Grade The Game: Preseason Game 1 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade The Game: Preseason Game 1

Grade the first exhibition game

• Total voters
McMillian didn't look healthy to me. Looked tentative. Poor in his run fits. Overran his gaps and left cutback lanes.

Essentially he's still a rookie on the field. A rookie coming back from a serious knee injury. It'll be a process getting back.

That sucks. A lot of posters here figured he'd come in and take charge pretty quick.

How did Ford lock up a roster spot tonight because he had 2 catches against 5th string players?

His 2 catches were back to back, one being a touchdown, the other being a 2 pt conversion end zone fade to take the lead under 2 minutes left to play.

Look past the box score.

Only 1 injury, could have been a lot worse

I will wait for the Saturday DVR replay.

But that is really the biggest takeaway. Especially for PS1 game that showcases TC battles but unanswered questions on depth.

Game #3 is the game that gives us a true guesstimation of 2018.

His 2 catches were back to back, one being a touchdown, the other being a 2 pt conversion end zone fade to take the lead under 2 minutes left to play.

Look past the box score.

I watched the game, I was more impressed with Owusu tbh

I can’t overcome the eery similarities to seasons past. Defense dominates in practice but disappears in a game. Offense shoots themselves in the foot to stall drives. We’ve just seen this too many times not to be a little concerned.
That's really the bottom line. I hope it will change but if the past is any indication of the future, it won't.

Howard had a really bad game. Is he really good in camp cause he covers parker?
Our dbs, i fear, are way worste than what we think

Carroo doesn t even have a receiving yard? I think his time i mia is over

Caroo just isn't getting any separation. I think he'll be shown the door. You have to cut bait at some point. We spent a lot of draft capital to get him but it looks like a whiff. We have too many quality receivers to keep hanging on to a guy that can't get open.

I could only listen on the radio. The announcers could not keep the disappointment from their voices with the first defensive series.
They loved Ballage, until he fumbled.

Felt like I was watching much of the same ol same ol. Defense didnt look any different than last year. Couldn't get pressure. Couldn't stop the run. And a subpar passing attack throwing the ball up and down the field. People will say well we dont game plan and we have a very vanilla scheme and this and that but so do other teams including the Bucs. In my opinion I feel like we have the talent so it has to be 1 thing.... coaching. I'm not a fan of Burke. Too inexperienced and just doesn't seem to get the guys in the right position to make plays. I hate to say this but I'd like to see Rob Ryan out there coaching instead of spectating

Baker was good he needs 1st team reps. Minkah was good. Vincent Taylor might need 1st team reps soon

That's really the bottom line. I hope it will change but if the past is any indication of the future, it won't.
Really, I don't know what you guys were watching but I saw a completely different team than what I've been seeing during the preseason the past five years. I think you guys are just stuck in the negative

Really, I don't know what you guys were watching but I saw a completely different team than what I've been seeing during the preseason the past five years. I think you guys are just stuck in the negative
First offensive drive: penalty, missed field goal.
First defensive drive: penalty, allowed a TD.

The team might "look" different but the results so far are not. I don't care if the team can move the ball up and down the field, they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot. The talent across the NFL is pretty levelled. It's the little things that make the difference, like a missed field goal, a missed tackle, a penalty. All this does not happen on every play but it's here and there and then it's too much to overcome. The Patriots have been a powerhouse, not because they have some extraordinary brainpower outsmarting everybode else along the way but because they don't make stupid mistakes. And that's how you win ball games.

It's a forum theme.

How did Ford lock up a roster spot tonight because he had 2 catches against 5th string players?

Ford runs some of the cleanest routes on the team. I don’t think his ability to seperate will be an issue against better players. A guy who can’t seperate is Caroo. I think he is done.

Honestly, I think if he stays healthy, Ford ends up playing a lot this season.Stills/Amendola/Wilson/Parker/Grant and Ford are probably our 6. That is my guess.The chances of Amendola/Parker and Stills staying healthy all season are about 0 and I think Ford ends up climbing over Grant on the depth chart as well.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s how it plays out. I guess we shall see.

I agree, but our 1st team defense looked godawful. We have to remember that the Bucs have ZERO OL right now and our Dline still could not penetrate. The one positive thing I know is that rating a Dline in preseason can be tough because I don’t know many Dlinemen that go all out in meaningless games, but it still was a bit off a red flag.

Watching the Bucs peel off 17 yard completions that easily was a bit worryisome, but I am hoping it is due to starters not going full bore.

I agree that our offense was a lot different, and looked better. Yes, we did not score the first drive, but we did get a bad holding call and recovered from it to get a FG chance. I also think we have far more weapons at WR than before. Geisiki also looks like a complete monster in the red zone. That ball he almost got was basically impossible for any human to catch and he still got a hand on it.

We have 6 WRs that can compete as well. Plus our starting RBs look legit and we are ok at backup.

Final thing is that our Oline blocked a lot better than prior years.

Last year our offense was so bad that it was nice to see the guys come out moving the chains and playing fast. In the past, just getting a first down was a miracle in itself. This team looks like a lot crisper, considering it is preseason game 1 in early August.

Back
Top Bottom