Good Bye | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good Bye

I beg to differ... much better touch.

That's fine, but he also can't throw a 50 yard bomb while scrambling to his left. So when you say "he has a better arm," what you really mean is you think he makes better touch throws. Ryan Tannehill has a top shelf arm. Rosen has a good arm. Ultimately, I don't think that's the most important trait for a quarterback, but it's off base to say that the guy we just traded for has a 'better arm' than the guy we just sent packing.

Even if the guy turns out to be terrible -- which is possible, if he's mentally fragile his time in Arizona might have ruined him -- it's still a good trade for us, as if he starts 16 games and is awful, he will set us up for Tua or Fromm or whoever you like in 2020. Don't understand people hanging themselves from the rafters over this trade. From a strategic standpoint, it was brilliant and I give Grier props for his decision to handle Arizona's hardball stance for the 2nd rounder by giving them a pick at the ass end of the 2nd round after trading down for even more valuable picks.

If Rosen sucks then the Dolphins might cut him but who cares? They get a chance to give a franchise QB prospect a test drive for marginal compensation, a low risk, massively high reward potential deal. If this chance at a first round caliber QB doesn't work out then they can just draft one next year, likely with their own pick if he sucks as bad as people are imagining. Most teams have to give up a boatload of picks to move up to take a chance on one potential franchise QB, a QB that is more likely than not to bust.

I don't know how good of a plan that is going to be in reality. Rosen being a pocket passer while the Dolphins probably won't have a very good offensive line. So Rosen will most likely be running around for his life while having to improvise to make plays which doesn't seem to be a strength of his. So basically it looks like the Dolphins spent a pick that could have been used on another offensive lineman or other position of need on Rosen while setting him up to fail in the process. Hey maybe this coaching staff will be able to make chicken salad out of chicken scratch when it comes to the offensive line. I guess losing a 2nd and 5th isn't the end of the world. Problem is when your team is in desperate need of starters every pick, especially those closer to the top of the draft such as that 2nd rounder, is important. We will see how this turns out. I am not a fan of Rosen as I don't believe he will ever be a franchise QB but I will root for him to succeed as long as he is on the Dolphins roster.

So we basically traded....

a 2019 second round pick, 2019 fourth round pick, and a 2020 fifth round pick and received

a 2020 second round pick, a 2019 sixth round pick and Rosen.

For a team that is rebuilding, the difference in year (2019 and 2020) is pretty irrelevant given that next year's is stronger.

So basically I view that as a 4th and 5th round pick for Rosen and a sixth.

And people are complaining?????

That's fine, but he also can't throw a 50 yard bomb while scrambling to his left. So when you say "he has a better arm," what you really mean is you think he makes better touch throws. Ryan Tannehill has a top shelf arm. Rosen has a good arm. Ultimately, I don't think that's the most important trait for a quarterback, but it's off base to say that the guy we just traded for has a 'better arm' than the guy we just sent packing.

I always viewed Tannehill’s arm as strong... but lacking finesse... bad on screens and patterns requiring loft and touch... this is where I think Rosen is superior.

I don't know how good of a plan that is going to be in reality. Rosen being a pocket passer while the Dolphins probably won't have a very good offensive line. So Rosen will most likely be running around for his life while having to improvise to make plays which doesn't seem to be a strength of his. So basically it looks like the Dolphins spent a pick that could have been used on another offensive lineman or other position of need on Rosen while setting him up to fail in the process. Hey maybe this coaching staff will be able to make chicken salad out of chicken scratch when it comes to the offensive line. I guess losing a 2nd and 5th isn't the end of the world. Problem is when your team is in desperate need of starters every pick, especially those closer to the top of the draft such as that 2nd rounder, is important. We will see how this turns out. I am not a fan of Rosen as I don't believe he will ever be a franchise QB but I will root for him to succeed as long as he is on the Dolphins roster.
So that one extra offensive lineman we could have drafted was somehow going to set a quarterback drafted in 2020 up for success? Doesn't make sense....especially when you can draft a better offensive lineman in the first round next year instead a quarterback if we choose to do so.

Again... I think he has a better overall arm.

So that one extra offensive lineman we could have drafted was somehow going to set a quarterback drafted in 2020 up for success? Doesn't make sense....especially when you can draft a better offensive lineman in the first round next year instead a quarterback if we choose to do so.

And with our track record of drafting quality offensive linemen outside the first round, of course one guy was going to start as a rookie and stabilize the O line.

Even if the guy turns out to be terrible -- which is possible, if he's mentally fragile his time in Arizona might have ruined him -- it's still a good trade for us, as if he starts 16 games and is awful, he will set us up for Tua or Fromm or whoever you like in 2020. Don't understand people hanging themselves from the rafters over this trade. From a strategic standpoint, it was brilliant and I give Grier props for his decision to handle Arizona's hardball stance for the 2nd rounder by giving them a pick at the *** end of the 2nd round after trading down for even more valuable picks.
That's how I see it. Expectations low. If he becomes the one - great. If not we had a low investment and we'll revisit QB next year. We took two teams to the draft trade cleaner. That is a brandnew feeling.

So we basically traded....

a 2019 second round pick, 2019 fourth round pick, and a 2020 fifth round pick and received

a 2020 second round pick, a 2019 sixth round pick and Rosen.

For a team that is rebuilding, the difference in year (2019 and 2020) is pretty irrelevant given that next year's is stronger.

So basically I view that as a 4th and 5th round pick for Rosen and a sixth.

And people are complaining?????

I mean honestly there is no way of changing what they gave up for Rosen. Which is pick #62 in 2019 and a 5th round pick in 2020. If you believe that is great value then fine but it doesn't change the fact that those two picks are gone because they got Rosen.

Its because we went 21 years and have only drafted a 1st round QB ONE TIME!!!

Getting Rosen tonight for a 2nd rounder is high enough for our FO to give him a few years trying to get better, honestly I give us a 10% chance of drafting a QB next year in round 1.

You're just presuming that.

I do worry about Rosen behind this offensive line, I can't lie, but I've learned you can't be afraid to take a chance on a QB just because of your line. Though we seem to be catastrophically bad at it, its easier to find line prospects than QB prospects. I've seen this team field unfathomably bad lines before that I thought nobody could be successful behind, then I watched guys like Pennington and Frerotte come in and actually move in the pocket behind most of those same linemen and suddenly our line still wasn't good, but it wasn't something you had to think about. Bad QB's and bad staffs make lines look worse than they are. Remember how much better the line looked in a lot of games Osweiler started (note, not calling him a good QB)?

And with our track record of drafting quality offensive linemen outside the first round, of course one guy was going to start as a rookie and stabilize the O line.
How do you know that an OG/OT picked in the 2nd round isn't going to help improve the offensive line? A talented LG ,even a rookie, playing next to Tunsil could help improve the line immensly. I have no doubt that a OG picked in the 2nd round has a better chance at being successful than Josh Rosen does behind a bad offensive line. I mean people can make the same argument about this team's pasts results with trading 2nd round picks for QBs. I am just going to agree to disagree. I just hope that I am wrong about Rosen. If I am not then the Dolphins will most likely be picking top 3 next year which means they will have a shot at one of the top QBs. Only thing will be the wasted picks but that won't be anything new.

Back
Top Bottom