Grade McD: Last Season... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade McD: Last Season...

We wasted more timeouts / had more delay of game penalties combined than ever. It was horrible.
It was bad enough that he had trouble getting the plays called in to the QB on time (communication issues or indecision as to what to call?), but what made it even worse was his stubborn reliance on having one or two guys go in motion on nearly every play. When the play is late and the offense breaks the huddle with only seconds to go, it doesn't make sense to have someone go in motion!

Passing game: A-
Passing game was our bread and butter and we haven't seen an offense perform like that since the Marino years. The Tyreek Hill trade proved to be well worth the investment. You can tell McDaniel really schemed Hill and Waddle very well. But at times it felt like we were force feeding Hill a little too much. With all the attention on Hill and Waddle I feel like coach could have schemed up others to be wide open on some plays but that really wasn't the case. It was Hill and Waddle come Hill or high water (see what I did there).

Running game: C-
In short, most of the time McDaniel's play calling was like a kid playing madden, passing every down and abandoning the run game - even when it was working. Coach outsmarted himself too many times in short yardage situations. McDaniel never seemed to game plan for any run heavy games even against defenses that struggled against the run. Felt we were very one demensional on offense.

O-line: B-
It was an improvement and the Armstead acquisition showed why he makes so much money. Seemed to have found a Center and Robert Hunt doesn't suck so that's all positives. we had some no name guys step up and play admirably given the situation and their role. However, Eichenberg and Austin Jackson still suck.

Defense: C
Injuries, Josh Boyers, excuses.....the defense under achieved.

Special Teams: C-
Nothing special about our special teams in 2022.

Overall grade: B-
We made the playsoff.....barely and we fought well in that game. Injuries sucked. A part of me says coach should have a higher grade because he was a rookie last year but another part of me says....this team was stacked and SHOULD have made the playoffs. The offense was very exciting at times. Coach needs to game plan better at attacking teams defenses and making faster adjustments. His time management stressed me out way more than it should, that has to get better. The penalties were also major killers. As Im writing this Im realizing that the only thing really the McDaniel significantly improved our team on was the passing game and the O-line. But again with guys like Hill and Waddle and adding Armstead, it SHOULD be better. He met expectations. And he has a breath of fresh air type personality. This year the expectations are higher and needs to be met again, a playoff win, at minimum, is a must.

Passing game was our bread and butter and we haven't seen an offense perform like that since the Marino years. The Tyreek Hill trade proved to be well worth the investment. You can tell McDaniel really schemed Hill and Waddle very well. But at times it felt like we were force feeding Hill a little too much. With all the attention on Hill and Waddle I feel like coach could have schemed up others to be wide open on some plays but that really wasn't the case. It was Hill and Waddle come Hill or high water (see what I did there).

In short, most of the time McDaniel's play calling was like a kid playing madden, passing every down and abandoning the run game - even when it was working. Coach outsmarted himself too many times in short yardage situations. McDaniel never seemed to game plan for any run heavy games even against defenses that struggled against the run. Felt we were very one demensional on offense.

It was an improvement and the Armstead acquisition showed why he makes so much money. Seemed to have found a Center and Robert Hunt doesn't suck so that's all positives. we had some no name guys step up and play admirably given the situation and their role. However, Eichenberg and Austin Jackson still suck.

We made the playsoff.....barely and we fought well in that game. Injuries sucked. A part of me says coach should have a higher grade because he was a rookie last year but another part of me says....this team was stacked and SHOULD have made the playoffs. The offense was very exciting at times. Coach needs to game plan better at attacking teams defenses and making faster adjustments. His time management stressed me out way more than it should, that has to get better. The penalties were also major killers. As Im writing this Im realizing that the only thing really the McDaniel significantly improved our team on was the passing game and the O-line. But again with guys like Hill and Waddle and adding Armstead, it SHOULD be better. He met expectations. And he has a breath of fresh air type personality. This year the expectations are higher and needs to be met again, a playoff win, at minimum, is a must.
Nice post. I would point out a couple of probable contributing factors.

Yes, a high percentage (over 50% IIRC) went to Hill/Waddle and some of it was, indeed, "forced". It may not be all on McD's scheme or play calls, though.

It was Tua's first year with competent coaching, in a complex scheme that featured a lot of motion, and requires more advanced reads than he had ever seen before, and he may not have had much confidence and/or time in going beyond his second read in some cases. When he had time, he got farther into his progressions.

Bottom line, I have confidence that should improve in year two.

I would argue the same principle with rushing. First year for most of those guys in a zone scheme.

I don't see any valid reason the offense shouldn't be even better this season.

The defensive shortcomings have been addressed as well, though now you have a situation where there are s veral new pieces, and most of them will have to learn the new scheme on the fly. I do think it's easier/faster for a defense to gel, in most cases, than an offense.

Yeah, specials sucked for the most part. We should have better quality returners, but I'm skeptical that was the major issue. We shall see.

I think we see less of forcing stuff to Hill. You just got handed the keys to a Koenigsegg so of course you are going to have fun with it at first.

IMO, Tua getting rid of the ball quickly made the o-line look better than they are, because it seemed that the line wasn't nearly as good when Tua was out.

Agreed. I definitely think it was a combo as well but Tua's release is definitely the main reason too.

I think we see less of forcing stuff to Hill. You just got handed the keys to a Koenigsegg so of course you are going to have fun with it at first.
I’m not sure we forced the ball to Hill.

Perhaps the data shows a hi level of production relative to targets, which would mean it’s a good thing to force the ball to him.

I give McD a solid B trending upward with experience. He has all the tools to become a great coach, but we must be patient and allow him to mature in his areas of weakness (which all rookie coaches have) such as clock management, in game adjustments and pounding the rock more.

C+, we were slightly above average and made the playoffs by backing in against a Jets teams that was slightly worse than we were. McDaniel experienced early success with a strong intermediate passing game. San Francisco exposed how to slow that down and McDaniel never made correct adjustments to how teames where stopping us, even before Tua went down.

He was also a big reason we lost the playoff game against Buffalo because he takes too long to pick a play and get it into the QB. This was an issue all year, but especially when dealing with a rookie QB on the road in a playoff game. I really like McDaniel a lot, but won't sugar coat the fact that his inexperience cost us games in both adjustments and taking too long to call plays. The good news is he now has a year under his belt and should be much better this year!

Play calling: B+

This was the most creative and fun offense we’ve seen in quite some time. The route combos and play designs were perfect at times. The lack of run to pass balance is the only thing that dropped it from an easy A.

Clock management F

How many time outs did we waste this year? We even burned on right after the start of a half. This must improve and I think it will. The F is mostly due to the 4th and inches blunder against Buffalo in the playoffs. That one still hurts.

Situational play calling: D+

Particularly the 3rd and short. The personnel grouping, formations and too many pass plays on 3rd and short were very disappointing. Grade slightly elevated due to 4th down gutsy calls.

In game adjustments: F

Sorry but there’s no other way to sugar coat this. He simply could not it did not adjust. See any December game you like, it’s glaring that he was a rookie coach learning. This will make or break him as an NFL coach imo.

Personnel management: A

Just look at the confidence he showed and gave to Tua. His post game speeches were also something to behold. He’s a player’s coach but not in any way in the negative sense. His (apparent) belief in Eich and Jackson are his only blemish in this department. Hopefully he turns out to be right and the tons of bad tape from the past 2/3 years is wrong.

Overall grade C+ to B-

He is a bright young mind so I expect improvement. I didn’t expect there to be so many areas to improve but it is what it is. If we commit to the run, especially on 3rd and short, and he gets play in on time we should be serious contenders and he’ll raise his grade to the high B (as a floor) to an A.

Personally I’m rooting for him and I think he’ll make the strides he needs to. The in game adjustments are more about letting go of the ego and listening to your coaching staff’s advice. That’ll be the hardest lesson for him to learn, but definitely not impossible.
I think we should just close this thread. You nailed it.

It was bad enough that he had trouble getting the plays called in to the QB on time (communication issues or indecision as to what to call?), but what made it even worse was his stubborn reliance on having one or two guys go in motion on nearly every play. When the play is late and the offense breaks the huddle with only seconds to go, it doesn't make sense to have someone go in motion!
Honestly, he didn’t get roasted as badly as he deserved for going from 4th and inches to 4th and 5 that ultimately did us in the playoff game. He got a pass because of the overall good body of work but that gaffe was really beyond amateur and embarrassing. He needs to fix this issue - there’s no excuse for it. That, plus the penalties, are two things I need to see massive improvement in before I can fully get excited about him. He has a lot of strengths and I’m optimistic overall though.

C+, we were slightly above average and made the playoffs by backing in against a Jets teams that was slightly worse than we were. McDaniel experienced early success with a strong intermediate passing game. San Francisco exposed how to slow that down and McDaniel never made correct adjustments to how teames where stopping us, even before Tua went down.

He was also a big reason we lost the playoff game against Buffalo because he takes too long to pick a play and get it into the QB. This was an issue all year, but especially when dealing with a rookie QB on the road in a playoff game. I really like McDaniel a lot, but won't sugar coat the fact that his inexperience cost us games in both adjustments and taking too long to call plays. The good news is he now has a year under his belt and should be much better this year!
Exactly this. Too many McD’s apologists and homers here, but you hit it exactly

Wow - this is great and I agree 100%. The clock management was the worst in franchise history and that’s not hyperbole. We wasted more timeouts / had more delay of game penalties combined than ever. It was horrible. Then on the other hand, as noted the play calling was really creative and he is a bright guy. We could have been better than 9-8 and we could have won the Buffalo playoff game - being close to the league lead in penalties and rarely having a full compliment of timeouts at the ends of halves likely cost us a game or two. That said, hopes are high going forward but if not being able to get plays off on time continues this season then I’m sorry but he will need to get an OC to call plays.
Of course we had exactly the same number o delay of games in 2021 and 2022 yet we played 1 more game

Exactly this. Too many McD’s apologists and homers here, but you hit it exactly
Labelling people who are excited about the changes McDaniel has made to the offense and overall team culture as apologists and homers feels unnecessary.

Every coach makes in game errors. Less experienced coaches probably make more. Good ones learn and improve.

No doubt he made errors in the Buffalo game but if you’re not incredibly excited for the new season I think you’re missing the bigger picture … the team is trending upwards and that’s good news

Maybe if we win a playoff game he might earn a B- 🙃

I’d say there’s a few negative Nancy’s who only see the small picture nitpicks and can’t see the big picture improvements

Back
Top Bottom