Good article about the tackle position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good article about the tackle position

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ansas-city-chiefs-regret-drafting-eric-fisher

Now look at the collective mediocrity of the left tackles who protected these superstars:
Bryant McKinnie, 2012, Ravens: Veteran castoff who began the season as a backup; he entered the starting lineup because of a domino effect from injuries at right tackle and guard.
Joe Staley, 2012, 49ers: An outlier, as he's the only guy on this list to make the Pro Bowl in his team's Super Bowl season.
David Diehl, 2011, Giants: A respectable veteran right tackle who moved to the left side after Will Beatty's injury.
Matt Light, 2011, Patriots: A very solid veteran but one who was beginning to wear down; Super Bowl XLII wound up being his final game.
Chad Clifton, 2010, Packers: Another solid veteran who was wearing down. Played just six games in 2011 before being out of the league.
Trai Essex, 2010, Steelers: A backup who started just three games the following season; was essentially out of the league by the end of 2012.
Jermon Bushrod, 2009, Saints: Many insiders described him as the league's worst left tackle in 2009. He would eventually develop into an adequate starter, but not until the second part of 2011. The Saints were not devastated when he signed with the Bears this past March.
Charlie Johnson, 2009, Colts: A utility player who became a guard in Minnesota.
Max Starks, 2008, Steelers: A fairly decent starter but one who could be prone to mistakes and bad weight gain.
Mike Gandy, 2008, Cardinals: Went on IR in the middle of 2009 with a pelvic/groin injury; was released after the season (at age 30) and never played again.

posted a little for those of you who don't have in, but basicly he is saying that with the high tempo, quick decision offenses that we are seeing over the past few years, a teams success is more driven on a qbs ability to make reads and get the ball out quickly, and less on a tackles ability to block. We shall see if Tannehill takes the next step, but I think some people on this site are overrating the tackle position. I think we will be fine.

sooo................... was this a plug to get us to sign up for the espn "insider"?

when i went to the link it gave about the 1st 5 lines and then said SIGN UP to find out!!

as far as the list, i didnt really catch the point as i couldnt read the insider thing because i am an outsider. i still didnt pay!!

but one thing that jumped out BIG, the packers qb was the MOST SACKED QB in the leauge over the past couple years. winning or not, is this what is good? how long untill he is out for the season? out for good getting smashed into the turf on his 11th sack of the game? how exactly does letting your qb get sacked more than any other teams be an example of LT not being important?

someone can come up with all the stats and thoughts to back up almost every theory, but, we are now a PASS HAPPY, PASS FIRST leauge. so, how is left tackle now insignificant? were in a time when the qb needs as much time and protection as he can get, and his blind side the most protected, and LT has now become extinct?

he was more important during the run first, run often, pass if you absolutely have to nfl of most of the last 80 years?

dont think so. article or not.

now, i did not want an lt with our top pic [unless fisher was in play]. i felt all along that martin was going to get the nod as his only real problem was lack of an nfl weight room program. and RT was not worth a top 12 pic this year.

this guy can spin whatever he wants. pass first and often nfl, LT is even MORE important than before.

elementary watson! elementary!

I appreciate the posting since I don't have the insider. Aside from McKinnie, none of these guys are on the radar. Would have liked to see their thoughts on Winston/Clabo/Long/Albert.

Back
Top Bottom