Gotta give Grier credit....his rookie class is showing out today! | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gotta give Grier credit....his rookie class is showing out today!

Grier deserves credit where credit is due. After a 1-7 start, he deserved to get heavily criticized. But as the team began to settle in, it now appears its more likely bad coaching in the areas of regression, such as the offensive line. Iggy doesn't appear to be heading in the right direction. Is it talent or coaching? Or perhaps even experience?

Tua has certainly turned the corner, the short passing game suits him well. He thrives in it. Eichenberg hasn't held up at LT and seems better suited for a guard position.

Tua, Waddle, Phillips and Holland can become cornerstones for the offense and defense, which isn't bad. Even the complimentary players such as Gaskins, Wilkins, Needham and Van Ginkle have to be considered successes.

Like most GM's in every sport, they blow, hot and cold. I just hope if Ross decides to keep Grier he can somehow continue to add, to the 4 cornerstones already here.

If Austin Jackson ever develops as a serviceable player, its a home run for Miami. Whether Grier is here to witness that, remains to be seen.

Not bad then so long as Grier doesn't trade it.

I honestly don't see Trey Lance as a guy pushing them to a spot next year where that 2023 pick is in the 20s.

IMO 49ers made a terrible play/pick. Should have taken Jones. Lance looks out of his league.
Too early to tell, but Lance will take a little time IMO. What he has going for him is a tremendous running game in SF.

Iggy doesn't appear to be heading in the right direction. Is it talent or coaching? Or perhaps even experience?
Iggy was known to be a "project player" pre-draft. I am not sure what that means to you but to me you should not expect much from him in his first 2-3 years in fact you should expect some early struggles. The only problem I have with his pick is doing it in the first round. That was a mistake by Grier imho, but there should not be any high expectations for Iggy early on.

Iggy was known to be a "project player" pre-draft. I am not sure what that means to you but to me you should not expect much from him in his first 2-3 years in fact you should expect some early struggles. The only problem I have with his pick is doing it in the first round. That was a mistake by Grier imho, but there should not be any high expectations for Iggy early on.
I have hopes for Iggy but I NEVER take a "project player" in rounds 1 or 2. Particularly if I have far bigger needs then CB. That was a mistake.

If Tua has time to throw I do think it’s safe to say he’d be one of those 75%-90% QBs that find the open guy and get the ball there. That he’s completing at that rate under duress is how I reached this conclusion. With time I think he’s going to be one of those QBs you hate playing against (like Montana was or Brady is) because he’s learning to take what’s there and he’s very accurate + has very good pocket awareness.
Not only is he accurate on completion %, but on the placement of the ball. I was watching one of the shows and they were talking about how the ball he throws "melts" in the hands of the receivers, and most of the times it's where the receiver can catch it and do something with it. IMO health is the only thing that worries me, but not to the point I don't want to ride with Tua.

Jaelen Phillips is 2.5 sacks behind Micah Parsons.

Another big game and he'll be pushing for DROY along with Parsons....and his teammate Holland!
With 200 less snaps at that. Parsons is s stud, and he was actually who I wanted with the first pick, but at this point I have no complaints with the first three picks from 2021.

So the cheatriots have how many great receivers? They have how many great RBs on the roster? To me, it's obvious that Jones is more NFL ready than Tua. Tua showed a marked improvement over the last few games, and most especially today's game.

Where do you get the 10x thing? When did I say that? I'm not gonna lie. 10 times less than the cheatriots? Really? Has anyone other than a cheatriots fan ever claimed they had ten times the players on O than Miami?
NE is doing exactly what they did with Brady in his early years. Have a strong defense, strong OL, very smart/disciplined players on O who will do what they're told 99% of the time, and playing within a game-management system loaded with high-completion-rate passes. I'm not knocking it...it works for them under BB...always has. Quick pass plays, always an outlet, always beating the blitz with a hot target.

They're #2 in the league in defense DVOA, turnover total, and turnover differential. The defense is carrying that team, while the offense is playing its part. Worked for Brady's years before he evolved into elite status...working again with Jones. You put Tua on that team, it would look much the same. The second NE picked Jones, I knew it was coming.

Jaelen Phillips is 2.5 sacks behind Micah Parsons.

Another big game and he'll be pushing for DROY along with Parsons....and his teammate Holland!
The only one of those three currently in the top 7 for DROY projection, is Parsons at #1. #2 is Patrick Surtain II, and he's been turning it up. Going to be VERY hard to move ahead of those 2 guys.

I personally don’t know who deserves the credit in 2021. It’s was a much better draft than 2020, when Grier was solely responsible for that draft. In 2021 they brought in McKenzie and Allen.

Mackenzie and Allen have had a history of picking some very good players with the Chiefs, Bills and Raiders over the years. Maybe they had Grier’s ear when it came to the picks?

Maybe ultimately Grier deserves the credit for bringing those 2 into the fold or maybe that came from Ross or someone else Ross listens to, who knows?

It's the same formula for the Patriots that we've seen for 20 years, short passes on offense, don't take many chances, decent running game, win with defense and by not making mistakes. Even with Brady, the only chances the Patriots took downfield were the TE mismatches with Gronk and Hernandez. With the exception of when they had Randy Moss. Jones doesn't challenge down field much at all and the NE defense is playing well. It's allowing Jones to be ultra-conservative and have success.

Dolphins run almost same thing N.E does. Our defense is key to victory...
It's not surprising that Flores is copying the Pats. However, Mac Jones has been put in a much better situation than Tua. These excerpts from an article written by nfl.com columnist Jeffri Chadiha make me really mad:

"The New England Patriots have generated a six-game winning streak by relying on all the foundational principles that make head coach Bill Belichick smile. They've benefitted from a ball-hawking defense, effective special teams and a blue-collar offense that prides itself on efficiency and balance. All those elements have helped rookie quarterback Mac Jones find his way as a first-year starter."

(About Mac Jones)
"So far, he's been the perfect fit for a team that has been built to make life easier for him."
"Jones also is quick to celebrate the protection from his offensive line and the opportunistic play of that swarming defense."

This is why I hate Grier and Flores! After years and years, Miami finally decided to use an early pick on a QB, and what do they do to support him? Nothing! Sure, they tried to build an o-line but failed miserably. Do they give him an established OC? Nope. (Last season with Gailey doesn't count; this is Tua's year to be the starter.) How about a strong running game? Two drafts with a ton of picks, and they didn't bother to get a decent RB. Last season Miami had an aggressive, swarming, opportunistic-style defense to help out their offense, so surely Tua had some help there, right? Nope! Flores didn't bring out that defense until Week #8.

It makes me sick to see the Pats atop the Division, and without Brady! Miami should be in that spot, but Grier can't even build an average o-line or draft a RB, and Flores can't build a decent coaching staff. I will not give any credit to Grier for hitting on a few draft picks, because overall he's terrible. The main goal over the past two off-seasons was to support their young QB, and he didn't do that.

Some people are just haters and never willing to give credit when credit is due.
I mean I don't think it's due yet for this specific season but also neither is the heightened criticism. Each season is a volume. Team needs to keep winning while the rookies improve and head out there to nail it in FA.

I personally don’t know who deserves the credit in 2021. It’s was a much better draft than 2020, when Grier was solely responsible for that draft. In 2021 they brought in McKenzie and Allen.

Mackenzie and Allen have had a history of picking some very good players with the Chiefs, Bills and Raiders over the years. Maybe they had Grier’s ear when it came to the picks?

Maybe ultimately Grier deserves the credit for bringing those 2 into the fold or maybe that came from Ross or someone else Ross listens to, who knows?
Actually, they were both here for the 2019 draft, though most of the ground work was already layed. One hired in January, the other in February of 2019.

They were totally in their positions for the 2020 draft.

Just sayin.......

Actually, they were both here for the 2019 draft, though most of the ground work was already layed. One hired in January, the other in February of 2019.

They were totally in their positions for the 2020 draft.

Just sayin.......
You are correct, thanks

I can't decide which pick I love more between Jaylen Waddle and Jevon Holland. Then you have to factor in Jaelan Phillips is starting to ball out... I also like Eich, I think he looks much worse because of AJ. I liked the Austin Jackson pick at the time but I'm still waiting for him to show he can be the LT of the future.

Back
Top Bottom