Give Flores a break | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Flores a break

I don't understand what it's going to take for people to get this through their heads: There is a different between gutting the team and rebuilding, and what we're seeing here. What you do if you're planning on tanking is unload as many veteran contracts as you can, while building around the young talent you possess--particularly if that young talent is under control for years on dirt cheap rookie contracts.

That's not what's happening here. We're alienating and unloading our blue chip young talent, which isn't how you properly manage a tank job. It also needs to be stressed, what we're seeing on Sundays with this team, isn't just a tank job, it is historically bad football.

Even if you're aiming for the first pick in the draft, you still want to see certain things: good preparation, a good game plan, can the coach motivate the team, can the coach manage the clock, can the coach make proper adjustments, etc. We're not seeing any of that. Flores is way out of his depth. And if he and Grier and left in charge at the end of this season, this franchise is going to pay for it for the next decade plus.

The fact you say Flores gets an A+ so far would be downright laughable, if it wasn't so absurd and such a sad reflection of what the fans of this franchise have come to expect. Then again, there were folks on this forum defending Cam Cameron after the 1-15 season in 2007, so maybe it shouldn't come as a surprise. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

I am saying A+ in the context of this situation, which is unprecedented. I knew this would not go over well but Flores is doing a pretty good job handling a major disaster that he was handed.

Flo and staff ignoring the tank is pretty annoying. But look back at Ross's comments before this season. Flores was hired to handle this tank, Ross thought he was best equipped to handle an attempt at keeping a locker room together through a disaster season.

Okay, so if you think he was hired to 'handle the tank,' then the criteria is... that the team is incredibly bad and looks like a pure lock to get the #1 pick? In that case, I agree, it's an A+ job. This team is so bad, it's impressive. I think this is legitimately the worst football team I have ever watched. I do not say that lightly at all. I simply can't think of one that's worse, and I've been thinking about it since the 4th quarter.

Okay, so if you think he was hired to 'handle the tank,' then the criteria is... that the team is incredibly bad and looks like a pure lock to get the #1 pick? In that case, I agree, it's an A+ job. This team is so bad, it's impressive. I think this is legitimately the worst football team I have ever watched. I do not say that lightly at all. I simply can't think of one that's worse, and I've been thinking about it since the 4th quarter.

That is exactly what i'm saying.

Yes, this is the worst team i've ever watched, as well. However, it's important to remember Flores was hired because Ross thought he can handle this disaster 2019 season. He is doing the best he can with a sinking ship. Being willing to endure this season, which all staff knew was coming, likely got him the job. In that context, he is pretty good. Not ALL coaches could handle talking to the media with the worst team in history.

That is my point.

I'm going to withhold judgement on Flores for a few more weeks and see if we steadily improve. I saw defensive improvement today until the offense had them on the field for the entire second half.

Tanking.....or whatever we are witnessing has gutted this team, so Flores will have to do his best coaching job to keep it together and keep improving each week. We may not win any games, but some of the young kids should show steady progress, specifically on defense.

It is way too early to jettison anyone on this coaching staff......but if the play of the team doesn't improve, that time will come.

So if by A+ you mean Flores is preparing bad game plans, failing to motivate his team to compete, failing to make good halftime adjustments, and making bad in game decisions, and overall showcasing himself as being in way, way, way over his head, then sure, he gets an A+.

There is a reason every analyst thought the roster was historically bad. A significant lack of top end talent. I expected that the Patriots and the Ravens would score a combined 70 points. 104 is surprising, but there are extenuating circumstances.

Special teams were pathetic last year with so many new pieces. There were so many changes to the roster during the week before the season. That is on the front office. I am sure that Flores was involved, but let’s not pretend that he has a significant challenge in front of him.

It is admirable that Flores takes blame for how the team has played. There are plenty of excuses he could use, but that does not appear to be his style. Just breath, give the coaches a couple more games and the bye to coach up their players, and see what the team looks like during week 6.

That is exactly what i'm saying.

Yes, this is the worst team i've ever watched. However, I don't feel like this is on Flores. He is doing the best he can with a sinking ship. Flores was hired because he was most willing to endure this which all staff knew was coming.

That is my point.

So you're giving a guy props for doing his best which equates to the worst ever?

Don't think this one is gonna fly. :lol:

Even the 0-16 lions and Browns were more competitive. We’re going to be the standard for futility for generations to come.

Flo and staff ignoring the tank is pretty annoying. But look back at Ross's comments before this season. Flores was hired to handle this tank, Ross thought he was best equipped to handle an attempt at keeping a locker room together through a disaster season.
And players are asking to leave after one game. Is he keeping the room together? A+ job. My word. Even Mrs Flores doesn't believe that.

So you're giving a guy props for doing his best which equates to the worst ever?

Don't think this one is gonna fly. :lol:

I am not giving him anything. That is one of the main reasons he was hired. Have you been following what is going on? This isn't an emotional response, just reality.

What’s the NFL record for worst point differential in a season?
Because whatever it is, it’s about to be in 2nd place.
We’re looking at a season where Miami could go the entire season without leading, set a record for negative scoring differential, for shutouts in a season, fewest 1st downs ever, fewest yards ever, probably less than 5 takeaways on the season.

Miami on pace to give up 816 points. New England defense outscored Miami on the season today. This is something beyond tanking.

What’s the NFL record for worst point differential in a season?
Because whatever it is, it’s about to be in 2nd place.
They better polish that trophy and hand it in, because it's coming home to Maimi.

And players are asking to leave after one game. Is he keeping the room together? A+ job. My word. Even Mrs Flores doesn't believe that.

CBS stated there is no mutiny and it is just Minkah that wants out, due to not being able to handle the usage all over the backfield. The Dolphins don't even want to trade him, they gave permission to his agent to seek a trade IF it suits their value. I am not defending the straw man you created, go do more research and see why you wrong on your own time.

Back
Top Bottom