Give Me Gesicki | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Me Gesicki

In case people are unclear about Mike Gesicki, here is a direct comparison between Gesicki and Jimmy Graham.

Mike Gesicki:
Forty: 4.54
Vertical: 41.5"
Broad Jump: 10'9
Bench Press: 22
Three Cone: 6.76
Twenty Yard Shuttle: 4.1
Sixty Yard Shuttle: 11.33

Jimmy Graham:
Forty: 4.56
Vertical: 38.5"
Broad Jump: 10'0
Bench Press: DNP
Three Cone: 6.9
Twenty Yard Shuttle: DNP
Sixty Yard Shuttle: 11.76

So literally, in every single combine measurable that they both did, Mike Gesicki was just a tad better than Jimmy Graham athletically. The sole question marks were Bench Press and Twenty Yard Shuttle in which Jimmy Graham did not participate. I'm confident that Gesicki would have bench pressed more than Graham, and likely the twenty yard shuttle as well honestly.

So as far as basketball players go ... we have a phenom.

For comparison, when Rob Gronkowski came out (2010 like Jimmy Graham), he was coming off a major back injury, so the only drill he did was the bench press, and he did 23 reps, only 1 rep more than Gesicki.

IMHO, Mike Gesicki has the very real chance to become the best TE in Dolphins history (including Keith Jackson).

Phins Up!

To be absolutely blunt about the pick of a athletic TE....its about freaking time. You people through the years preaching hope and optimism, well tonight was a glimmer of it. Give me a TE who does TE things in the modern NFL, and you got a chance.

I still want a Guard or another TE though.

Could be an EPIC pic. I hope so.

Obvious super athlete -- not 100% football TUFF but we need impact players and this kid (PENN ST is still great pedigree) has huge upside.

If ?????? Gase is an offensive guru -- this kid should help him prove that -- perhaps in a very BIG way!

Here are Bucky Brooks' instant draft grades ... and understandably he LOVES Mike Gesicki. Lance Zerlein rated him as the top TE in the draft and compared him to Jimmy Graham. In another thread I compared him to Graham and Gesicki is slightly bigger, slightly longer, slightly stronger, slightly faster, and slightly better jumper than Jimmy Graham. Yeah ... we got a special TE.

You got your wish!

Something i was typing up earlier - You only take Gesicki if you are going to let him run vertical....seams, posts, corners, etc. and let him flex outside from time to time. He isn't physical and run after catch in traffic isn't great, so he doesn't excel in the trash underneath.....and blocking is terrible. If you aren't going to run those sets often, then it's a bit of an odd pick and defenses can key on plays based on his positioning. If you are going to use more set like that and tailor to his strengths......things could be fun!

Excellent points and the basis for my excitement. Dude was brought here to do what he does best, first and foremost. The rage for awhile was basketball players as TEs. Fluck that give me a volleyball player. Those guys are smooth atheltic freaks.

With that kind of athletic ability i'd be shocked if he couldn't develop adequate blocking abilities.

Mismatches galore with Parker, Stills and Grant. Jakeem Grant hasnt been talked about much this offseason but i think big things are in store for him.

Digital - if you think he can develop into even a half decent blocker i will be optimistic

I wouldn’t mind a blocking type TE later in the draft though after addressing other needs

Here are Bucky Brooks' instant draft grades ... and understandably he LOVES Mike Gesicki. Lance Zerlein rated him as the top TE in the draft and compared him to Jimmy Graham. In another thread I compared him to Graham and Gesicki is slightly bigger, slightly longer, slightly stronger, slightly faster, and slightly better jumper than Jimmy Graham. Yeah ... we got a special TE.

Matt Miller from NFL Draft Scout also rated him as his best tight end.

Between Goedert and Gesicki, we couldn't go wrong.

His timimg is flawless. Volleyball player shows on the football field. No wasted movements.

I have little doubt his blocking can become a strength. He's a lot bigger than Antonio Gates without as much wiggle. No defender wants to see the back of his jersey.

Excellent points and the basis for my excitement. Dude was brought here to do what he does best, first and foremost. The rage for awhile was basketball players as TEs. Fluck that give me a volleyball player. Those guys are smooth atheltic freaks.

With that kind of athletic ability i'd be shocked if he couldn't develop adequate blocking abilities.

Mismatches galore with Parker, Stills and Grant. Jakeem Grant hasnt been talked about much this offseason but i think big things are in store for him.

That rage was led by a HOF talent.

I am not tied so much to who we draft or when we draft them as long as they turn out to be solid players.

I've am very satisfied with this draft and was surprised by the selection of a safety. This is not a complaint on my part. It was just a surprise we addressed what I considered to be one of our stronger groups. This shows that our FO is not just addressing specific areas of need, but also planning for what we are going to be doing and how we are going to do it.

What I am truly happy about is the tremendous degree of positive responses to this draft from you guys. I've seen very little "the FO are idiots " and " the sky is falling" that up until today have been so prevalent. I am an unabashed optimist, but it looks like a lot of others on the forum are recognizing the possibility of a seriously productive season this year.

I believe the rest of the draft will actually be just as important as the first 3 picks. I'm looking forward to seeing which positions are addressed and how well the draftees do in training camp. I am also looking forward to our selection of UDFA's to see if we turn up one or two nice surprises. We've been doing OK so far. I believe that the number of free agent selections we make the rest of this year will tell us how the FO really feels about how the draft went. The fewer free agents we add, the more satisfied they are with the draft.

I'm looking forward to seeing what is in store for us this year. I hope some of you feel the same.

Back
Top Bottom