Good Article by John Clayton on Quarterbacks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Article by John Clayton on Quarterbacks

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
BlueFin said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2039734

It dispels many of the myths many Dolphin fans have about the importance of the QB position.

The Miami Dolphins do not have a bonafide starting quarterback in this league, this is the chance to get one and I think Saban will take advantage of it unless someone pays dearly.

you should send that article to Nick ;)

that said, obviously, I agree with you. Unless you get an outrageous offer (because if Minnesota trades up, it'll probably be with Cleveland at 3) he really should take Smith. Obviously that changes if the Niners go Alex, in which case I think Saban trades down as much as possible, but knowing that we probably locked up our QB position till at least 2015 is very nice to know.

See now that's good journalism. Brought forth a relavant theory and backed it up with facts. Very nice. Draft Rodgers please...

But, the article doesn't discuss how difficult it is to actually draft a good QB. Just because a guy is a 1st round pick or is handed a starting job, it doesn't make him a good QB.

Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, and Rick Mirer were all 1st round picks. Would you take any of them over Tom Brady, who was a 6th round pick? Obviously, you need good Qb play to win. But, taking a QB in the first round is no guarantee that you are going to get it.

dolfanmark said:
But, the article doesn't discuss how difficult it is to actually draft a good QB. Just because a guy is a 1st round pick or is handed a starting job, it doesn't make him a good QB.

Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, and Rick Mirer were all 1st round picks. Would you take any of them over Tom Brady, who was a 6th round pick? Obviously, you need good Qb play to win. But, taking a QB in the first round is no guarantee that you are going to get it.

I would really love for you to post all the 6th round QB's drafted and see how many of THEM are starters. Brady is the exception to the rule, not hte norm. If he was NO ONE would draft a QB till the 6th. EVERY position is a crapshoot. Where did this mentality that only QB's can bust come from? Lets see how many great RB's were drafted in the first round. It goes both ways.

dolfanmark said:

If the article did get into that, it probably would have pointed out that while getting a QB in the first may not guarantee success, the success rate is about 10 times higher than getting a QB later in the draft.

dolfanmark said:

I know one thing, Alex Smith is no Ryan Leaf. Alex has a ton of character and brains. He has the prototypical size for the NFL. Some call him on the thin side and some say he is athletic. I do not see that as a hindurance to the kid becoming a star on this team either way. Is he ready to go today? maybe not, but it wont take but a half a season for him to be modeled in front of to know what he needs to do.

The other factors are the Linehan factor and the system he comes from. You know damn well Saban checked him out to know the reads and stuff. I think we should stick to Smith to the end unless TB or Minny gives us ample compensation, otherwise, all the comp in the world will ever overcome the long term possibility of having a franchise QB.

Phinphanatic13 said:
See now that's good journalism. Brought forth a relavant theory and backed it up with facts. Very nice. Draft Rodgers please...

No, that's good agreeing with you..I would agree with that article if these were blue chip QB's, that's where most of us who don't want a QB at #2 disagree with you guys..it's not that I don't want a QB, I don't want these 2 at that pick in the draft, I'd take them 15th on down. I don't see the value in them at #2..as a late 1st rounder yea,,that wouldn't bother me. D. Marino was a number 26, Brady a 6th, Bret F. a 2nd or 3rd. J. Montana a 3rd. These 2 guys are more hype than substance. I think they were good in their systems, but they remind me too much of a Steve Spruirer type QB and you know how that translates to the NFL.

I agree, but we're not going to get Smith. 49ers are going to go for the best QB available and take him.

I really hope that the Niners will draft Rodgers because i bet you that Saban will take Smith.

Smith aint going to no San Fransisco. He doesnt want to go there. Sure SF can start something by drafting him, but I do not think in the end that they want to deal with Smith's agent and what they want and what they want is to play in Miami.

MDFINFAN said:
No, that's good agreeing with you..I would agree with that article if these were blue chip QB's, that's where most of us who don't want a QB at #2 disagree with you guys..it's not that I don't want a QB, I don't want these 2 at that pick in the draft, I'd take them 15th on down. I don't see the value in them at #2..as a late 1st rounder yea,,that wouldn't bother me. D. Marino was a number 26, Brady a 6th, Bret F. a 2nd or 3rd. J. Montana a 3rd. These 2 guys are more hype than substance. I think they were good in their systems, but they remind me too much of a Steve Spruirer type QB and you know how that translates to the NFL.

Who do you propose we take with the #2 spot, then? Certainly you would not advocate taking a RB at the #2, since NO RB is worth the #2, with only one having been taken at that position in the last 10 years. Ronnie Brown and Cadillac have too many questions to be considered a #2...they split time and no one knows how durable they will be. These two guys just aren't elite enough to warrant a #2 pick. Maybe you want a WR? I'm sure a WR will make a huge impact on this team with our OL and AJ slinging the rock...not to mention the fact that we already have at least one standout WR and a top 3 TE.

So, please tell me how you can justify passing on a QB w/the number 2? Are you thinking we will get the number 1 or 2 pick again next year to get Leinart, or do you propose we trade the entire draft to move up and get him? Maybe you believe the statistics about the importance of QB's is wrong, or that you will somehow pick a Tom Brady (about a 3%-6% chance) in the later rounds? Maybe you think good D and running game is all it takes (please see Ricky's two groundpounding 1,000+ yard seasons)? Maybe we can ignore all the facts and just continue in prolonged mediocrity at the QB position, which should also bring some more playoff misses or early round exits :shakeno:

Face it...the QB position is the most important on the field, and the safest way to pick a QB is to get one in the early first round. If Saban thinks Smith and Rodgers can be superstars, then I will look forward to them puting on a 'Fins uni. :cooldude:

dolfanmark said:

Not a guarantee, but you have a MUCH greater chance of finding a starting QB in the 1st round than in any other round. How many late round QBs do we never hear about because they failed to even make their team?

I hope SF takes Smith and we grab Rodgers...I was leaning towards Ronnie Brown but now I think a QB makes more sense.

BlueFin said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2039734

It dispels many of the myths many Dolphin fans have about the importance of the QB position.

The Miami Dolphins do not have a bonafide starting quarterback in this league, this is the chance to get one and I think Saban will take advantage of it unless someone pays dearly.

I don't think there is any widespread "myth" about the importance of the QB position. Everyone knows it is the single most important position on the team. The difference of opinion is whether there are any QB's in THIS draft worth taking at #2.

Back
Top Bottom