GM Chris Grier and HC Brian Flores meet with the media at the NFL Combine | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Chris Grier and HC Brian Flores meet with the media at the NFL Combine

I read a blurb about Tua on another site, about his risk not so much because of the injury but that he is a "system" QB from Alabama. I would like to know more how that translate to what we plan to do. But the writer was convinced that the Alabama Tua is not going to be the same in the pros. I wish I could find the link to it.

if you believe that well... he proved this was not true... 3 OCs 3 new offenses excelled in each

Coaches, FO personnel and players are all very well "coached" in conducting these interviews these days, rarely does stuff like "I would sell my entire draft for Ricky Williams" get out. In a lot of instances it's really not worth the effort of listening to them speak anymore. Everything is done behind closed doors, leaks are done on purpose and with intent.
bingo

I like to watch these and match certain expressions that both the GM and HC use word for word... Gives you an idea of what they are trying to accomplish(be as vague as possible). "Every positions are important" came up a couple of times. In regards to Tua -> "I havent even met with him yet" was used by both word for word but neither of them used it when asked about Herbert.

There's really not alot I can draw from this but its still interesting to me.

Yes everything they said they didn't do, they did already and everything they said they did do they likley didn't

Like Ross and Grier totaling the organization to ground zero from March to August

The other options . . .
They DID talk about him and LOVE him = smokescreen
They DID talk about him, but seemed neutral = hiding their cards
They DID talk about him and hate him = coaches don't do that, even if they DO hate a player.

I place no importance on any of this. I can spin any scenario any way I want

Exactly...lol

Media is a powerful influence on the minds of many. Print or otherwise....
Which is precisely why I posted here hoping for some insight. I know the posters on here know their ****. I am not an X's and O's guy and will not pretend to be. But I will ask a million questions till I get the right answer.

I read a blurb about Tua on another site, about his risk not so much because of the injury but that he is a "system" QB from Alabama. I would like to know more how that translate to what we plan to do. But the writer was convinced that the Alabama Tua is not going to be the same in the pros. I wish I could find the link to it.
I totally agree with that. Put him in any system and you have your stud QB.

if you believe that well... he proved this was not true... 3 OCs 3 new offenses excelled in each

I think it's fair to question if he will look as good when he's facing a higher caliber of NFL players weekly and he doesn't have 90% of the best players on the field each game are on his team. That being said he might not look as dominate as he did in college, but he should be more than good enough to excell to some degree in the NFL. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a system qb, but I would say his career has benifited from playing with Alabama instead of say Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Which is precisely why I posted here hoping for some insight. I know the posters on here know their ****. I am not an X's and O's guy and will not pretend to be. But I will ask a million questions till I get the right answer.

I understand.

Just ask yourself one question - why would a writer make the assumption that a quarterback like Tua was a system quarterback, yet no such premise about a quarterback like Joe Burrow.

Look at the facts of the entire situation and ask yourself if it even makes sense from just purely a football perspective.

I think it's fair to question if he will look as good when he's facing a higher caliber of NFL players weekly and he doesn't have 90% of the best players on the field each game are on his team. That being said he might not look as dominate as he did in college, but he should be more than good enough to excell to some degree in the NFL. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a system qb, but I would say his career has benifited from playing with Alabama instead of say Vanderbilt.

Look Tua is no system QB he is the System - yes he ran up the scores and his stats would look even more ridiculous but he finished few games he started

Joe B was three years older than many of the players he faced and the skill around him was comparable - can he do what Tua - I doubt it based on what I saw

In due Time people will see just how special Tua is

Look Tua is no system QB he is the System - yes he ran up the scores and his stats would look even more ridiculous but he finished few games he started

Joe B was three years older than many of the players he faced and the skill around him was comparable - can he do what Tua - I doubt it based on what I saw

In due Time people will see just how special Tua is

I'm just saying it would be hard to say Tua would look the same regardless ofif he played for Alabama and was surrounded by the best talent on the field rather than playey with lesser talent. That's like saying Mahomes would look the same playing with the Chiefs as he would playing for a team with a horrible o-line, no running game and poor recievers. It's not saying Tua is bad or untalented, but everyone always benifits by playing with better teammates and coaches.

I'm just saying it would be hard to say Tua would look the same regardless ofif he played for Alabama and was surrounded by the best talent on the field rather than playey with lesser talent. That's like saying Mahomes would look the same playing with the Chiefs as he would playing for a team with a horrible o-line, no running game and poor recievers. It's not saying Tua is bad or untalented, but everyone always benifits by playing with better teammates and coaches.

I don’t think anyone would deny that any quarterback prefers to be surrounded with good players and coaches as opposed to the alternative.

However, very few QB’s would be able to do what Tua did even if they were surrounded with those players. Jalen Hurts can tell you. And all Bama’s receivers will tell you.

For a lot of quarterbacks it doesn’t matter what situation they’re in. They’re just not it.

And I will agree with you, but there are stats out there showing he was the 2nd most accurate QB in college football at throwing exactly where he was supposed to. That's an elite trait that completely takes the pass catching talent out of the equation.

I don’t think anyone would deny that any quarterback prefers to be surrounded with good players and coaches as opposed to the alternative.

However, very few QB’s would be able to do what Tua did even if they were surrounded with those players. Jalen Hurts can tell you. And all Bama’s receivers will tell you.

For a lot of quarterbacks it doesn’t matter what situation they’re in. They’re just not it.

Yes, that's why I'm saying he wouldn't become a bad or even just average qb, just that he obviously would obviously look better with NFL o-line talent, Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith at receiver than if he played second and third level NCAA talent around him. He's not a system qb, but it had to help him to some degree to play at Alabama than to play at Tulane.

Yes, that's why I'm saying he wouldn't become a bad or even just average qb, just that he obviously would obviously look better with NFL o-line talent, Jeudy, Ruggs and Smith at receiver than if he played second and third level NCAA talent around him. He's not a system qb, but it had to help him to some degree to play at Alabama than to play at Tulane.

I don’t really disagree with what you’re trying to say - I just disagree with the spirit of it. Tua helped all those players around him look better more than they helped him look good.

I think the spirit of what you’re saying would apply more to a QB like Joe Burrow and how fortunate he was to end up at LSU surrounded by the situation he found himself in. As opposed to Tulane.

A QB like Justin Herbert wouldn’t be able to do what Tua did at Alabama with those players. He would’ve still been holding the football on all those passes that had to be so precise in terms of timing and accuracy to result in all those touchdowns for everybody.

Everybody eats when Tua is dealing.

Back
Top Bottom