Gold Cup 2019 And Copa America 2019 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gold Cup 2019 And Copa America 2019

watching Gold Cup. I think you are seeing where waiting as long as they did to hire Berhalter was a mistake. Still learning the pool and getting players for the system. Now I am not down on him as some were after the two warm up matches but a few thoughts...

Zardes is worthless for the US unless the mids are able to run. If he has to be doing hold up play, or he has to come back for the ball he adds nothing. But when he's able to run into space he's good.

I think the Will Trap experiment might be over with this system on the international level at least with him as a starter. if Tyler Adams is healthy he should be the holding mid (not RB like the original plan)

Matt Miazga has potential, but I think he showed in a few friendlies, he is behind Long and Zimmerman (and Brooks when healthy). Too many mental lapses. Now if he gets consistent time and continues to develop he'll be in the discussion to be a starter. Right now though It IMO should be Brooks and Zimmerman if all are healthy.

I don't like Tim Ream as a LB. that's one of the reasons you see a lot of space against the counter (that and asking the RB to be a CM on offense) if you want to play Ream go to a true 3 man backline.

It's a slow process but you are starting to see the potential offensively with Berhalter... and it's not just McKennie and Pulisic. It's Arriola, Boyd, and even Jordan Morris. The hope is you see Sargent and Weah get consistent first team minutes and develop... maybe even a guy like Soto as well and you have some true talent.

Encouraging for the development of US Soccer.

watching Gold Cup. I think you are seeing where waiting as long as they did to hire Berhalter was a mistake. Still learning the pool and getting players for the system. Now I am not down on him as some were after the two warm up matches but a few thoughts...

Zardes is worthless for the US unless the mids are able to run. If he has to be doing hold up play, or he has to come back for the ball he adds nothing. But when he's able to run into space he's good.

I think the Will Trap experiment might be over with this system on the international level at least with him as a starter. if Tyler Adams is healthy he should be the holding mid (not RB like the original plan)

Matt Miazga has potential, but I think he showed in a few friendlies, he is behind Long and Zimmerman (and Brooks when healthy). Too many mental lapses. Now if he gets consistent time and continues to develop he'll be in the discussion to be a starter. Right now though It IMO should be Brooks and Zimmerman if all are healthy.

I don't like Tim Ream as a LB. that's one of the reasons you see a lot of space against the counter (that and asking the RB to be a CM on offense) if you want to play Ream go to a true 3 man backline.

It's a slow process but you are starting to see the potential offensively with Berhalter... and it's not just McKennie and Pulisic. It's Arriola, Boyd, and even Jordan Morris. The hope is you see Sargent and Weah get consistent first team minutes and develop... maybe even a guy like Soto as well and you have some true talent.

Encouraging for the development of US Soccer.
Encouraging yes but the Gold Cup is just such a weak tournament. The US played #75, #92 and #177. That would be equal to North Macedonia, Lichtenstein and Louxemburg making it to the Euro tournament. Now they are facing Curacao in the quarter finals. Kinda like Belarus making it to the quarter final. The only competition which I would consider a measuring stick for evaluation is Mexico and maybe Costa Rica.

I watched some horrifying soccer this Gold Cup.

On the Copa America side: Argentina looks slow, tired and Messi just does not want to play anymore for the National squad. I said before and after the last WC that Argentina is in huge trouble. If they want to get past Venezuela they have to tripple their effort. Venezuela is one of the biggest surprises. They went unbeaten in a group with Brazil and Peru and they played some attractive soccer. In all honesty if Quatar would have had better players they would have advanced instead of Argentina. They had so many chances which could have turned an 0-2 loss into a 2-0 win. Otherwise Quatar played surprisingly good. They just didn't have the quality players to finish an otherwise good defensive and midfield play. They were good until they reached the penalty box area.

Best teams of the tournament so far: Brazil (though not playing their best), Colombia and Uruguay.

Last edited:
Well yes the Gold Cup is a weak tournament the US killed a T&T squad that is stronger that the squad that ended our World Cup Dreams.

Of course I am looking at this world cup differently and looking at guys to see what guys deserve more looks going forward

I'm just tired of watching the piss poor passing in the midfield and the easy giveaways. As brilliant as Mckennie can be . . . He has been hanging with Michael Bradley too much. Too many errant passes and easy ball displacement.

I'm tired of watching Tim Ream at LB. He moonwalks better than Michael Jackson when a winger goes at him. Hell you can back him into the goalie if you really wanted to. And he'll never be part of the attack. He is a CB and if there is no room for him there (2 or 3 back alignment) he needs to be a reserve.

I am tired of Zardes as a #9. Much rather Altidore up top and honestly I am intrigued at trying Zardes at LB, similar to how the USWNT is using Dunn at LB. Think he would bring the type of athlete and attacking capability needed to be a difference there. Ream is too stiff to deal with the type of players on the wing in the Caribbean. I know Zardes at LB won't happen but it probably should.

As good as Boyd has looked at times, his performance against Curacao ranks at the top for worst performance by any US player this tournament.

Pulisic is clearly the best player in CONCACAF and he is adding some grit to his game. Gonna be fun watching him continue to grow.

Steffan has been solid. No bad rebounds and has been up to task. Would be great if he solidifies the GK position.

Team has a long way to go and I am slightly disappointed in the progress over a year in a half from that loss in Couva, Trinidad.

I'm just tired of watching the piss poor passing in the midfield and the easy giveaways. As brilliant as Mckennie can be . . . He has been hanging with Michael Bradley too much. Too many errant passes and easy ball displacement.

I'm tired of watching Tim Ream at LB. He moonwalks better than Michael Jackson when a winger goes at him. Hell you can back him into the goalie if you really wanted to. And he'll never be part of the attack. He is a CB and if there is no room for him there (2 or 3 back alignment) he needs to be a reserve.

I am tired of Zardes as a #9. Much rather Altidore up top and honestly I am intrigued at trying Zardes at LB, similar to how the USWNT is using Dunn at LB. Think he would bring the type of athlete and attacking capability needed to be a difference there. Ream is too stiff to deal with the type of players on the wing in the Caribbean. I know Zardes at LB won't happen but it probably should.

As good as Boyd has looked at times, his performance against Curacao ranks at the top for worst performance by any US player this tournament.

Pulisic is clearly the best player in CONCACAF and he is adding some grit to his game. Gonna be fun watching him continue to grow.

Steffan has been solid. No bad rebounds and has been up to task. Would be great if he solidifies the GK position.

Team has a long way to go and I am slightly disappointed in the progress over a year in a half from that loss in Couva, Trinidad.

Team clearly was overlooking their opponent which isnt good. Boyd was perhaps the biggest culprit. I got the sense that after 60 minutes Berhalter said screw it and wanted to get out of Philly.

McKennie was bad outside if the goal. I think he also had the wrong mindset yesterday and based on his actions and comments after the game he was not happy with himself.

Zardes was useless yesterday. When you need hold up play and someone to distribute up top he is not good. He is at his best in an open game where he can get in space.

Is there work to do? Absolutely. I've said before that the Gold Cup is showing where it was a mistake not to hire Berhalter earlier. Before the Gold Cup he had what... 2 Camps with the team and only one was a FIFA date? He clearly favored the MLS guys he saw for 2 camps but I think after the Gold Cup you are going to see some roster turnover.

Now the silver lining is that the team does have players coming through. I think having Tyler Adams (whether in Bradley's spot or as the weird RB/DM hybrid) would have made a huge difference... honestly I think Duane Holmes would have made a difference too had he not got hurt. But the big thing going forward is to see some of the I 20 guys break into first team football. Sargent should get more time this year. Tim Weah just completed a move to Lille. You also have guys in Sebastian Soto, Chris Gloster, and Richie Ledezma poised to break into first team action in Europe as well as youngsters like Paxton Pomykal and Cole Bassett (who has a pending offer from Germany once he turns 18) in the MLS.

So I am optimistic for the future. Berhalter just made some bad decisions for GC

Welp the second half of the Final looked like US soccer from the last 15 years. The back line actually was decent and I think Jozy (despite the tough chance miss early), Pulisic, Arriola and even Morris (although I rather Boyd last night at some point) were fine. Not great but serviceable.

But my god Bradley and Mckennie symbolized the problem with American soccer. They just do not have any consistent connection between the back to the front. They turn the ball over way too much when they attempt to move forward. If they don’t figure out the 6 and the 8, they will once again struggle to make the World Cup . . . Something that should be a cake walk in COnCACAF.

Hated the subs by coach

Overall, an expected result, so you can’t be too down but I am ready for the youth movement. I can’t go through another qualifying session with Bradley turning the ball over the way he does.

Overall, an expected result, so you can’t be too down but I am ready for the youth movement. I can’t go through another qualifying session with Bradley turning the ball over the way he does.
There is no competition in the CONCACAF. Teams are not getting challenged. The US got themselves through completely inferior competition and then was stopped when they faced a decent team. The CONCACAF is and always will be a hurdle for Mexico and the US team. Neither team gets challenged until the end.

When it comes to the world stage they will qualify against that inferior competition and go to the World Cup thumping their chest but the most likely exit for either team is the round of 16 or maybe the Quarters. They get themselves through the group stage since the world cup is bloated and every group has a pansy team or two and with a little luck they might face a team they can handle in the R16.

A youth movement will mean nothing if these young players will not be challenged.

There is no competition in the CONCACAF. Teams are not getting challenged. The US got themselves through completely inferior competition and then was stopped when they faced a decent team. The CONCACAF is and always will be a hurdle for Mexico and the US team. Neither team gets challenged until the end.

When it comes to the world stage they will qualify against that inferior competition and go to the World Cup thumping their chest but the most likely exit for either team is the round of 16 or maybe the Quarters. They get themselves through the group stage since the world cup is bloated and every group has a pansy team or two and with a little luck they might face a team they can handle in the R16.

A youth movement will mean nothing if these young players will not be challenged.

It is sort of a double whammy, as the competition in CONCACAF and the competiton by the individual players at the club level is just not good enough to ever see the U.S. as a real threat on the world stage.

But really the world stage is too far out in front for me in regards to the group. This Gold Cup was played mainly on home soil. While the competition is certainly lesser, if they don’t get their **** together in midfield, they will be a disaster when it comes to road games in qualifying. I never underestimate traveling to Costa Rica, Mexico, Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, Honduras, Panama, etc. Those games tend to be ridiculously hot on crap fields and hostile crowds . . . .a team that can’t string together an attack from back to front and loses possession as easily as the U.S. does combined with the physicality and speed of many of those teams . . . .will struggle and risk failing to qualify for the World Cup.

It is sort of a double whammy, as the competition in CONCACAF and the competiton by the individual players at the club level is just not good enough to ever see the U.S. as a real threat on the world stage.

But really the world stage is too far out in front for me in regards to the group. This Gold Cup was played mainly on home soil. While the competition is certainly lesser, if they don’t get their **** together in midfield, they will be a disaster when it comes to road games in qualifying. I never underestimate traveling to Costa Rica, Mexico, Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti, Honduras, Panama, etc. Those games tend to be ridiculously hot on crap fields and hostile crowds . . . .a team that can’t string together an attack from back to front and loses possession as easily as the U.S. does combined with the physicality and speed of many of those teams . . . .will struggle and risk failing to qualify for the World Cup.
If I am Mexico or the US I'd try to join Copa America on a more permanent basis. They may not win as many trophies between the two but the experience would be valuable.

Still some kinks to work out for the US but the foundation is getting there. Yhe Mexico game you saw the bad of McKennie. He let his emotion get the best of him.

Back
Top Bottom