Goodbye Surtain | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Goodbye Surtain

bryancox51fan said:
He is not nearly as physical against the run as he use to be

ya Know...this is my biggest concern is that he just wasn't as physical in run support and I remember what Bill Parcells said....Miami's corners are not physical and you can "beat them up"....I don't watch film like coaches do and cannot say that is true...but atleast Bill Parcells can.I guess we will see how good he was when he is missed this year it looks like.I personally think we shouldn't tie up all that money in him when we have an adequate replacement and have other pressing needs.KC on the other hand needs him badly.

Surtain is great but hes had alot of knee and ankle problems over the last 3-4 seasons. Now that hes approaching 30 and he wants to be one of the highest payed players at his position its time to trade him!

Hopefully we'll get the Chiefs 2nd rounder!

If there was no such thing as cap penalities, I'd trade Madison and Howard for a second.
Then we could have Surtain-Poole-Edwards. That won't happen thought. Surtain will be dearly missed.

agree 100%

JCfinfan said:
I have mixed feelings only because he has been one of my favorite Dolphin players since we drafted him. However, this is a good business move for us. I think the team has to make the trade. It makes alot of sense to get rid of him now while we can drop his cap hit and get something in return. I dont think Surtain played to the level he was capable of playing last year because of the struggles we had as a team. I personally dont think he gave 100%. Just my opinion. I still think he is a top 5 corner in the league.
I love him to, I want to do whatever it takes to win

He is still def. a top 5 corner in the league, maybe even a top 3. I just hope we get a #2 this year b/c with KC improving their D a LITTLE already. And now with what will be the addition of Surtain their D improves A TON. They still need another corner though and a starting DE, so with their 1st rounder they should take care of one of those and if they do they will DEF. be SB contenders this year which means there 2nd round pick next year might as well be a 3rd. And although i think next years draft will have better TOP players i dont think it will be as DEEP as this one.

Brad528 said:
I think it will be a sad day in Miami when we let him go. We wont get anyone near his talent level with a second round pick. I think it could possibly be the dumbest move of the offseason in the entire NFL

Its not just about talent. Salary cap restraints dictate roster changes more than talent. Also, right now this team is more in need of a lot of good players, instead of a few great ones. Trading Surtain to lower the cap and acquire draft picks accomplishes that.
So, even though we will be losing one of the best CBs in the league, it isnt a dumb move....just a necessary one.

bryancox51fan said:
Looks like he's gonna be traded, just wondering how much everybody thinks he's gonna be missed. Personally, I think his best days are behind him.[/QUOTE
most likely true, but he is still an elite CB which isn't easy to find. He'll be missed and give him the respect he deserves a a player....
I'd rather see "get beat for the big play SAM" go....

I agree he is a top 5 corner, and he will definitely help KC make a run this year, but I don;t see him being dominate for years to come. I think we could have held out for a #1 if we had no cap issues but a #2 will help us acquire some needed young talent.

CHEERS to #23!!

oh well, we still have Sam, and Will

yea, I hate to see a player of his caliber go, but his cap number is too high, and it looks like were gonna get that 2nd rounder we need...so I can say goodbye to an ageing corner (especially with the new NFL no touch coverage rules), and hopefully say hello to to a furure QB, and/or RB. BTW, I do enjoy writing run-on satement such as this one...

When I saw this thread title, I thought the deal was completed and there would be a link or something, hence the 300 views this thread has in less than an hour. :rolleyes2

I love Surtain and am very confident that our passing defense will suffer because of him leaving, I don't think we will be ranked in the top 3 as in the last 3 years (and in 2002 we were ranked 2nd overall in rushing and 3rd overall in pass defense so our pass defense stats have not been just because of no running game)

Surtain held Torry "Big Game" Holt to one catch for four yards this season. Yes, THAT Torry Holt, the one that's been to just about every pro bowl in the past few seasons.
I think Patrick Surtain is amazing, he was injured for a part of the season and a lot of people are criticizing him, the point is that he's only missed four games in his career and has a ton of INT's.
Some people on this forum are just big Homers, the kind where Pat Surtain is the best to have ever played until he gets traded. Surtain is still a monster and the rest of the AFC east will breathe a sigh of relief when he gets traded. I wish him the best of luck in Kansas City... except when we play them this year.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
I beg to differ. Surtain will be tried more by QB's regardless of where he is at just because people thinks he has lost a step...In which case his Int's numbers will increase. he will be a pro bowler again and I hope he make everyone who has said he has lost a step eat serious big thick azz crow with a tall glass of cold syrup.

very well said, Surtain still has more years in him...CB's dont age as quick as other positions, look at Ty Law & the ageless wonder darrell green. I think its a mistake if we let Surtain go.

Back
Top Bottom