Give me one of these | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give me one of these

Neither of them might get to us anyway. I could live with Smith or Waddle over Pitts or Chase if I get Williams, too, tbh. I wouldn't be shedding a tear over that.
I'm just not a believer in Smith... I think he'll be a WR2 in the NFL. Waddle won't be a #1 either, but he could be an electric slot receiver... I respect both players for what they bring, I just don't think that what they bring justifies a top 10 pick.

In a perfect world.

We need the Lions, Panthers or Broncos to really want Mac Jones or Trey Lance.
Jones won't be there. It's been widely reported that's who the 49ers targeting. I tend to believe what I've read and heard in that regard. That's why they made the trade ... they wanted Wilson or Jones.

Which probably works better for the Dolphins because that means you are looking at Fields and Lance ... or maybe just one of them left on the board at 6 ... and a Panthers team that has experienced success with dual-threat QBs.

Its funny, everyone (myself included) is pretty much finding different ways to say the same things over and over again.

For the sake of talking about something new.....

I would be shocked if Denver hasn’t talked to Atlanta already about pick 4. Carolina obviously isn’t making that call to Atlanta so we have to have some idea already if they are in the market for the 6th pick, should their guy become available.

I’m leaning strongly towards QBs are going 1-4, one way or another.

The lions are in the infancy of their rebuild. They are in position to land a 10 year blue chipper, if I were them I’d find the one most likely to re-sign in Detroit and draft that guy. They could go in a lot of directions, a true enigma right now.

Matt Rhule wants talent at QB, he needs it now. The only other option for them is to collect 2022 assets and continue to build that roster (and waste another prime year for CMAC).

Denver, similarly to Carolina, needs that alpha QB. I think if Atlanta is sticking with Ryan they should be receptive to moving down to 9 and picking up some more immediate assets. Gotta have a big arm to play in Denver. I like Fields there if he doesn’t go to SF.

Mac Jones really going 3rd? I don’t buy it. I’d love to see it though.

Id love to see someone trade up to 4 and 5, before the draft. Our FO really needs to focus on what we can accomplish with pick 18, ie, who will be available at 10-14 that we should move up for.

I am not typically a fan of giving up assets to move up but if ever there is a year to move up to the 10 or just outside of, it’s when QBs go 1-4 and push top positional talent down.

Jones won't be there. It's been widely reported that's who the 49ers targeting. I tend to believe what I've read and heard in that regard. That's why they made the trade ... they wanted Wilson or Jones.

Which probably works better for the Dolphins because that means you are looking at Fields and Lance ... or maybe just one of them left on the board at 6 ... and a Panthers team that has experienced success with dual-threat QBs.

Jones might be there at 4.

Your decision to believe what’s being “widely reported” 4 weeks before the draft is your decision.

I think Fields makes more sense for them.

I'm just not a believer in Smith... I think he'll be a WR2 in the NFL. Waddle won't be a #1 either, but he could be an electric slot receiver... I respect both players for what they bring, I just don't think that what they bring justifies a top 10 pick.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see a great deal of difference, and, I think in terms of fitting what the Dolphins lack, Waddle becomes closer to Chase in terms of impact and value.

I'm not ruling out that either Chase, Pitts or both still is on the board at 7 or 8 either. I know everyone's in love with the generation talent that is Pitts. I'm looking at the teams in the top 8, though ... you need to have slots where people aren't going elsewhere. It's not out of the question that 5 of the first 6 picks are QBs ... I said a couple of months ago when Jones' stock started to rise that I thought 5 QBs would go top 10 and Trask would end up in the first round and no one listened, which is fine, but that's how it appears to be playing out. There are a lot of QB-hungry teams and there's a deeper crop of potentially elite QBs in this draft than 2022.

The Falcons are the one that will most impact the Dolphins. If they go Pitts. And yeah, there's this talk that Burrow wants the Bengals to take Chase over the guy who can keep him upright, and Cincy has to consider that, but, you know, there are fewer OTs in Sewell's category in this draft than WRs that can produce. Bengals put Sewell at LT ... they draft Toney to start the second round ... they've done a lot more to improve themselves than drafting Chase and gambling on a developmental lineman in the second round.

Now you're talking about -- barring the Lions trading out of 7 (and they potentially could trade with the Dolphins to move up to 6, too) -- the possibility of Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith still on the board at 7, as well as the best defensive player in the draft, since the first six all would be offense.

Sure, it might not work out that way, but there are reasons to think it might.

For the sake of talking about something new.....

I would be shocked if Denver hasn’t talked to Atlanta already about pick 4. Carolina obviously isn’t making that call to Atlanta so we have to have some idea already if they are in the market for the 6th pick, should their guy become available.

I’m leaning strongly towards QBs are going 1-4, one way or another.

The lions are in the infancy of their rebuild. They are in position to land a 10 year blue chipper, if I were them I’d find the one most likely to re-sign in Detroit and draft that guy. They could go in a lot of directions, a true enigma right now.

Matt Rhule wants talent at QB, he needs it now. The only other option for them is to collect 2022 assets and continue to build that roster (and waste another prime year for CMAC).

Denver, similarly to Carolina, needs that alpha QB. I think if Atlanta is sticking with Ryan they should be receptive to moving down to 9 and picking up some more immediate assets. Gotta have a big arm to play in Denver. I like Fields there if he doesn’t go to SF.

Mac Jones really going 3rd? I don’t buy it. I’d love to see it though.

Id love to see someone trade up to 4 and 5, before the draft. Our FO really needs to focus on what we can accomplish with pick 18, ie, who will be available at 10-14 that we should move up for.

I am not typically a fan of giving up assets to move up but if ever there is a year to move up to the 10 or just outside of, it’s when QBs go 1-4 and push top positional talent down.

I just said what you said in a different way ....

I hope you're wrong. We need a #1 level weapon and I would hate if we ended up potentially passing on two of them in order to gain a 2023 pick.

If Chase and Pitts are gone by our pick, Grier's rep relies a on our guy matching (or surpassing) the success of those guys.

It's hard for me to project Devanta to the next level. He literally has my build (let's ignore musculature here), but the guy's tape screams draft me. I really didn't see his frame ever be a detriment in college. Even seen him almost use it as an advantage to beat press on plays by turning slightly to the side, leaving the defender with even less surface area to get his hands on.

Are we overthinking this dude's outlier body type? I really don't know.

Last edited:
Jones might be there at 4.

Your decision to believe what’s being “widely reported” 4 weeks before the draft is your decision.

I think Fields makes more sense for them.

As is your decision not to believe it. The thing is it's gained traction among pretty reputable experts, insiders and analysts, and I think, when you look at it, it just makes a lot more sense than otherwise.

I don't think Fields makes a lot of sense, having seen as much of him as I have living in Big Ten country. Honestly, I think he has the biggest bust potentially of any of the top five. He might have a higher ceiling than Jones, but I think you know more of what you're getting with Jones. I don't think the 49ers are trading up to 3 to get such a wild card as Fields.

I think if we believe Humphrey is worth #36, then we should be priorizing the C position over RB. I wish I could include Dickerson, but that injury history is not good. Wouldn't draft him before #50, and I don't know if I'd ever feel comfortable relying on him despite my belief in his ability.

I don't like that we really only have a wildcard discount center that has proven to be solid in the past, but was also benched last year. We have no idea which Skura we're getting.

You want competence across your oline. I think having a weak link there can be much more detrimental to the team than having to settle on the RB pairing of one of the 2nd tier guys (like Carter or Gainwell) and Gaskin.
I agree. I've been seeing some mocks that have NYJ taking Humphrey at #23. I think that's a little high, but the Jets also pick in front of Miami in round two. If center is being projected that high to New York, Dickerson might be more realistic at #36. His injury history is pretty substantial, though.

I know a lot of fans love Meinerz, but truth is I don't think he's a plug and play guy. He played guard until the Senior Bowl.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't see a great deal of difference, and, I think in terms of fitting what the Dolphins lack, Waddle becomes closer to Chase in terms of impact and value.

I'm not ruling out that either Chase, Pitts or both still is on the board at 7 or 8 either. I know everyone's in love with the generation talent that is Pitts. I'm looking at the teams in the top 8, though ... you need to have slots where people aren't going elsewhere. It's not out of the question that 5 of the first 6 picks are QBs ... I said a couple of months ago when Jones' stock started to rise that I thought 5 QBs would go top 10 and Trask would end up in the first round and no one listened, which is fine, but that's how it appears to be playing out. There are a lot of QB-hungry teams and there's a deeper crop of potentially elite QBs in this draft than 2022.

The Falcons are the one that will most impact the Dolphins. If they go Pitts. And yeah, there's this talk that Burrow wants the Bengals to take Chase over the guy who can keep him upright, and Cincy has to consider that, but, you know, there are fewer OTs in Sewell's category in this draft than WRs that can produce. Bengals put Sewell at LT ... they draft Toney to start the second round ... they've done a lot more to improve themselves than drafting Chase and gambling on a developmental lineman in the second round.

Now you're talking about -- barring the Lions trading out of 7 (and they potentially could trade with the Dolphins to move up to 6, too) -- the possibility of Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith still on the board at 7, as well as the best defensive player in the draft, since the first six all would be offense.

Sure, it might not work out that way, but there are reasons to think it might.
Agree with almost all of that... I've always thought that QBs would rise and now, I think they'll go 1-4, with Cincy going Chase or Sewell...

I've also argued that the WRs would slide more than the FH denizens think that they will. We saw this last year and the years before as well... there is a tendency here to assume that every other team is interested in the same positions and players that we are.

This is one of the reasons that I wanted to stay at 12. I really thought that one of OUR targets would slide to us.

I hope you're wrong. We need a #1 level weapon and I would hate if we ended up potentially passing on two of them in order to gain a 2023 pick.

If Chase and Pitts are gone by our pick, Grier rep relies a on our guy matching (or surpassing) the success of those guys.
Could be... unlike a lot of the people here, I always admit that my takes are opinions.

Which, I think is different that the draft guys here at FH. Most of them speak in absolutes... This guy is absolutely better, such and such expert says so... or I watch so much film that you should listen to me...

There is a general lack of humility in so many, but I guess this is a sports board and many of them want to be Jim Rome.

Smith, Chase, Pitts, Waddle, Bateman

one of these
Paye, Basham, Sample

one of these
Dickerson, Humphrey, Meinerz

one of these
Collins, Ojulari, J. Davis, E. Smith

one of these
Harris, Williams, Etienne, Gainwell, Mitchell

I am good
Not necessarily in that order but for the most part I agree. 6- WR/TE: Pitts, Chase or Smith 18-DE/LB: Ojulari, Rousseau, Phillips, Oweh, Ossai or Owusu-Karamoa 36-RB: Devonte Williams, M Harris, ETN 50- OC/S: Dickerson, Meinerz or Trevon Moehrig

Agree with almost all of that... I've always thought that QBs would rise and now, I think they'll go 1-4, with Cincy going Chase or Sewell...

I've also argued that the WRs would slide more than the FH denizens think that they will. We saw this last year and the years before as well... there is a tendency here to assume that every other team is interested in the same positions and players that we are.

This is one of the reasons that I wanted to stay at 12. I really thought that one of OUR targets would slide to us.

The thing is with staying at 12 as opposed to moving up to 6 ... while I feel pretty good that we'd get one of those four receiving targets or an impact defensive player, it wasn't as certain. We didn't overpay to move up to 6, but we now we're in a position where we can dictate some things in this draft better than at 12. We gave ourselves flexibility. We have teams that want QBs and that 6 pick is a hub because the Dolphins don't necessarily need to be there ... but several other teams would like to be or need to be.

It affords the Dolphins the ability to shape the upper half of the draft, induce a bidding war, and then the Dolphins can make a second team overpay to trade up.

Here's the other thing ... the Dolphins shaping the top 10 will have a trickle-down effect. All these QBs going early helps the Dolphins in a lot of ways, and it's making some very talented prospects slip. You weren't talking about the possibility of Parsons or Kwity Paye or Rousseau being on the board at 18 before Jones shot up the board. Now you might have the Dolphins sitting at 18 with more than one of them still on the board ... and there's more opportunity that comes with that.

I thought the same thing. I would not be surprised if Philly ends up being able to draft one one of Waddle or Smith. Our FO just didn't seem to be willing to take that chance.

I agree. I've been seeing some mocks that have NYJ taking Humphrey at #23. I think that's a little high, but the Jets also pick in front of Miami in round two. If center is being projected that high to New York, Dickerson might be more realistic at #36. His injury history is pretty substantial, though.

I know a lot of fans love Meinerz, but truth is I don't think he's a plug and play guy. He played guard until the Senior Bowl.
I don't think Humphrey is a great fit for many teams that want those mobile centers that can pull. That's going to limit the number of teams that will take him. He is a great fit for Miami though.

Back
Top Bottom