Give Me Gesicki | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Me Gesicki

It makes me laugh that people would pass on a potential scary play making TE because he struggles to block. What's more important? Blocking or creating a huge mismatch that changes the whole offense and forces teams to pick their poison?

As long as the guy can bring some physicality to his position then i'm pleased with the pick. There is no doubt about his skill-sets.

I vaguely remember reading on FH about someone bumping into Bill Parcells (who was running the Dolphins at the time with Jeff Ireland as his GM). From recollection the question was asked by the poster specifically about Rob Gronkowski before he had even played an NFL game and the need to draft him in the 2nd round to get him. Seem to vaguely recall that Bill Parcells was extremely negative to the question and responded with a big time put down about fans who don't understand why Tight Ends should never get drafted before the 3rd round (Parcells Draft rule #154.2). The great irony in all of this is that Belichick knew all of the Parcells Draft rules from the Giants and Jets days and swooped on Gronk in the 2nd round.
Does anyone else remember this from the time that Gronk got drafted?

Pats grabbed Gronk in the 2nd and Hernandez in the 4th (not so ironically because of character issues).

Between Gesicki and Smythe also demonstrating an ability to catch the ball as well as block, maybe we can replicate that magic!

the basketball background makes me think of Graham, Gates, Gonzalez (it's a G thing!).

i don't think tony gonzalez could block when he came into the league, but he worked at it and improved over his career (he was 6/5" 243, gesicki is 6'6" 249)

I have several family members who live in the same town where Mike Gesicki is from. It’s one of the last shore towns that are on the larger side, thats become very commecialized. But with that being said, everyone knows everyone. Still has a small town feel to it, where everyone goes to the same schools, churches and shops the same stores. In talking to my family, It was known how much Gesicki loved Miami and was hoping he’d get selected by the team. I got a message Friday afternoon, giving me a heads up about Gesicki. Lets just say, i rate the draft an A+ just because of Gesicki. This kid is an incredible human being and an incredible athlete, who loves working on his craft. Miami got a winner with him.

A little devil's advocate

Smythe blocks near or better than Gronk and Gesicki is more athletic than all three.

Yeah, uh, Gronk is the best player in the NFL. Great blocker and probably the best receiving threat in the league. Hernandez was also a competent blocker in addition to being a dangerous receiving threat. I'm pretty optimistic about the philosophy we've had here in the draft concerning the TE position, but let's pump the brakes on these comparisons. If we wind up with players comparable to Jimmy Graham and Anthony Fasano, that will still be great.

I’m very optimistic Miami has finally solved it’s problem at TE. I think Gesicki and Smythe compliment each other well. Smythe is a underrated receiver who wasn’t used in that capacity to often at ND. I think Gesicki represents more of a seam/downfield threat, whereas Smythe will be more of an intermediate, underneath route type of TE. I think the group of TE’s Miami now has offers a diverse skillset.

another thing about gesicki is he goes up and gets the ball at its highest point and has extremely good body control and timing in the air...his skills as a volleyball player probably help him in that aspect.

Also, Tannehill is a way better qb than Trace McSorely and Christian Hackenberg.

Pats grabbed Gronk in the 2nd and Hernandez in the 4th (not so ironically because of character issues).

Between Gesicki and Smythe also demonstrating an ability to catch the ball as well as block, maybe we can replicate that magic!

Both of them, with broken legs, are better than JT. And Gesicki's threat will help the run game and other receivers. What I can't find is how 'bad' is his blocking? Nonexistent or just 'average bad?'

Back
Top Bottom