Grading Prospects | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading Prospects

IHearJimi

Representing the 515
Reaction score
This was exactly what we needed! The scouting dept. needed a wake up call. Look at our past drafts. We haven't built a future with our picks. Way to go Saban!!!!:up: :rawk:

Saban alters grading system (Sun Sentinel)

First-year coach Nick Saban said Thursday that he has changed the system used by the Dolphins to grade potential draft picks and that Scott O'Brien has a role in evaluating prospects. Saban and O'Brien, who was hired as the Dolphins' coordinator of football operations in January, are familiar with the system used by Cleveland in the early 1990s when both were Browns assistants under current New England coach Bill Belichick.

"He'll have input initially because he was the only guy in this building who understood the system," Saban said. "We had to gather information so we could present the system to everybody else in the organization so they would have an understanding of it. He was very helpful to me in doing that.

Rick Spielman remains the Dolphins' general manager, but Saban now has final say on all football decisions. It's thought that O'Brien also had a significant say in the Dolphins' free-agent meetings.

Saban said he tried to hire Chris Polian away from Indianapolis' personnel department earlier this offseason because the Colts use a similar grading system to what the Browns had. A source said Polian decided to stay with Indianapolis because the Dolphins' offer wasn't enough of a promotion from his current position with the Colts.

Saban offered an analogy to explain why he changed the Dolphins' previous grading system.

"We're using the same system here that we used [in Cleveland] in terms of evaluation and all that stuff," he said. "That's important. It makes it easier for everybody because you define what you want.

"If y'all went to my cottage right now in North Carolina, we've got no mustard and 15 bottles of ketchup in the pantry because every time my wife goes to the store, she picks up a bottle because she doesn't take a list. She doesn't know what she wants. She just goes to the store and buys stuff. So we end up with lots of ketchup, no mustard and sometimes no mayonnaise, so everybody has got to eat ketchup."

"If y'all went to my cottage right now in North Carolina, we've got no mustard and 15 bottles of ketchup in the pantry because every time my wife goes to the store, she picks up a bottle because she doesn't take a list. She doesn't know what she wants. She just goes to the store and buys stuff. So we end up with lots of ketchup, no mustard and sometimes no mayonnaise, so everybody has got to eat ketchup."

leave it to saban to come up with an anology like that. :lol: he had another one earlier this offseason during the combine but i cant remeber what it was.

dlphns8405 said:
leave it to saban to come up with an anology like that. :lol: he had another one earlier this offseason during the combine but i cant remeber what it was.

Was it the 'pick out the Nobel prize winner from a room of scholars' when he was asked who he would draft, before he had a chance to evaluate the players in the draft?

Celtkin said:
Was it the 'pick out the Nobel prize winner from a room of scholars' when he was asked who he would draft, before he had a chance to evaluate the players in the draft?

That single quote "got my mind right" the guy just makes sense.

thedayafter said:
That single quote "got my mind right" the guy just makes sense.

Saban doesn't say much but when he does, it's something he's thought about before he opens his mouth. He has a way to making things seem simple. I loved his reference at the meet and greet for season ticket holders when he reminded the fans that 'this isn't fantasy football'

This is a significant change. Obviously, the Dolphins will go into the draft knowing exactly what they want and certain players will get a higher grade for exactly that reason.

One thing for sure, this team needs more mustard and a little mayonnaise.

So...the question is this...what does Saban mean by Ketchup and who (or what position) fits the mustard category?

brilliant!

What was it he said in an interview about his wife leaving him? I can't recall but I laughed out loud when I heard it. It might have been at the combine.

IHearJimi said:
This was exactly what we needed! The scouting dept. needed a wake up call. Look at our past drafts. We haven't built a future with our picks. Way to go Saban!!!!:up: :rawk:

Saban alters grading system (Sun Sentinel)

First-year coach Nick Saban said Thursday that he has changed the system used by the Dolphins to grade potential draft picks and that Scott O'Brien has a role in evaluating prospects. Saban and O'Brien, who was hired as the Dolphins' coordinator of football operations in January, are familiar with the system used by Cleveland in the early 1990s when both were Browns assistants under current New England coach Bill Belichick.

"He'll have input initially because he was the only guy in this building who understood the system," Saban said. "We had to gather information so we could present the system to everybody else in the organization so they would have an understanding of it. He was very helpful to me in doing that.

Rick Spielman remains the Dolphins' general manager, but Saban now has final say on all football decisions. It's thought that O'Brien also had a significant say in the Dolphins' free-agent meetings.

Saban said he tried to hire Chris Polian away from Indianapolis' personnel department earlier this offseason because the Colts use a similar grading system to what the Browns had. A source said Polian decided to stay with Indianapolis because the Dolphins' offer wasn't enough of a promotion from his current position with the Colts.

Saban offered an analogy to explain why he changed the Dolphins' previous grading system.

"We're using the same system here that we used [in Cleveland] in terms of evaluation and all that stuff," he said. "That's important. It makes it easier for everybody because you define what you want.

Come on Saban! Bring us the mustard! I'm hungry.

Back
Top Bottom