GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM Time - Dalvin Cook Versus The Bank

Spend the Byron Jones Money on Dalvin Cook or Bank It To Help With Next Year's Payroll

• Dalvin Cook

Votes: 62 56.9%
  • Bank

Votes: 47 43.1%

• Total voters
Bingo... which was the original point of the thread.

I find it so weird that some folks just don't understand that saving money this year would lead directly to maintaining an expensive player NEXT year.

No matter how many times we explain this... slowly... it just doesn't sink in.
i agree. no idea why this is such a hard concept for people, or why people keep thinking there is free lunch and you can spend whatever you want with no consequences. when money is tight, you are forced to make hard decisions. which brings up another point, that is why i hated the chubb deal. he is not good enough to command a first round pick AND all of that money. if you are going to give up draft picks and that sort of money, the guy better be a stud like tyreek hill. chubb is not that guy, and he tends to get hurt alot. even worse, we gave him the new money sight unseen. at least the ravens made roquan smith play out the year and prove he was worth it. chubb was almost a complete and utter zero after we acquired him. i am still perplexed by the whole thing. even in his best year, he wasnt even that good, and that was with von miller commanding all the attention which should have made it easy for him.

Incremental over who? You obviously have not seen what he can do when healthy.
How much better? Our backs are good, their ypc is very good, they just weren’t used enough last year. With more touches this year, yes I think the difference between them and Dalvin Cook would be incremental at best. Then u add Achane to the mix? More speed, more options, at running back his size is actually an asset, he’ll get lost behind those linemen and will squirt out of the backfield. I’m telling u our backfield is electric.

Last edited:
How much better? Our backs are good, their ypc is very good, they just weren’t used enough last year. With more touches this year, yes I think the difference between them and Dalvin Cook would be incremental at best. Then u add Achane to the mix? More speed, more options, at running back his size is actually an asset, he’ll get lost behind those linemen and will squirt out of the backfield. I’m telling u our backfield is electric.
Dalvin Cook is a pipe dream, he costs too much and is starting to break down with injuries.

Our backfield is solid, especially when you consider how little we run the ball.

People look at recent history and say Grier\Miami doesn't value running backs, and that's fine, but in those recent years have we ever had a running back at the level of Dalvin Cook fall into our lap before? If we can make it work in a way that makes sense financially, we have to bring him in. We can't let "Oh, we have Wilson" stop us from improving our offense when our window of opportunity is right now.

DO we really still want to do this? I do not get it at this point. 8 RBs, 8TEs, and no RT or LG? Granted there is nobody good left to sign on the OL, so my comments are backwards looking. I don't understand why they basically ignored the position, especially given the issues with Tua. At this point, I would still bank the money and save it for next years roster, because a lot of their own guys are going to get a pay raise

DO we really still want to do this? I do not get it at this point. 8 RBs, 8TEs, and no RT or LG? Granted there is nobody good left to sign on the OL, so my comments are backwards looking. I don't understand why they basically ignored the position, especially given the issues with Tua. At this point, I would still bank the money and save it for next years roster, because a lot of their own guys are going to get a pay raise

Where in the world did you get 8 TEs from?

We currently have Terron Armstead, Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wynn, Kendall Lamm, Geron Christian, and Cedric Ogbuehi under contract. That’s 6 offensive tackles with extensive NFL starting experience. We also have Rob Hunt and Liam Eichenberg, who can play and have started multiple games at OT in the NFL.

We also drafted Ryan Hayes and have Kion Smith under contract, too.

We have as much experienced tackle depth as any team in the NFL. You just don’t like the depth, and that’s fine, but the issue isn’t numbers.

Guard isn’t much different. We have Eichenberg, Hunt, Jones, Feeney, and Cotton under contract, plus Wynn and Hayes are likely both in the mix at guard as well.

You are correct. The Dolphins averaged 4.3 per yard rushing attempt last year without Cook. The Vikings averaged 4.1 yards per rush with Cook for much of the season.

I am not opposed to signing Cook if they can get him for the right price but the issue with the Dolphins running game last year wasn’t the running backs. It was simply that MCDaniel didn’t rely on the running game enough.

I expect MCDaniel to call more running plays in 2023, whether Cook is a Dolphin or not.

Where there is this much smoke there is usually a fire, only way I see Cook not coming to Miami is if KC or Buffalo makes Minnesota a much better offer. It will be interesting to see what happens I hope it doesn't last much longer.

We have the same running back room as last season currently plus one rookie who might get some utility snaps and definitely KR snaps… we don’t really know yet what kind of RB snaps the rookie will get.

Raheem Mostert is our only really legit quality RB and he’s generally injured - last year was his healthiest in many seasons. It would be like betting Armstead will play a full season for us - you wouldn’t.

So as of now, our only definitive starting RB talent we have is Mostert who is expected to miss time… we have room for one more RB.

Jeff Wilson proved nothing last year and is basically a depth piece only. He was up and down and generally struggled just like the entire team when we ran in expected running plays outside of his one really good game. He also offers ZERO trade value to the guy who suggested it… he was probably just happy to get the minimum contract we gave him.

Depth is very underrated on this forum and perhaps in general. Every single team has injuries every year - it’s the teams that are prepared for them that have sustained success.
This is spot on and what I've been saying as well. Love Mostert but can't depend on him, and if he is down Wilson/Achane is a weak way to limp through the season at that position particularly when we are trying to run more, protect Tua and hopefully many leads. Quality depth here is key. Mostert given his age and injury history but with that blazing speed is a natural #2 at this point, a change of pace guy that can go the distance. Wilson is a natural #3, insurance back. Sliding Cook in to lead this room allows these guys to move to a more natural position in that pecking order and Achane is free to be used by McD in any versatile package he wants rather than depend on him to carry 1/2 the RB snaps along with Wilson if Mostert were to go down.

There is absolutely reason to sign Dalvin Cook right now. Our running back room is stacked with Achane, Mostert, and Wilson. All 3 are good backs with speed who fit with what McDaniels wants to do. It’s a waste of money to sign Dalvin cook.
Our current RB room is not stacked. Two old injury prone vets making near the minimum and a rookie? One very predictable Mostert injury away from Wilson starting for the rest of the year with a rookie backup? Ok, maybe we are stacked on the OL too and I just didn't realize it.

I don’t agree.

(1) You’re misinterpreting history if that’s what you get from it. History tells us that Chris Grier lets his head coach drive the bus on personnel. We made Chase Edmonds one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL last offseason, traded a 5th round pick for another RB mid-season, and drafted a RB in the third round this off-season. We have put a lot of resources into the RB position since McDaniel became head coach, and according to McDaniel himself in his post-draft interview, we remain interested in adding a veteran RB.

(2) We’re not throwing any plan out the window. Raheem Mostert is 31 and has started more than 8 games in a season once in his entire career—last year. Jeff Wilson is a career third and fourth string player. A top two of Mostert and Wilson is one of the worst RB situations in the NFL. Combined, they are making $4.4 million in cap space, which is about $1 million more than we paid Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed last year. Achane is a very versatile rookie who weighs 190 pounds and will probably get 5-8 touches a game for the first half of the season. Adding Dalvin Cook turns Mostert into a back-up, Wilson into a third-stringer, and Achane into a versatile chess piece. That’s exactly what our RB room should look like.

(3) Yes, other teams would be interested in paying Cook. But few teams need him as much as we do. What other contender will have $15 million-plus in cap space and a starting RB worse than Raheem Mostert? He makes the most sense for us.

Anyway, you will see. He’s coming.
B-B-Bingo!

Bingo... which was the original point of the thread.

I find it so weird that some folks just don't understand that saving money this year would lead directly to maintaining an expensive player NEXT year.

No matter how many times we explain this... slowly... it just doesn't sink in.
Sigh. Everyone gets it fellas, just you know, trying to win a super bowl this year with the best roster we've had in decades, trying to protect a fragile QB, might need some quality depth at RB if that's the plan.

You are correct. The Dolphins averaged 4.3 per yard rushing attempt last year without Cook. The Vikings averaged 4.1 yards per rush with Cook for much of the season.

I am not opposed to signing Cook if they can get him for the right price but the issue with the Dolphins running game last year wasn’t the running backs. It was simply that MCDaniel didn’t rely on the running game enough.

I expect MCDaniel to call more running plays in 2023, whether Cook is a Dolphin or not.
Amen brother, what I’ve been trying to say over and over. Do you know what his salary cap hit is? There’s a reason the Vikings are considering dropping him. And there are potentially other players at more premium positions (offensive Tackle (the bloke for the bengals), and pass rusher) that would make more sense, or perhaps save it for extending some of our own which are coming up soon.

Back
Top Bottom