Grading last year's draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading last year's draft

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
I was doing a bit of reading on last year's draft picks when I came across a couple of those instant draft analysis articles from last year... and they got me chuckling a bit about just how wrong most of the analysis was.

The grades were from CBS's Chris Trapasso, and SI's Jenna West/Danny Benoit

1. Tua Tagovailoa: B, B (seems fair, neither analyst went overboard and assigned the pick a 'wait and see' kind of grade... so far so good.

1b. Austin Jackson: C-, B+ (Trapasso obviously hated the pick, West liked it a lot. A wide disparity of opinion here. Kind of like here on FH)

1c. Noah Igbinoghene: A+, C+ (Again... a wide opinion gap. SI didn't hate the pick... exactly, but called it a project.)

2. Robert Hunt: B-, C+ (this one they agreed upon. Benoit saying that Hunt sure looked like a Guard, but that Miami was apt to play him at RT)

2a: Raekwon Davis: D+, C+ (All rookie team R. Davis says hello. They both missed, badly on this one)

3. Brandon Jones: D+, B- (Benoit liked him, but thought he'd play 'centerfield' for us, which isn't how we use him. Trapasso whiffs again)

4. Solomon Kindley: A (remaining grades are all CBS. Hated Kindley, loved Jones... this Trapasso fellow is odd)

5. Jason Strowbridge: C+ (about right... late round stab at a run-stopping DE/DT)

5a. Curtis Weaver: A+ (LOL... oh Trapasso... how'd you'd like to have this one back.)

6. Blake Ferguson: F (evidently Trapasso doesn't like long-snappers)

7. Malcolm Perry: C+ (made less impact than Blake Ferguson... soooo....)

More than anything else, this reinforced my thinking that instant analysis... is well... unwise.

I was doing a bit of reading on last year's draft picks when I came across a couple of those instant draft analysis articles from last year... and they got me chuckling a bit about just how wrong most of the analysis was.

The grades were from CBS's Chris Trapasso, and SI's Jenna West/Danny Benoit

1. Tua Tagovailoa: B, B (seems fair, neither analyst went overboard and assigned the pick a 'wait and see' kind of grade... so far so good.

1b. Austin Jackson: C-, B+ (Trapasso obviously hated the pick, West liked it a lot. A wide disparity of opinion here. Kind of like here on FH)

1c. Noah Igbinoghene: A+, C+ (Again... a wide opinion gap. SI didn't hate the pick... exactly, but called it a project.)

2. Robert Hunt: B-, C+ (this one they agreed upon. Benoit saying that Hunt sure looked like a Guard, but that Miami was apt to play him at RT)

2a: Raekwon Davis: D+, C+ (All rookie team R. Davis says hello. They both missed, badly on this one)

3. Brandon Jones: D+, B- (Benoit liked him, but thought he'd play 'centerfield' for us, which isn't how we use him. Trapasso whiffs again)

4. Solomon Kindley: A (remaining grades are all CBS. Hated Kindley, loved Jones... this Trapasso fellow is odd)

5. Jason Strowbridge: C+ (about right... late round stab at a run-stopping DE/DT)

5a. Curtis Weaver: A+ (LOL... oh Trapasso... how'd you'd like to have this one back.)

6. Blake Ferguson: F (evidently Trapasso doesn't like long-snappers)

7. Malcolm Perry: C+ (made less impact than Blake Ferguson... soooo....)

More than anything else, this reinforced my thinking that instant analysis... is well... unwise.
I'd sure like some instant analysis A++ with our top 4 picks!

Beyond that I'm OK if they only get better.

But I'm lookin' for some IMPACT out of the gate!

Not sure what this proves. Most likely our current analysis will be every bit as wrong, some players in one direction some in the other direction.

The Young offensive linemen played well up until the midway point of the season, then faulted. Some of the drop off was due to nagging injuries but over all, you can see the potential in these kids.

Iggy was the quintessential project, who had his moments then got benched in favor of an ever improving Needham. Hopefully with a full offseason he can start improving.

Raekwon Davis surprised me. I didn't think he would play any significant role. I thought he was a wasted pick. But Flores somehow got him to play more consistently, when no one else could. The fear is, Davis falls back into old habits and regresses. For a rookie he played better than expected.

The Young offensive linemen played well up until the midway point of the season, then faulted. Some of the drop off was due to nagging injuries but over all, you can see the potential in these kids.

Iggy was the quintessential project, who had his moments then got benched in favor of an ever improving Needham. Hopefully with a full offseason he can start improving.

Raekwon Davis surprised me. I didn't think he would play any significant role. I thought he was a wasted pick. But Flores somehow got him to play more consistently, when no one else could. The fear is, Davis falls back into old habits and regresses. For a rookie he played better than expected.
Right now I'm pretending EVERY rookie that played last season is going to be notably better!

Perhaps there's a chance I'll be disappointed ( :oops: ) but that's my take at this point.

If it is indeed correct that we've turned the corner on player development -- and that's baked into the cake

the "team" will be notably better just through development. The super young roster also adds some hope

in that direction. That said ---- I'm greedy this year and want those top 4 picks to come in and make a notable

IMPACT right away! I think with the talent in the draft coupled with our slots makes that achievable. It's certainly a worthy goal!

Grading drafts that early is silly but the fans clamor for it so what are you gonna do?

I think the only way to grade a draft that soon is by judging how well a team used it's resources and if they got value with their selections.

Even then that is subjective based on the rankings of the players and opinions on team needs and how the will be used etc....it is a fool's errand to be sure.

You have to wait 3 years or so to see how players develop and of course to be able to second guess when some guys turn out to be way better than expected.

I hated the Reakwon pick and was really wrong on that one.

I liked Weaver as a prospect, but thought he was a poor fit for Miami. Fans and media keep thinking Miami wants/needs a designated pass rusher, but the team simply doesn't use those guys like they have in the past.

Yeah... I just posted this just for a laugh... instant analysis is beyond silly... it takes a couple of years before you figure out what you have.

I think that Davis was finally used properly... and that's why he was more successful than he was in college.

...and as a whole, this rookie class looks like it can be very good, but they have to develop, they have to trust the coaching staff, and they have to keep working.

Yeah... I just posted this just for a laugh... instant analysis is beyond silly... it takes a couple of years before you figure out what you have.
No sh it..they do it for entertainment purposes..like way too early Top 25s in college 9 months before the season or mock drafts in general!

I took a few years off draft analysis and didn't look at prospects before last year's draft. But after we picked i went and took a look at who we snagged.

I was wrong on Hunt. He's turned out a better tackle than I thought. I thought Jones might have made faster progress than he did (tho there was no preseason). But I got Jackson right. His college tape was full of reps where he just conceded ground in pass pro unnecessarily. He wasn't any different for Miami. He looks like a kid that doesn't trust his strength/technique and gets on his kickslide bike way sooner than he needs to. Time is on his side, but I'm not a huge fan and I think his struggles were foreseeable.

I took a few years off draft analysis and didn't look at prospects before last year's draft. But after we picked i went and took a look at who we snagged.

I was wrong on Hunt. He's turned out a better tackle than I thought. I thought Jones might have made faster progress than he did (tho there was no preseason). But I got Jackson right. His college tape was full of reps where he just conceded ground in pass pro unnecessarily. He wasn't any different for Miami. He looks like a kid that doesn't trust his strength/technique and gets on his kickslide bike way sooner than he needs to. Time is on his side, but I'm not a huge fan and I think his struggles were foreseeable.
A big issue with Jackson was, how much do you put on the lack of strength from the bone marrow transplant and lack of an offseason? I know they preferred Wirfs and tried to trade up for him. But failing that they went with a "tools" guy rather than a guy who had great film due to need. I'm still hopeful, but IMO we won't have any idea what we have at LT until after this season.

I hated the Reakwon pick and was really wrong on that one.

I liked Weaver as a prospect, but thought he was a poor fit for Miami. Fans and media keep thinking Miami wants/needs a designated pass rusher, but the team simply doesn't use those guys like they have in the past.
I did not love the Davis pick, and I must admit that Flores reaction helped sell it to me.

I really wanted to go Jeremy Chinn at that spot and try for a DT with the pick they used on Jones. Hell, Davis might have still been there and the fact that they took a S there tells me they probably though about Chinn at 2b.

But I was not against Davis as such I just really wanted Chinn. Would he have been the fit in Miami that he was in Carolina? :shrug:

A big issue with Jackson was, how much do you put on the lack of strength from the bone marrow transplant and lack of an offseason? I know they preferred Wirfs and tried to trade up for him. But failing that they went with a "tools" guy rather than a guy who had great film due to need. I'm still hopeful, but IMO we won't have any idea what we have at LT until after this season.
That is how i feel about Jackson too.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the things that were stacked against him coming on to his rookie year.

But make no mistake, year two is big for him. Miami needs him to be the guy at LT or they will have to use some assets to find the guy that i would rather use elsewhere.

That is another reason i am high on OT in this Draft. Not only would i prefer to slide Hunt to RG but a quality OT could also be insurance for Jackson not working out.

Back
Top Bottom