GM Chris Grier and HC Brian Flores meet with the media at the NFL Combine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Chris Grier and HC Brian Flores meet with the media at the NFL Combine

I mean Coach Flo absolutely could still play. Dude looks ready to compete out there this week.
Agreed. I like the fact that our coach looks like he could kick the crap out of a large number of actual NFL players! Also, he's gotten so much more comfortable doing press conferences.

Last edited:
If you listen to BOTH of them very carefully, (I am reading tea leaves here) BOTH say that building a team is the most important thing, it's not about one position, etc, etc,...I think these two are VERY comfortable letting the draft come to them and making tons of picks. I don't sense they feel the urgency to draft a QB at 5. It could be "smoke screening" on their part, obviously, but I think the vibe coming from them is that it is not worth selling the farm for any one player.
And another curious thing- both said or implied that they haven't met Tua yet(tough to tell w/Flores because I couldn't hear the ?s) but we as fans all think they've wanted Tua since September, when in reality they haven't even met him to know what he's all about.
Anything can happen, obviously, but I think, based on listening to them, to assume that they are going to go all in for Tua at 5 AT THIS POINT is not what they are thinking. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if they trade out of 5 with Tua sitting there either. Can you imagine the haul they could get for that?
I read a blurb about Tua on another site, about his risk not so much because of the injury but that he is a "system" QB from Alabama. I would like to know more how that translate to what we plan to do. But the writer was convinced that the Alabama Tua is not going to be the same in the pros. I wish I could find the link to it.

Their PC strategy is very clear, avoid anything specific about Tua and lump the QB position with every other positions. Trade up, trade down, everything is on the table.

In other words, anything is possible and spend 15-20 minutes explaining it.

Their PC strategy is very clear, avoid anything specific about Tua and lump the QB position with every other positions. Trade up, trade down, everything is on the table.

coach speak for front office folk.

Yeah. Don't know how anyone could buy that they haven't discussed trade up possibilities with other teams yet, especially when there are a ton of reports saying that we have been for awhile.

Yeah. Don't know how anyone could buy that they haven't discussed trade up possibilities with other teams yet, especially when there are a ton of reports saying that we have been for awhile.
I like to watch these and match certain expressions that both the GM and HC use word for word... Gives you an idea of what they are trying to accomplish(be as vague as possible). "Every positions are important" came up a couple of times. In regards to Tua -> "I havent even met with him yet" was used by both word for word but neither of them used it when asked about Herbert.

There's really not alot I can draw from this but its still interesting to me.

If you listen to BOTH of them very carefully, (I am reading tea leaves here) BOTH say that building a team is the most important thing, it's not about one position, etc, etc,...I think these two are VERY comfortable letting the draft come to them and making tons of picks. I don't sense they feel the urgency to draft a QB at 5. It could be "smoke screening" on their part, obviously, but I think the vibe coming from them is that it is not worth selling the farm for any one player.
And another curious thing- both said or implied that they haven't met Tua yet(tough to tell w/Flores because I couldn't hear the ?s) but we as fans all think they've wanted Tua since September, when in reality they haven't even met him to know what he's all about.
Anything can happen, obviously, but I think, based on listening to them, to assume that they are going to go all in for Tua at 5 AT THIS POINT is not what they are thinking. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if they trade out of 5 with Tua sitting there either. Can you imagine the haul they could get for that?
I read a blurb about Tua on another site, about his risk not so much because of the injury but that he is a "system" QB from Alabama. I would like to know more how that translate to what we plan to do. But the writer was convinced that the Alabama Tua is not going to be the same in the pros. I wish I could find the link to it.

This is well said and I can appreciate your thought process. However, I feel as if this is coach speak. If they tip their hand there is no way Miami gets a reasonable trade up. While waiting for the draft come to them sounds good, a trade will not pillage all of our impactful picks; IMO of course. I personally cannot see them trading down at this point, no matter how many holes you will cover you cannot overlook the QB position. And lets say Miami stocks up the roster well between FA and a draft that includes trade down ending with 16 total picks with 8 being in the first 3 rounds. While it may set up Miami well; winning just 6 games puts Miami between 8-11 next year. With only 2 guys with will receive a 1st round grade likely being #1 and 2 respectively, if people think this year is an overpay next year will make people pass out and go into a coma to move from 10 to 1.

I know meeting a guy and really digging in helps you get a true feeling about who he is, but with the era of technology and social media the foundation of that is well established by this point. Tua's personality and character is well known and established, now whether they value that isnt known. And as far as the system QB, that seems ridiculous. He had 3 different OC's in 3 years at Bama. And he won the Elite 11 MVP as a junior in HS I believe. I think whomever wrote that was extrapolating a bit much.

Last edited:

If they are cool letting it come to them then I think they are dumb frankly.

even Flores can’t escape the qb aspect of things but so long. No matter what else he puts on the field

Coaches, FO personnel and players are all very well "coached" in conducting these interviews these days, rarely does stuff like "I would sell my entire draft for Ricky Williams" get out. In a lot of instances it's really not worth the effort of listening to them speak anymore. Everything is done behind closed doors, leaks are done on purpose and with intent.

Back
Top Bottom