Grading last years draft.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading last years draft....

paulomac77

Hoosier Fin Fan
Reaction score
Looking back at last years draft what would u grade Sabans last draft...

Round 1 Jason Allen
Round 3 Derek Hagan
Round 4 Joe Toledo
Round 7 Fred Evans
Round 7 Rodrique Wright
Round 7 Devin Aromashodu

This might have been the worst draft in the NFL last year, Toledo was injured but Hagan and Allen were the only ones that showed some promise. Fred Evans could work his way onto the field over the years

even so, a lot of teams made themselves better through the draft last year
Grade: Incomplete

Allen showed promise ? your kidding right...this guy was getting beat out by Hill who stunk and then go ran over by Manning in the last game of the season and then a few days before that game has the nerve to say he is still learning the playbook..hagans is nice wr but we should of drafted Holmes instead and the rest r a bunch of bums...Maybe Evans might help but the grade is a F

your answer is ignorance enough for us all..did u rip down your saban posters and saban dolls yet...i bet u say to other people "in saban i trust "

Allen showed promise ? your kidding right...this guy was getting beat out by Hill who stunk and then go ran over by Manning in the last game of the season and then a few days before that game has the nerve to say he is still learning the playbook..hagans is nice wr but we should of drafted Holmes instead and the rest r a bunch of bums...Maybe Evans might help but the grade is a F

How the heck could we have drafted Holmes instead of Hagan? Hagan was taken in the third round and Holmes in the first.

Too early to grade last year's draft

It's way too early to grade last year's draft class. We only had 3 picks in the first 6 rounds.Hagan and Allen showed potential although you'd like more production from a 1st round pick.Allen may do better under the next coach's system as saban's system was supposedly difficult to learn.Of the final 3 picks(all 7th rounders) Aromashodu was cut,Wright had surgery and neither him or Evans ever had much chance to crack the D-line rotation as it's the strength of the team.The fact that 2 of 3 7th round picks are still on the roster is kinda impressive by itself.Evans and the 2 Wrights may be the future of the D-line for years.In which case Saban may be vindicated for this years draft class.

How the heck could we have drafted Holmes instead of Hagan? Hagan was taken in the third round and Holmes in the first.
Because appearently you can get any player you want no matter the draft slot. :rolleyes:

Topics like these make this board impossible to take seriously.

I wish there was a seperate board for the level-headed and realistic Dolphin fans.

I don't generally reply to silly posts like this. Obviously you can't grade Saban's draft for another couple of years. However, based on potential I believe he had a pretty decent draft. R. Wright in the 7th could end up being the steal of the draft. Evans looks like he will turn into a decent role player (not bad for another 7th rounder). Hagen could be a good number 2 receiver but he needs to step up production. The jury is still out on Jason Allen. I think he will end up being a help to our secondary, but there are other players who were available at that slot I would have preferred. In two or three more years we can give Saban an actual draft grade- but if you're asking for one right now I would go with a B-.

Topics like these make this board impossible to take seriously.

I wish there was a seperate board for the level-headed and realistic Dolphin fans.

I agree. However, there is a seperate board- it's called the members lounge.

IMO i would give last years draft a C- or a D. He didn't contribute nearly as much as other first rounders and we probably could have gotten him later in the draft. We didn't have a 2nd round pick because we traded it for Dante who didn't see the field the whole year. Derek Hagan is contributing in a way i expected and the rest of the class didn't see the field.

Like a few have said, its incomplete. You just can't tell after one season. But if you were going to give them a grade based solely on this past season, then it wouldn't be good.

But we also have to wonder if Jason Allen deserves so much of a raw deal. I went to UT for the whole four years he was there and I liked him. He was versatile enough to play both safety and corner. When he played safety, he led the team in tackles.

And we now that Saban had a hard time putting in the younger guys. It took him half the season to find out that Bell was a better option at safety. It took him 4 games to realize that Culpepper wasn't ready to play. And he only used Roth sparingly, even though he looked pretty good whenever he got a shot. So I definitely think its too early to declare Allen a bust. I just hope the next coach doesn't pull a Saban and starts Allen from the beginning.

Quick note about Hagan. When he got in, he did fairly well. He got open a decent amount of the time and made some catches. But he had his fair shair of drops, like all of our Wrs. I think he can be a solid number 2 if he can hang on to more balls.

What an uninformed post. Rodrique Wright was considered a possible 1st rd talent had he come out after his Jr yr. He fell in the draft due to an undislosed shoulder injury. He may turn out to be a pretty good player. Same with Toledo.
Allen and Hagan are still developing. Giving this draft a grade of F is plain silly and suggests that you haven't followed NFL football very long. At worst the draft is Inc. due to injuries.

IMO i would give last years draft a C- or a D. He didn't contribute nearly as much as other first rounders and we probably could have gotten him later in the draft. We didn't have a 2nd round pick because we traded it for Dante who didn't see the field the whole year. Derek Hagan is contributing in a way i expected and the rest of the class didn't see the field.

Some teams play their 1st rounders because they have no other option. It also depends on the HC. Saban didn't appear to give a lot of playing time to rookies.

Back
Top Bottom