Great Article On Tanny | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Article On Tanny

If his knee holds up he certainly has a chance to have a great career. I think Luck is on borrowed time, Wilson has some limitations, Foles might be the biggest legend of the group

Limitations, such as?

Wilson is a winner all day.
Sometimes statements are too outlandish to go unchecked.

Other than a career 65-30-1 record, 6 winning seasons out of 6 seasons, 15 4QC, 19 GWD, averaging 303 comp, 472 att, 64%, 3696 yards, 7.8 YPA, 27 TD, 9 int, 98 QB rating in addition to averaging of 96 rushes, 546 yards, 5.7 YPC, 2.7 TD per season what else do you have?

And because I know your kind you'll probably throw out the 8-4 playoff record, 4 4QC, 4 GWD, with 207 comp, 336 att,61.7 comp, 2777 yards, 8.3 YPA, 20 TD, 11 int, 94.1 QB rating, 60 rushes, 354 yards, 5.9 YPC, 2 TD, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and 1 Super Bowl victory.

But other than that, is that it?

Seriously, is that all you got to back up your statement?

rsw.0.gif

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4128778/rsw.0.gif

RWNO.gif

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/FilmRoom/RWNO.gif

FL9k.gif

https://i.gifer.com/FL9k.gif

These are sacks all day long on Ryan Tannehill. He has to be more prepared to deal with pressure. I've said it since he was coming out of aTm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we can get at leased 2 good yr out of 4 or 5 yr from thill17 before he hit that oldman wall in nfl..
like making playoff would be nice.

Last edited:
When there’s oline issues, you’re going to have sack issues. Even wonder Luck had 2 sacks on I think 4 series. But that doesn’t matter, right he should be able to overcome that and elevate everybody around him.

Sometimes statements are too outlandish to go unchecked.

Other than a career 65-30-1 record, 6 winning seasons out of 6 seasons, 15 4QC, 19 GWD, averaging 303 comp, 472 att, 64%, 3696 yards, 7.8 YPA, 27 TD, 9 int, 98 QB rating in addition to averaging of 96 rushes, 546 yards, 5.7 YPC, 2.7 TD per season what else do you have?

And because I know your kind you'll probably throw out the 8-4 playoff record, 4 4QC, 4 GWD, with 207 comp, 336 att,61.7 comp, 2777 yards, 8.3 YPA, 20 TD, 11 int, 94.1 QB rating, 60 rushes, 354 yards, 5.9 YPC, 2 TD, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and 1 Super Bowl victory.

But other than that, is that it?

Seriously, is that all you got to back up your statement?
Who are you calling out or debating with? Wilson is a good qb backed by what used to be a great D. He’s also got a lot of wear and tear on his body, and at his height and weight, I don’t expect his luck to hold out much longer.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4128778/rsw.0.gif

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/FilmRoom/RWNO.gif

https://i.gifer.com/FL9k.gif

These are sacks all day long on Ryan Tannehill. He has to be more prepared to deal with pressure. I've said it since he was coming out of aTm.

Come on, Slimm, that third clip is a sack all day long on 31 NFL starting quarterbacks and probably 32+ backups.

Russell Wilson is really good. He is not perfect, but he's really good and he was blessed to go to a team where he was able to grow and develop as a quarterback / football player instead of being ground into a fine red paste like Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill were. The fact that both Luck and Tannehill have had to suffer the Joe Philbin experience is something I would never in a million years wish upon the Russ Bus.

Great article.

And that analysis of Miami's receiving corps, Parker included, is spot on.

For the life of me I can't figure out the people who mysteriously think that Parker is a baller, and that he has demonstrated mutiple skill levels on the field. Parkers lowlights of non-caught catchable balls (and some that turn into INTs) seems to come at the most crucial turning points in games. He's made a few plays here and there, to his limited skill set (which on that narrow schema, is definitely good), but as a wholesale threat with ability to separate, accelerate in and out of cuts, and dominat e the red zone? No.

LD

Come on, Slimm, that third clip is a sack all day long on 31 NFL starting quarterbacks and probably 32+ backups.

Russell Wilson is really good. He is not perfect, but he's really good and he was blessed to go to a team where he was able to grow and develop as a quarterback / football player instead of being ground into a fine red paste like Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill were. The fact that both Luck and Tannehill have had to suffer the Joe Philbin experience is something I would never in a million years wish upon the Russ Bus.

I think maybe you missed the point. You have to understand what a quarterback who is prepared to deal with pressure looks like. And why.

Wilson understands that his back was releasing into a route, therefore anybody coming that was unaccounted for was his man...he was responsible for him. Thus, why he was prepared to deal with the pressure. You don't see that out of Tannehill.

Colin Cowherd is a complete idiot when it comes to college football, but he's usually dead on when it comes to the NFL. I've always agreed with his stance on Andrew Luck - He came into the league to a team with a bad owner, incompetent GM, bad coach, no offensive line, no pro bowlers, that was bad enough to have the #1 overall pick, and used it on him. He went 11-5, 11-5, and 11-5 with that. As you say, it's taken it's toll on him.

I use the eye test as well as stats and Russell is a big play machine essentially making chicken salad out of chickenshit on a regular basis. Tannehill need some of that moxie to be a well above-average quarterback in the NFL

Wilson has AMAZING short area quickness for a QB. Absolute best in the NFL.

But on a list of QBs who come in second, third, and fourth, etc., RT17 has to be high on that list. Just doesn't compare to the otherworldly escapability of Wilson.

But to be fair, comparing apples with apples, and ability to THROW the ball downfield and into tight windows, and READ a D, RT17 is far superior.

Wilson is lacking so badly in ability to read a D and throw into tight windows (relying on pre-snap and set plays and backyard breakdown scrambles) that he has become a meme. One whole Super Bowl loss directly on his quick shoulders, forever replying his college-style readability into eternity. One of the worst plays ever from a classic QB standpoint in Super Bowl history.

Oh, but he's simply GREAT at running the ball and escaping the pocket -- number 1 in the league at THAT. So let's use THAT as a standard to bash RT17.

C'mon man.

LD

Last edited:
I think maybe you missed the point. You have to understand what a quarterback who is prepared to deal with pressure looks like. And why.

Wilson understands that his back was releasing into a route, therefore anybody coming that was unaccounted for was his man...he was responsible for him. Thus, why he was prepared to deal with the pressure. You don't see that out of Tannehill.

Colin Cowherd is a complete idiot when it comes to college football, but he's usually dead on when it comes to the NFL. I've always agreed with his stance on Andrew Luck - He came into the league to a team with a bad owner, incompetent GM, bad coach, no offensive line, no pro bowlers, that was bad enough to have the #1 overall pick, and used it on him. He went 11-5, 11-5, and 11-5 with that. As you say, it's taken it's toll on him.

I think you're missing part of the point here:

Even with his supposed recognition of the pressure, take away Wilson's superior elusiveness and that's still a sack. All day.

Even at that, even with his elusiveness, if the Defensive player just comes up with a slightly better catch on his body or clothes, it's still a sack.

I don't think that first clip says all that much greatness on his ability to recognize pressure and deal with it. I think it says more that he's a GREAT backyard QB who has relied on a superior D and simply great overall team talent, and his innate ability to dominate short space on slower defenders.

LD
This play here encapsulates the vision/classic QB skills of Russell Wilson: set play, pet play, makes up his mind before snap to throw it there -- the designed play that takes weight of read off his shoulders... in a Super Bowl no less. Wilson is GREAT with his legs and forcing a D out of comfort zone, creating openings downfield by ability to buy time scrambling, etc. But take away his great D and surround sound talent and he's just a guy with superior short area quickness, good athletic instincts, and ability to turn scrum plays and set plays into some points. Most QBs get better at the technical parts the of the game the longer they play -- but QBs who splash onto the scene with RPO and great running skills usually have their best years early, while Ds aren't quite able to adjust and while their bodies hold up. Kap and Wilson had their best years together. No accident. And Wilson is way better than Kap, imo.

Last edited:
Good article. It's nice to be reminded of Ryan's 2016 season, there were a lot of downfield passes. My hope is that Gase lets this happen again this year. The belief is that the O-line will give Ryan more time this year. Add that to a dangerous Drake who will help out in the play action pass and the possibilities are nice to think about.
To me it boils down to time and play calling for success (Assuming the holding penalties get addressed).

I've said it here several times before. No quarterback can single handedly win week in and week out.

Brady, Rodgers and Brees might be able to put a team on their back and win a couple more games than the next tier of QBs, but none of them are consistently dragging their teams to wins single handedly. Especially against upper echelon teams. It just doesn't happen.

The myth of the elite QB lighting up team after team pretty much on his own is just that. A myth.

Like no other position in sport the QB's performance is so dependent on the coaches and players around him that its hard to say they ever "single handedly" carry a team to victory. How many games has Brady lit up the opposition because Belichick or someone on his staff has pinpointed a weakness they can repeatedly exploit? I think its impossible to judge whether a QB has the mental makeup required to excel while viewing from the vantage point most fans occupy.

Back
Top Bottom