Go for the jugular... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Go for the jugular...

Rushing the ball doesnt matter anymore, especially if you cant pass the ball either...

IMO, a good OL and ground game can help a QB's passing game more than enough to not only give it significant attention but also judge a organizations insight on their level of importance they give. True todays game revolves around the passing but a ground threat is a great key to help open up the Passing game and help all those QB's who are not necessarily close to being a Dan Marino, in other words any guy we end up with.

Funny what I saw Sunday against N.E. was Brady being average and more dependent on a ground game to help kept it close ....
Agree Passing is the state of today but a more balanced offense should not be thought lightly.

Since we currently don't have one, I'd rather build the team towards a way to win without one, i.e. being able to consistently power run the football so we could at least play like the Jags did a couple years ago, the 49ers do this year etc. Rushing and defense.
Its funny because I had the same arguments as you do now really not so long ago

here are those posts, from august...
I was with you on this, its actually why I started doing this little research along with Awsi's post pretty much stating the same thing.

There would be alot of pros for trying this, first and foremost you'd be minimizing the impact of the 2 most costly positions on a football team: Your QB and their pass rusher. 2nd, you'd benefit from having a different shopping list than most teams, and a cost efficient one at that: run blocking OL, run blocking TEs, RBs and possesion recievers arent exactly big contract type players.

Problem is it wouldnt work. The real problem with bad QBs is 3rd down passing, they really suck at it. So teams try and rationnalize running on 1st and 2nd down in order to get in decent 3rd down situations. They just dont seem to realize that their bad QB also suck in manageable 3rd down situations. They're trying to solve the problem with a bad angle. Dont try and get easier 3rd downs, you should try to avoid 3rd downs alltogether at all costs. And you dont achieve that by running more than every one on 1st and 2nd down.

I mean I tried to make the point but the data firmly proves me wrong.
Here's what Im saying about 3rd down passing. Those charts show the success rate for every 2nd and 3rd down situation for Cream teams and Crowd teams. I didnt include 1st downs because most situations are 1st and 10 and others have alot of variance because of the lack of a meaningful sample size.

Cream:

View attachment 23043

Crowd:

View attachment 23044

WR's absolutely don't need to be considered with our top 4 picks (or top 6 really), barring an insane drop by someone deemed too talented.

If your going to take a skill guy, gotta go RB first especially in round 2 where the talent is usually more abundant than WR.

I do like the idea of great at something. Gotta be dominant somewhere. I'd love to just be great on both sides of the LOS first and fore most and see where that takes us.

If your going to take a skill guy, gotta go RB first especially in round 2 where the talent is usually more abundant than WR.
I flat out disagree with that unless you already have a top 10 passing offense.

The Ravens have an extremely efficient passing offense, and they're only able to run the way they do because of Lamar Jackson. If you can find Lamar Jackson, then you can center your offense around the run. Not many players can average 6.9 yards per rush.

Back
Top Bottom