GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Now that Tyler Kroft (TE) and Isaiah Wynn (RT) are signed, my guess is the Dolphins are done with free agents. There are no real impact players left. They have pretty much burned through all of their existing cap space. I think they had ~$3mm left before the Wynn deal was announced. Come June 1, about $13.5mm more will free up with the Byron Jones release. The good news about not having much of a draft class is they don't need to set aside a lot of money to sign the draftees. My guess is there will be about $10mm left after the draft class is signed. Enough to pay Dalvin Cook. However, the Dolphins have Tua's salary jumping up to $20mm and change next year, and probably need to pay up for Christian Wilkins as well. They could bank the $10mm at this point, and have it roll over into next year's cap, giving them more roster flexibility for next year so there is less pressure to jettison players because of the cap. Maybe they can still get lucky and deal Cedric Wilson. They might be able to get out from under Ogbah next year as well. And maybe even Xavien Howard, depending on how Cam Smith looks. But as of now, those are all maybe's. It is also unclear if Tua can make it through a whole season healthy, and the schedule this year is pretty tough as well. At this point, GM me is not going all in on this year (we have done enough) and I bank the money to help next year. I think the running back room as it stands now is fine, and GM me does not spend $8mm on a running back in the modern NFL. I would have invested more into the OL early in FA, but that didn't happen, so as things stand now I put the money in the bank and preserve more flexibility for next year.

Now that Tyler Kroft (TE) and Isaiah Wynn (RT) are signed, my guess is the Dolphins are done with free agents. There are no real impact players left. They have pretty much burned through all of their existing cap space. I think they had ~$3mm left before the Wynn deal was announced. Come June 1, about $13.5mm more will free up with the Byron Jones release. The good news about not having much of a draft class is they don't need to set aside a lot of money to sign the draftees. My guess is there will be about $10mm left after the draft class is signed. Enough to pay Dalvin Cook. However, the Dolphins have Tua's salary jumping up to $20mm and change next year, and probably need to pay up for Christian Wilkins as well. They could bank the $10mm at this point, and have it roll over into next year's cap, giving them more roster flexibility for next year so there is less pressure to jettison players because of the cap. Maybe they can still get lucky and deal Cedric Wilson. They might be able to get out from under Ogbah next year as well. And maybe even Xavien Howard, depending on how Cam Smith looks. But as of now, those are all maybe's. It is also unclear if Tua can make it through a whole season healthy, and the schedule this year is pretty tough as well. At this point, GM me is not going all in on this year (we have done enough) and I bank the money to help next year. I think the running back room as it stands now is fine, and GM me does not spend $8mm on a running back in the modern NFL. I would have invested more into the OL early in FA, but that didn't happen, so as things stand now I put the money in the bank and preserve more flexibility for next year.
I am all for saving money for a rainy day.
Do we really need Cook?
If we count Achane, we have three backs to give playing time. Cook likely puts Achane on the PS where he may get scooped up and we do not have him for 2024.
I am not trying to minimize Cook’s talent, just asking if he is needed as much as something else.

Do we really need Cook?
If we count Achane, we have three backs to give playing time. Cook likely puts Achane on the PS where he may get scooped up and we do not have him for 2024.
I am not trying to minimize Cook’s talent, just asking if he is needed as much as something else.
We have to trade wilson if he comes.

They can free up more cap space with a Wilkins deal.

Do we really need Cook?

I would bet good money that Achane does not end up on the practice squad. (And if we count Achane, Miami has six backs. Cook would make seven. Chris Brooks would make eight.)

I would bet good money that Achane does not end up on the practice squad. (And if we count Achane, Miami has six backs. Cook would make seven. Chris Brooks would make eight.)
Yeah, no chance in hell he is exposed on the PS. Better chance he is out on semi fake IR than that if for some strange reason the wanted to stash him for a year.

We have the same running back room as last season currently plus one rookie who might get some utility snaps and definitely KR snaps… we don’t really know yet what kind of RB snaps the rookie will get.

Raheem Mostert is our only really legit quality RB and he’s generally injured - last year was his healthiest in many seasons. It would be like betting Armstead will play a full season for us - you wouldn’t.

So as of now, our only definitive starting RB talent we have is Mostert who is expected to miss time… we have room for one more RB.

Jeff Wilson proved nothing last year and is basically a depth piece only. He was up and down and generally struggled just like the entire team when we ran in expected running plays outside of his one really good game. He also offers ZERO trade value to the guy who suggested it… he was probably just happy to get the minimum contract we gave him.

Depth is very underrated on this forum and perhaps in general. Every single team has injuries every year - it’s the teams that are prepared for them that have sustained success.

Do we really need Cook?
Practice Squad for Achane?? You're talking about practice squad? Practice squad??

We have the same running back room as last season currently plus one rookie who might get some utility snaps and definitely KR snaps… we don’t really know yet what kind of RB snaps the rookie will get.

Raheem Mostert is our only really legit quality RB and he’s generally injured - last year was his healthiest in many seasons. It would be like betting Armstead will play a full season for us - you wouldn’t.

So as of now, our only definitive starting RB talent we have is Mostert who is expected to miss time… we have room for one more RB.

Jeff Wilson proved nothing last year and is basically a depth piece only. He was up and down and generally struggled just like the entire team when we ran in expected running plays outside of his one really good game. He also offers ZERO trade value to the guy who suggested it… he was probably just happy to get the minimum contract we gave him.

Depth is very underrated on this forum and perhaps in general. Every single team has injuries every year - it’s the teams that are prepared for them that have sustained success.

I feel you're being a little hard on Jeff Wilson here. I agree that he's a part of a committee and doesn't have much trade value.

...however.

When healthy, and used properly, Jeff Wilson is a nasty part of that committee. The guy has produced at pretty much every opportunity. 176 rushes last year for 860 yards isn't something you just cast aside.

I think anyone who prefers Miami not sign Cook is going to have to make peace with it soon enough.

What the Vikings are doing doesn’t make much sense unless they’re holding onto him until after June 1 to deal him to Miami. They could have already cut him with a post-June 1 designation if they wanted to cut him post-June 1, and they would have already traded him if any team that wasn’t waiting for post-June 1 cap space wanted to trade for him.

The fact that he’s still a Viking strongly suggests to me this is all orchestrated to wait for Miami’s cap space to open up on June 1.

I think anyone who prefers Miami not sign Cook is going to have to make peace with it soon enough.

What the Vikings are doing doesn’t make much sense unless they’re holding onto him until after June 1 to deal him to Miami. They could have already cut him with a post-June 1 designation if they wanted to cut him post-June 1, and they would have already traded him if any team that wasn’t waiting for post-June 1 cap space wanted to trade for him.

The fact that he’s still a Viking strongly suggests to me this is all orchestrated to wait for Miami’s cap space to open up on June 1.
Not sure I follow the logic. They are waiting for the same reason Jones is a post June first. To spread the dead cap over 2 years. Once they make the cut, they no longer have his rights, and can't trade him to anyone. That's not to say they have to cut him immediately, but why would Miami trade for him and assume the contract, when they can just wait and get him cheaper as a FA?

Your post is a rationalization.

Not sure I follow the logic. They are waiting for the same reason Jones is a post June first. To spread the dead cap over 2 years. Once they make the cut, they no longer have his rights, and can't trade him to anyone. That's not to say they have to cut him immediately, but why would Miami trade for him and assume the contract, when they can just wait and get him cheaper as a FA?

Your post is a rationalization.

It's not a huge stretch to come to that conclusion, imo.

Why haven't the Vikings released Dalvin Cook yet?

Back
Top Bottom