Grade Flores: So Far This Season... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade Flores: So Far This Season...

He looked pretty downtrodden last week. I don't know if any of you caught that or I'm on my own here.

His gaze reminded me of Culpepper.

There is literally nothing they can do with this run blocking and pass rush. My gut wrenches at home. I can only imagine what it feels like on the sideline.

You know it's bad when the old man behind center is screaming like a banshee after an insignificant score.

I wonder if Flores knew what truly he was bound to expect or are we breaking our coach.

We were making strides but the Browns, THE BROWNS, made us look like a pee wee team.

I can't grade Flores. It's not fair to do so.

He looked pretty downtrodden last week. I don't know if any of you caught that or I'm on my own here.

There is literally nothing they can do with this run blocking and pass rush. My gut wrenches at home. I can only imagine what it feels like on the sideline.

You know it's bad when the old man behind center is screaming like a banshee after an insignificant score.

I wonder if Flores knew what truly he was bound to expect or are we breaking our coach.

We were making strides but the Browns, THE BROWNS, made us look like a pee wee team.

While I see your point, Miami had no pas rush and were playing with a forth team secondary. Not much a top HC could do about that

Culpepper?
You might want to lay off the Egg-nog for the holiday season or at the least, tell the bar tender more "egg" and less "nog"

IDK about an A+, but I feel better about him than I have anyone since Wanny was stalking the sidelines with that "deer in the headlights" look.

There is plenty to like about the guy. Seems like a guy who believes in being disciplined, prepared and holding ppl accountable. That only flies if you have player's respect, which I would say he does.

Some of his decisions, both in game and otherwise have been a bit suspect to me, but hey, he's a rookie, and hindsight is 20/20.

I'm going to go with a solid B+ at this point, with high expectations going forward.

It's almost impossible to say if the Xs and Os are superior, because he just simply hasn't had the horses, or the time (with all the player turnover) to make that determination.

I prefer grading him without referencing any of his predecessors.

There is no value in making the comparisons considering the team and the game rules and their enforcement were different between then and now.

Is he getting his process into play with this team? - Yes, it appears that he is.
Is he getting performance from the players at all positions and skill levels? - I think so.
Is the team getting better or worse? I see the team getting better. It is getting more competitive, especially this last few weeks. It is starting to win, which is the final goal no mater what some lemmings say!

Culpepper?
You might want to lay off the Egg-nog for the holiday season or at the least, tell the bar tender more "egg" and less "nog"

Dude, his eyes looked really sad to me every time he was on camera. I waited to drink after the game cuz the BBQ wasn't ready yet so it's a sober analysis wrong as it may be.

He looked distraught.

And, Egg-nog? Really, bro? Come on. Don't do me like that.

I prefer grading him without referencing any of his predecessors.

There is no value in making the comparisons considering the team and the game rules and their enforcement were different between then and now.

Is he getting his process into play with this team? - Yes, it appears that he is.
Is he getting performance from the players at all positions and skill levels? - I think so.
Is the team getting better or worse? I see the team getting better. It is getting more competitive, especially this last few weeks. It is starting to win, which is the final goal no mater what some lemmings say!

I agree with you on all points and to score him based on a thirdandary, a dline as in deplorable line, and oline as in its offensive to watch, is not justifiable.

Be that as it may, that was rough to watch last Sunday.

We'll truly know when we give this guy some talent.

But buyers beware, AND if anyone has ever read any of my posts, you know I'm a staunch fan of Flores.

But I wear both shoes. Be honest with yourselves. Our adjustments come half-time have been atrocious.

Keep an even keel is all I'm saying. We do this all of the time here. We grant a coach the second coming only to set him on fire after a year or two.

Chill out. You can't grade him on this season or probably even the next. Keep your pitchforks and torches in the shed. C.h.i.l.l. O.u.t..

I get your logic. My only disagreement is the basis of the grade. My basis is what fans/I expected at PS game 1. Just about every 'expert/fan expected nothing. First 4 games convinced everyone that opinion was correct. Nonetheless, given the talent level and injuries and STILL playing well is beyond what I think anyone expected. And seeing the Bills disect the Boys yesterday, I don't think Miami embarrassed themselves in the 37-20 loss. I'm staying with A-.

...And makes perfect sense, I just thought if there is even a ridiculous .767687% chance Miami could have been more competitive, reached the Playoffs, reached the SB, or even won with what they have right now, I had to grade it that way.

I am no less impressed then you on how well this team has played with at some positions 3rd string players, and can't wait for next years roster of better calculated FA sprinked on an epic draft coming up.

How ironic would it be (and I know this may be a stretch at this point) if over the next 5-10 years we became the more successful franchise?
I'm not sure it's that much of a stretch though.

I truly believe in the path on which this franchise has embarked.

Of course it is dependant on having a good HC (I think Flo can be that), and drafting wisely.

The Steelers are on the backside of their franchise QBs career. Their coach has been competant, but I think he is nearing his expiration date. In short, they are no longer the same team that has been perennial contenders.

They are one poor QB selection away from being a bad team. Noll and Cower aren't walking through the door.

Of course it is dependant on having a good HC (I think Flo can be that), and drafting wisely.

The Steelers are on the backside of their franchise QBs career. Their coach has been competant, but I think he is nearing his expiration date. In short, they are no longer the same team that has been perennial contenders.

They are one poor QB selection away from being a bad team. Noll and Cower aren't walking through the door.
I’m a believer in Mike Tomlin, always have, wanted him way back in the day after he left minny....think he stays and theY do a little rebuild of that offense..

Last edited:

If hx has taught us anything, it's no team is a playoff team forever. fans WILL see the decline NE, PITT, and others. The question is when. I suspect we'll see the demise of NE before PITT, but within 10 years? Probably.

I’m a believer in Mike Tomlin, always have, wanted him way back in the day faster he left minny....think he stays and the do a little rebuild of that offense..
I don't have any issue with Tomlin at all. I think he is a quality coach. Change is part of life, though. I don't know how many years he has there, but it is a demanding, 24/7 job. At some point, everybody acknowledges a change is best.

If hx has taught us anything, it's no team is a playoff team forever. fans WILL see the decline NE, PITT, and others. The question is when. I suspect we'll see the demise of NE before PITT, but within 10 years? Probably.
I do think the Steelers are an outlier in that respect. They have had down years, or two, but the really haven't had an extended period where they were not in playoff contention, going back to the Noll years. It's, IMO, a testament to consistency, from the standpoints of ownership, philosophy, and coaching.

3 HCs, in almost 5 decades???

Unreal... .

I do think the Steelers are an outlier in that respect. They have had down years, or two, but the really haven't had an extended period where they were not in playoff contention, going back to the Noll years. It's, IMO, a testament to consistency, from the standpoints of ownership, philosophy, and coaching.

Completely agree. Nonetheless, (one of my obsessions) success or failure have some luck involved. Good coaching and players can overcome some luck, but at some point, that luck will turn. No one knows when, but I wouldn't bet PITT is a playoff team for the next 20 years.

I don't have any issue with Tomlin at all. I think he is a quality coach. Change is part of life, though. I don't know how many years he has there, but it is a demanding, 24/7 job. At some point, everybody acknowledges a change is best.
He’s a fairly young head coach, as long as he has the fervor required I will always side with the coach, not change for change sake..

Im not going to actually grade him, because quite frankly, this is a tanking environement in which very few things are comparable to a competitive one. As someone stated previously, anyone on the roster who could have been difficult dealing with in a losing environement was shown the door... What he's left with is basically players who got cut playing for their careers here.

Im not saying its a good thing or a bad thing, just that giving a grade here is difficult given that we're essentially trying to evaluate a chess player while he's playing monopoly...

Im not going to lie, I didnt like the hire at all so there's that, but short of contributing any quantifiable evalutation, I will say that he looks like an NFL coach IMO, communication doesnt seem like its going to be an issue with him at all, nor do I ever expect his ego to get in the way. Flores looks like a guy who understands himself very well, in other words, I think he's very likely to ID his strengths and weaknesses pretty quickly and delegate tasks throughout his staff accordingly.

This part is pure speculation on my part but I dont believe this guy is going to win games based on his Xs and Os knowledge and inovations, he'll win games by being a good manager of people and maintaining a clear, well-defined direction for everyone in the organization.

Back
Top Bottom