GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters
In all honesty the room is pretty set right now as it stands. Talented vet, semi talented vet, really talented rookie, veteran depth, veteran depth. Mostert, Wilson, Achane, Gaskin, Ahmed.

Cook is a luxury we don’t need but…

Who doesn’t want a luxury?
Exactly. Tyreek and Ramsey and Chubb were all luxuries we didn’t need, too. This current leadership group has proven they like to double down with top talent at position groups they deem important.

And my view is that they’ve shown us over the past year that they think RB is important.

In all honesty the room is pretty set right now as it stands. Talented vet, semi talented vet, really talented rookie, veteran depth, veteran depth. Mostert, Wilson, Achane, Gaskin, Ahmed.

Cook is a luxury we don’t need but…

Who doesn’t want a luxury?
I think he is more than a luxury, given the amount of times Mostert and Wilson get injured. If we bring in Cook we should still have fresh legs come post season. Unlike last year.

I guess it all depends upon how you feel about our running back room. I think he’s an incremental upgrade and possibly not worth it from a cost benefit standpoint especially based on drafting achane who last reported is up to 192 pounds, but also, I think McDaniel wants to see what he has in him. But, you never know I suppose…
Incremental over who? You obviously have not seen what he can do when healthy.

To be fair, that’s not what the guy was saying. His point isn’t inconsistent with yours. He was responding to the point about Wilkins getting extended in a way that would lower his 2023 cap number, and he asked why they would need to extend him in a way that lowers his 2023 cap number since they already will have enough money to sign Cook with the Byron Jones savings.

Basically you’re both right.
The sad part... and it happens continuously, is there is a sizable % of finfans who are more than willing to spend every single dollar that the team can get their hands on... for short-term excitement.

Sign this player? Hell yes! Sign that player? Him too! Sign 4 Guards and 3 RBs and to Hell with the fact that we'd lose them all next year when the bill comes due. Only this year matters!!!!

It's thoughtless...

and these same folks will bitch the following year when players are leaving in droves. But then... they will have... ahem... forgotten that they themselves endorsed every single expensive signing.

Who do you suggest that is available with the assets we have? Easy to keep saying fix it. Tell us what you would do. The rhetoric gets real old. You almost never post in detail about anything else, which is a shame because I'm sure you have opinions of value on other things
Wynn does help, don't get me wrong. If he and Armstead stay healthy... and our FO allows Wynn to steal Jackson's starting spot were much improved. If they demand Jackson to start were screwed.

None of the available options are gonna be perfect bc.... well we didn't prioritize this position when we should have.

Tackles-

Taylor Lewan - also injured alot just like Wynn, old and might be done, not a great option but would add depth.

Cam Flemming - not great but would add great depth, when Wynn or Armstead go down, he would be better then Jackson.

Fant- again not a great player but better than Jackson... also gets hurt alot.

Brandon Shell - I just want him back for depth, he wasn't awful when he played last year but preferably we don't have to see him on the field much.

Guards -

Dalton Risner - wasn't great but was a HOFer compaired to Eichenburg.

Justin Pugh - had a bad year last year, might be done, risky but less risky then letting Eichenburg or Denny start.

Like I said, the pool of players left isn't great.

All you guys whipping up excitement about spending top $ to add Dalvin Cook need to calm the **** down. It is highly unlikely that anything will happen. The constant daily whipping into a frenzy that it's going to happen is frankly pretty irresponsible. I just don't think it's going to happen.
(1) If history tells us anything, GM Chris Grier doesn't value the RB position like all you fantasy football guys and he doesn't pay absolute top $. (I know that you don't want to hear that, because you think that you could be GM).
(2) We heard how Coach Mike McDaniel banged the table to draft Devonn Achane and he persuaded Grier to use a 3rd round pick to get him. Now having got him plus his 2 RBs from the 49ers (Mostert and Wilson), we're now just going to throw that plan out the window and operate with a top $ bell-cow RB in Dalvin Cook. Sure....
(3) There are many other teams that have the cash to spend on Cook. His decision will be probably be based on $ guaranteed. He won't make his decision on how good he looks in aqua and white and the excitement of playing with Tyreek and Tua.
Make no mistake, Cook is very, very good but the Miami Dolphins have bigger needs for the future.
You calm the **** down. Too many words dude.

I feel you're being a little hard on Jeff Wilson here. I agree that he's a part of a committee and doesn't have much trade value.

...however.

When healthy, and used properly, Jeff Wilson is a nasty part of that committee. The guy has produced at pretty much every opportunity. 176 rushes last year for 860 yards isn't something you just cast aside.
I agree 💯

The sad part... and it happens continuously, is there is a sizable % of finfans who are more than willing to spend every single dollar that the team can get their hands on... for short-term excitement.

Sign this player? Hell yes! Sign that player? Him too! Sign 4 Guards and 3 RBs and to Hell with the fact that we'd lose them all next year when the bill comes due. Only this year matters!!!!

It's thoughtless...

and these same folks will bitch the following year when players are leaving in droves. But then... they will have... ahem... forgotten that they themselves endorsed every single expensive signing.
I agree with this. It’s why you have to be careful with both who you invest in and how you invest in them. As a general matter, I only support giving deals that lock us into 3+ years to very few players. I’m a big fan of short term deals with easy outs and little dead money after two seasons.

I’m not a big believer in saving cap space for the future. You’re competing at a disadvantage in the present if you do that. But I’m also not a fan of mortgaging the future for the present. I will virtually never support giving a player a contract that guarantees them a cap hit above what their fair market value will be in the future. It’s why I didn’t like the Howard extension.

It’s a balancing act, for sure.

Wynn does help, don't get me wrong. If he and Armstead stay healthy... and our FO allows Wynn to steal Jackson's starting spot were much improved. If they demand Jackson to start were screwed.

None of the available options are gonna be perfect bc.... well we didn't prioritize this position when we should have.

Tackles-

Taylor Lewan - also injured alot just like Wynn, old and might be done, not a great option but would add depth.

Cam Flemming - not great but would add great depth, when Wynn or Armstead go down, he would be better then Jackson.

Fant- again not a great player but better than Jackson... also gets hurt alot.

Brandon Shell - I just want him back for depth, he wasn't awful when he played last year but preferably we don't have to see him on the field much.

Guards -

Dalton Risner - wasn't great but was a HOFer compaired to Eichenburg.

Justin Pugh - had a bad year last year, might be done, risky but less risky then letting Eichenburg or Denny start.

Like I said, the pool of players left isn't great.
I’m very interested to see what we do with Wynn. In my opinion, our best 5 are Armstead, Wynn, Williams, Hunt, and Jackson. But I’m not sure who I prefer at RT vs. LG between Wynn and Jackson.

But I’m not sure who I prefer at RT vs. LG between Wynn and Jackson.
That's something to sort out in TC. Since Wynn has no experience in a zone scheme, it's hard to say where he would be a better fit. My guess would be LG. For one thing, he was a much better as a LT than RT. Some guys just don't switch sides well. It can screw with their footwork.

That's something to sort out in TC. Since Wynn has no experience in a zone scheme, it's hard to say where he would be a better fit. My guess would be LG. For one thing, he was a much better as a LT than RT. Some guys just don't switch sides well. It can screw with their footwork.
I tend to agree. Wynn would be ideal as a starting LG who can shift over to left tackle if Armstead misses time. And in that scenario, Eichenberg can be the “6th man” on the line by serving as the primary backup at both guard spots and, effectively, LT since he can plug in for Wynn at LG if Wynn shifts to LT.

He might suck.

I hope he doesnt, but Im not putting all my eggs in the Achane basket.
I’m an enormous fan of Achane, but I just see them as parallel tracks. A 190-pound rookie doesn’t have any impact on whether we should bring in an every-down superstar RB who’s made four straight Pro Bowls. Whether our starting RB is Cook, Mostert, or Kalen Ballage, Achane isn’t getting more than 5-10 carries a game. 15-17 touches for Cook and 6-8 touches for Achane would be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom