Grading Every 1st-Round Rookie in the NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading Every 1st-Round Rookie in the NFL

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
This was the most recent article I could find grading the 2020 1st Round rookies so far.

5. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Miami Dolphins

1. We are still eagerly awaiting the NFL debut of Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. But as long as the Ryan Fitzpatrick show is in full effect, it might be a while before we finally get to see the rookie QB.
    Although he suffered a season-ending hip injury in his final season at Alabama, the Dolphins took a chance on Tagovailoa with the No. 5 overall pick. While signs suggest that Tagovailoa is getting healthy enough to play, Fitzpatrick is making it hard for the coaching staff to switch QBs right now.
    After a three-interception game in the loss to New England in Week 1, Fitzpatrick has played at a high level over the past two weeks. He's completed 73.1 percent of his passes during that span for 488 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions.
    The Dolphins shouldn't rush Tagovalia out there, and as long as Fitzpatrick is slinging it, fans likely won't be yelling too loudly for the rookie to take over.
    Grade: N/A

18. Austin Jackson, OT, Miami Dolphins​

1. The Dolphins may still be waiting to roll out No. 5 overall pick Tua Tagovailoa, but they've had no problem starting fellow first-round pick Austin Jackson out at left tackle.
    Jackson was considered a project of a pick, as his final year of college tape was inconsistent while he recovered from donating bone marrow to his sister. However, both coaches and teammates praised Jackson during training camp as he secured his spot as the team's starting left tackle.
    Jackson has shown flashes of his long-term upside during Miami's first three games, but he has also given up some pressure, particularly in Week 2 against the Buffalo Bills. He fared much better during last week's Thursday Night Football matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars, which should help with public perception since it came on the national stage.
    Jackson won't reach his ceiling overnight, but for a rookie protecting his quarterback's blind side, the former USC Trojans lineman deserves credit for how he's played so far.
    Grade: C+

Keep in mind this is only as recent as Week 4 or so. I like how Austin Jackson is a C+ and Andrew Thomas is a B- I'd probably have that switched but it's bleacher report so yeah

More Here

Did they leave out Noah? Not sure I want to see his grade. Noah will do better as the season goes on and learn from his early failures.

Did they leave out Noah? Not sure I want to see his grade. Noah will do better as the season goes on and learn from his early failures.
Hopefully the early play has helped him. Create some humbleness. He may not have needed it. He would not have played except for injury. No judging yet.

Hate to sound like an excuse-driven guy, but there should be two grades for some positions - CB being one. There should be a grade for coverage/tackling and one for blown assignments. I'm not arguing NI had great coverage, but I suspect part of that D+ iis blown assignments. Correctable

Any source that grades Thomas higher than Jackson is trash.

Thomas was the first tackle taken. Picked before Tua and Herbert. And he's playing worse than the 18th pick.

he is and he doesn’t have Jackson’s ceiling either. Which is why I love that we swung for the fences.

but I will just caution folks that we haven’t faced that kind of edge level talent either.

Andrew Thomas name was thrown out a lot around here at the draft including grabbing him at 5 if Tua is gone........:confused:

Back
Top Bottom