Grade McD: Last Season... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade McD: Last Season...

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Grade coach on his calls last season, and leave your comments. Curious.

Play calling: B+

This was the most creative and fun offense we’ve seen in quite some time. The route combos and play designs were perfect at times. The lack of run to pass balance is the only thing that dropped it from an easy A.

Clock management F

How many time outs did we waste this year? We even burned on right after the start of a half. This must improve and I think it will. The F is mostly due to the 4th and inches blunder against Buffalo in the playoffs. That one still hurts.

Situational play calling: D+

Particularly the 3rd and short. The personnel grouping, formations and too many pass plays on 3rd and short were very disappointing. Grade slightly elevated due to 4th down gutsy calls.

In game adjustments: F

Sorry but there’s no other way to sugar coat this. He simply could not it did not adjust. See any December game you like, it’s glaring that he was a rookie coach learning. This will make or break him as an NFL coach imo.

Personnel management: A

Just look at the confidence he showed and gave to Tua. His post game speeches were also something to behold. He’s a player’s coach but not in any way in the negative sense. His (apparent) belief in Eich and Jackson are his only blemish in this department. Hopefully he turns out to be right and the tons of bad tape from the past 2/3 years is wrong.

Overall grade C+ to B-

He is a bright young mind so I expect improvement. I didn’t expect there to be so many areas to improve but it is what it is. If we commit to the run, especially on 3rd and short, and he gets play in on time we should be serious contenders and he’ll raise his grade to the high B (as a floor) to an A.

Personally I’m rooting for him and I think he’ll make the strides he needs to. The in game adjustments are more about letting go of the ego and listening to your coaching staff’s advice. That’ll be the hardest lesson for him to learn, but definitely not impossible.

This was the most creative and fun offense we’ve seen in quite some time. The route combos and play designs were perfect at times. The lack of run to pass balance is the only thing that dropped it from an easy A.

Clock management F

How many time outs did we waste this year? We even burned on right after the start of a half. This must improve and I think it will. The F is mostly due to the 4th and inches blunder against Buffalo in the playoffs. That one still hurts.

Particularly the 3rd and short. The personnel grounding, formations and too many pass plays on 3rd and short were very disappointing. Grade slightly elevated due to 4th down gutsy calls.

Sorry but there’s no other way to sugar coat this. He simply could not it did not adjust. See any December game you like, it’s glaring that he was a rookie coach learning. This will make or break him as an NFL coach imo.

Just look at the confidence he showed and gave to Tua. His post game speeches were also something to behold. He’s a player’s coach but not in any way in the negative sense. His (apparent) belief in Eich and Jackson are his only blemish in this department. Hopefully he turns out to be right and the tons of bad tape from the past 2/3 years is wrong.

Overall grade C+ to B-

He is a bright young mind so I expect improvement. I didn’t expect there to be so many areas to improve but it is what it is. If we commit to the run, especially on 3rd and short, and he gets play in on time we should be serious contenders and he’ll raise his grade to the high B (as a floor) to an A.

Personally I’m rooting for him and I think he’ll make the strides he needs to. The in game adjustments are more about letting go of the ego and listening to your coaching staff’s advice. That’ll be the hardest lesson for him to learn, but definitely not impossible.

Great analysis.

Clock management F

Particularly the 3rd and short. The personnel grouping, formations and too many pass plays on 3rd and short were very disappointing. Grade slightly elevated due to 4th down gutsy calls.

Overall grade C+ to B-

Wow - this is great and I agree 100%. The clock management was the worst in franchise history and that’s not hyperbole. We wasted more timeouts / had more delay of game penalties combined than ever. It was horrible. Then on the other hand, as noted the play calling was really creative and he is a bright guy. We could have been better than 9-8 and we could have won the Buffalo playoff game - being close to the league lead in penalties and rarely having a full compliment of timeouts at the ends of halves likely cost us a game or two. That said, hopes are high going forward but if not being able to get plays off on time continues this season then I’m sorry but he will need to get an OC to call plays.

His scheme is the reason our oline has looked so much better. If we are able to get some decent olineman we could be a very good offense. I personally think he shouldn't get lower than a B overall. Plus I love how he saw our deficiencies during last year, and we made major changes. Can he clean things up? Sure. But the offensive play calling is the best I have ever seen here in Miami, but I wasnt around for the golden days.

Last edited:

Clock management F

Overall grade C+ to B-

This exactly. Very fair on all points.

I would give McD a B to B+ overall.

Negatives
He clearly had struggles getting plays in on time, clock management (although I see that as overblown), in game adjustments and play-calling (balance and knowing when to be aggressive and when to let the game come to you).

Positives
But he was incredible at changing the culture of the team. Changing the culture is huge. That, by itself, made him a successful first year coach.

His ability to attract coaches and players is also off the charts. This is arguably a subset of the culture change, but deserves it's own line. Flores changed the culture but was a repellent to players and coaches. This is also huge. You could be a pretty average (or worse) HC and be very successful if you bring in the right staff around you.

Pre-game planning was very good. I never felt the team came in unprepared.

Creating a modern offense. He took a team with one of the perennially worst offenses and made it a top 5 unit in one season. Personnel changes were obviously a factor, but we've seen big FAs come in and have far less impact.

Managing the personalities on the team. This is often one of the most challenging parts for a new HC as we have seen from guys like Cam, Flores and Gase. Those guys had great football IQs, but had substandard EQ. McD is on the other end of that spectrum. His EQ might be where his genius is most evident.

Clock management F

Overall grade C+ to B-

First, I'll divide this into two sections.
1) HC - I give him an A-. Very good. Unknown is how much say he had over the D. Did he instruct to play prevent early in 4Q? The A MINUS is because of his choice of OC, which brings me to . . .
2) OC - Sorry, overall, D. You hit on all them. Play creativity was the biggest +, but even then, too many crossing patterns, parts of the field he literally seemed to avoid, and play types apparently not in the playbook <exaggeration> And for those who say (correctly) he was a rookie HC/OC learning his craft, in some things he became worse as the season went on (e.g., getting plays in late). Play-calling cost a couple of games.
with that as hx, if he can learn from his mistakes, and I think he will, I'm excited to see this O this fall. The QB and weapons are there. Better D. better O. Better OC. Better ST. As HC, best since Shula.

Negatives
He clearly had struggles getting plays in on time, clock management (although I see that as overblown), in game adjustments and play-calling (balance and knowing when to be aggressive and when to let the game come to you).

Positives
But he was incredible at changing the culture of the team. Changing the culture is huge. That, by itself, made him a successful first year coach.

His ability to attract coaches and players is also off the charts. This is arguably a subset of the culture change, but deserves it's own line. Flores changed the culture but was a repellent to players and coaches. This is also huge. You could be a pretty average (or worse) HC and be very successful if you bring in the right staff around you.

Creating a modern offense. He took a team with one of the perennially worst offenses and made it a top 5 unit in one season. Personnel changes were obviously a factor, but we've seen big FAs come in and have far less impact.

Managing the personalities on the team. This is often one of the most challenging parts for a new HC as we have seen from guys like Cam, Flores and Gase. Those guys had great football IQs, but had substandard EQ. McD is on the other end of that spectrum. His EQ might be where his genius is most evident.
The players obviously bought in and played hard for McDaniel. Miami was in virtually every game.

Good point on attracting coaches. Fangio was the top assistant available and he chose McDaniel and the Dolphins. That type of move didn't happen in three years with Flores.

There's obviously room for improvement, but I don't think McDaniel will be headstrong and gloss over what he needs to work on.

Grier and McDaniel have been busy the last 15-months.

• Only 26 of 72 players from ‘21 final roster remain on the team
• 15 of 25 starters were replaced/upgraded:

🌟 🌟 🌟 - Significant Upgrade
⭐️ - Upgrade

OFFENSE (10 of 11 starters changed)
QB: Tua 🟰 Tua
LT: Liam Eichenberg ➡️ Terron Armstead 🌟 🌟 🌟
LG: Austin Jackson ➡️ Liam Eichenberg
C: Michael Dieter ➡️ Connor Williams ⭐
RG: Robert Hunt ➡️ Robert Hunt
RT: Jesse Davis ➡️ Austin Jackson
TE: Mike Gesicki ➡️ Durham Smythe
RB: Myles Gaskin ➡️ Raheem Mostert ⭐
WR1: Devante Parker ➡️ Tyreek Hill 🌟 🌟 🌟
WR2: Jaylen Waddle ➡️ Jaylen Waddle
WR3: Mack Hollins ➡️ Cedric Wilson

DEFENSE (6 of 11 starters changed)
RDE: Christian Wilkins 🟰 Christian Wilkins
NT: Raekwon Davis 🟰 Raekwon Davis
LDE: Emmanuel Ogbah 🟰 Emmanuel Ogbah
LOLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Jaelen Phillips 🌟 🌟 🌟
LILB: Elandon Roberts ➡️ David Long ⭐
RILB: Jerome Baker 🟰 Jerome Baker
ROLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Bradley Chubb ⭐
LCB: Byron Jones ➡️ Jalen Ramsay 🌟 🌟 🌟
RCB: Xavien Howard 🟰 Xavien Howard
SS: Brandon Jones ➡️ DeShon Elliott
FS: Eric Rowe ➡️ Jevon Holland ⭐

SPECIAL TEAMS (1 of 3 starters changed)
K: Jason Sanders 🟰 Jason Sanders
P: Michael Palardy ➡️ Bailey / Turk ⭐
LS: Blake Ferguson 🟰 Blake Ferguson

Last edited:

⭐️ - Upgrade

RB: Myles Gaskin ➡️ Raheem Mostert ⭐
WR1: Devante Parker ➡️ Tyreek Hill 🌟 🌟 🌟
WR2: Jaylen Waddle ➡️ Jaylen Waddle
WR3: Mack Hollins ➡️ Cedric Wilson

DEFENSE (6 of 11 starters changed)
RDE: Christian Wilkins 🟰 Christian Wilkins
NT: Raekwon Davis 🟰 Raekwon Davis
LDE: Emmanuel Ogbah 🟰 Emmanuel Ogbah
LOLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Jaelen Phillips 🌟 🌟 🌟
LILB: Elandon Roberts ➡️ David Long ⭐
RILB: Jerome Baker 🟰 Jerome Baker
ROLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Bradley Chubb ⭐
LCB: Byron Jones ➡️ Jalen Ramsay 🌟 🌟 🌟
RCB: Xavien Howard 🟰 Xavien Howard
SS: Brandon Jones ➡️ DeShon Elliott
FS: Eric Rowe ➡️ Jevon Holland ⭐

SPECIAL TEAMS (1 of 3 starters changed)
K: Jason Sanders 🟰 Jason Sanders
P: Matt Palardy ➡️ Bailey / Turk ⭐
LS: Blake Ferguson 🟰 Blake Ferguson
Nicely done.

Negatives

Positives

Agree w a lot of this though the clock management thing is very real for me. Your points about culture - are spot on - and that affected the team in so many ways for the good.

⭐️ - Upgrade