Go for the jugular... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Go for the jugular...

This is an excellent summation of the most important point. Nothing matters until you build a great passing game. Any strides you make one season can easily wash away the next. Build a great passing game, and ebbs and rises around over the years, it will have multiple opportunities to win a SB. Build a great D, and you'll have to rebuild it soon, taking away future resources from the passing game you haven't yet built.
As a defensive first guy that is sometimes hard to stomach and yet it is so true. There are only a limited number of players that a team can pay under the rules of the salary cap. Building a good defense over a long stretch is very difficult.

If you are saying concentrate on building and stopping a passing game, I can get behind that.

I think it's easy to see Miami's biggest weaknesses. The running game was virtually non-existent. How many first down runs resulted in putting Miami in a second and 9 or a second and 12? When your quarterback is your leading rusher going into the last couple of games that is not good. Unless your quarterback is Lamar Jackson. Best way to improve that passing game is to improve the running game.

The pass rush is the other most glaring weakness. The team needs more than one pass rusher for Flores' schemes to really work on defense.

Because the Dolphins have needs everywhere, I would concentrate on adding the best talent. Take the BPA approach with an emphasis on those key positions, qb, pass rusher, corner, blindside protector, wide receiver.

"Best way to improve that passing game is to improve the running game."

I agree. I would look at getting 1 or 2 RB's later in the draft to augment our passing game.

As a defensive first guy that is sometimes hard to stomach and yet it is so true. There are only a limited number of players that a team can pay under the rules of the salary cap. Building a good defense over a long stretch is very difficult.

Don't feel bad. RB was my favorite position as a kid.

Hmmm. Interesting NBP. Go heavy on offense make us a stronger passing team. Get good/great OL help (every position needs upgrading that's for sure) and 2 bruising RB's (with vision and elusiveness) keep Laird a scat-back. Add one more seam threat TE where both he can block and catch passes like Gesicki(pass catching) he still needs to improve his blocking skills in the off-season. Try to get Ebron FA (pass and block) or Eifert FA (pass and block) or Hollister FA (pass and block). Keep Smythe he is a good/great blocker and has been improving on catching that's for sure. I love it. Add a few pieces to Defense too but, not overload. Get lots of depth players who could start when injuries occur on both side of ball. So, if Fitz comes back we roll with him have Rosen, and 2 rookie QB's sit and learn one to PS and one to 53. This is a good recipe and a good plan. Well done.

Im proposing that the Fins take a focused approach on a specific aspect of the team and make it a strenght in one off season. Make the passing offense great, build the OL and its depth, build the WRs unit with solid guys. Make the passing offense the priority.

I'm with you 100% with the build a devastating OL. But....
Like to see a powerful OL not just for pass protection but one that can open holes and exhibit power off the LOS for a significantly above average quality RB.
For that OL with a scary RB would also take a significant amount of pressure off our QB, and the RB's we got are never going to be scary .. But ya first do the OL

Actually its pretty common knowledge that passing effeciency is the aspect of NFL football most correlated to winning. Some might make the case that YPA differential is just as important. Which is fine, but thing is, passing effeciency is robust while defensive YPA is fragile. In other words, teams with good passing games tend to remain good at passing the ball from year to year, the same cannot be said for passing defense.

So if you're going to solve one of the 2, solve the robust one.

given today's rules, the passing offense should also be the easier fix

given today's rules, the passing offense should also be the easier fix
Its not easy, but if you go about it the right way, it should be doable in 1 offseason given the amount of assets the Fins have. But still, there are a few things you need to consider...

1. The most important part is the QB, the better a QB you have, the easier it gets, obviously...
  2. The OL is only as strong as its weakest link, you dont need elite at any given spot, but you cant afford to have bad anywhere.
  3. The better WRs you have, the most likely your QB is to look like an anwser.
The Fins are starting from scratch... There will be nothing easy about this but they do have a shitload of assets to build the unit.

We had the worst rushing offense in the history of the league and we're going to pretend like we need to bolster the passing offense?

Wut?

I'd much rather be able to run the ball. It takes the pressure off whoever the QB is.

We had the worst rushing offense in the history of the league and we're going to pretend like we need to bolster the passing offense?

Wut?

I'd much rather be able to run the ball. It takes the pressure off whoever the QB is.
Rushing the ball doesnt matter anymore, especially if you cant pass the ball either...

Rushing the ball doesnt matter anymore, especially if you cant pass the ball either...
Weird, considering the 14-2 Ravens are 14-2 because they can run the ball better than anyone else and the top 4 teams in passing yards didn't make the playoffs.

Weird, considering the 14-2 Ravens are 14-2 because they can run the ball better than anyone else and the top 4 teams in passing yards didn't make the playoffs.
You obviously put alot of thought and research on this one...

Here's the regression coefficient for both passing game and rushing game efficiency over the years as it relates to scoring points.

nyrolling.jpg

I actually did this research to prove the same point you are trying to prove about 6 months ago FWIW, I proved myself wrong and gladly admitted to it.

Last edited:
The Ravens are 14-2 because they have a extremely deep, well coached team that plays well on both sides of the ball. They Also have a freak a quarterback who is a threat to throw or run. They have something like 12 players going to the pro bowl.

You obviously put alot of thought and research on this one...

Here's the regression coefficient for both passing game and rushing game efficiency over the years as it relatates to scoring points.

View attachment 35490

I actually did this research to prove the same point you are trying to prove about 6 months ago FWIW, I proved myself wrong and gladly admitted to it.
Passing efficiency requires an excellent quarterback to be able to score points, obviously. It's not like you can just say, "Oh, hey, let's just throw the ball a lot. We'll score a ton!"

Since we currently don't have one, I'd rather build the team towards a way to win without one, i.e. being able to consistently power run the football so we could at least play like the Jags did a couple years ago, the 49ers do this year etc. Rushing and defense.

When we get a quarterback, sure, throw the ball at a higher tempo because when you have that advantage you want the most amount of plays and possessions as you can get so that the other team falls behind due to their inability to match the insane efficiency, but until then...

Back
Top Bottom