Great article saying Gase conservative offense doesn't fit Parker's Elite skill set. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great article saying Gase conservative offense doesn't fit Parker's Elite skill set.

Jerrysanders

Active Roster
Reaction score
Even though advanced stats show Parker was elite when given the opportunity he still wasn't being used properly in Adam Gase's extremely conservative style offense. Parker was more productive on a per catch basis in Philbin's offense even though he made notable improvements to his game this year.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/5-afc-players-might-need-change-scenery/
I hesitate to say Parker needs a change of scenery and leave it at that. He has been a solid producer in Miami and will likely see another decent bump in his production if he stays. Ryan Tannehill showed flashes of improvement last year in Miami, but he’ll probably never be the quarterback to test tight windows consistently, especially in the vertical portions of the field, where Parker really thrives. The quarterback’s increased aggressiveness last year boded well for Parker’s production, but the connection was still inconsistent. Adam Gase’s offense was fairly flexible last season, but the Dolphins rely on the short-intermediate passing game more than anything, which requires quick separation and detailed route runners to be successful.

Parker has improved in this area, but his strengths are his abilities to make plays over the top of defenses and to dominate at the catch point, areas he has wowed in when given the chance at Miami. This offense may never be perfectly tailored to his best traits, and while Parker will still produce, a downfield scheme like Arizona, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis (I’d kill for this), or even Pittsburgh would be far more natural fits for what he offers. So while I think it would be foolish for Miami to jettison the third-year receiver (and obviously they won’t), I do think there are better landing spots out there for Parker to truly thrive in the NFL.

Gase's conservative offense? Better under Phibin? What?? Haven't Gase's offenses set records in the past? Didn't Tannehill have a career year, especially with the deep ball? Have I asked too many questions? Was that another question?

he’ll probably never be the quarterback to test tight windows consistently, especially in the vertical portions of the field,

Not sure how accurate that is. I've seen Tannehill throw underneath when something was available downfield but he is improving.

Fanrag, huh? Well, based on this guy, I guess we better just enjoy him for the next couple years then....

Lollllllll, this is as silly of an analysis as I have seen. Gase is tremendous at getting the best out of his players skill sets.

Parkers lack of production has a lot more to do with Parker than anyone else. Once he plays 16 healthy games come talk to me about it being someone else's fault.

"..when you blame things on other people, it takes the power out of your hands, and it puts it in their hands..." -Ricky Williams

Gase doesnt have a conservative offense. #2 big play offense in the entire NFL...

Our offense was ranked 24th in the NFL, our passing offense was ranked 26; Tannehill and Alex Smith had the highest screen percentage at 13.96% and 13.62% but Smith's yards per screen were 8.85 compared to Tannehill's 4.53 (landry screens were highly ineffective). Calling our offense conservative is understatement; Ajayi and Drake had more 40 yd runs than any other rb group in the NFL ; and Tannehill is near the bottom of the league in terms of air yardage meaning our receivers yac contributed to many of our big plays, which is the reason we ranked so highly in terms of big plays.

The Colts fan that wrote that article has no clue what he is talking about.

Our offense was ranked 24th in the NFL, our passing offense was ranked 26; Tannehill and Alex Smith had the highest screen percentage at 13.96% and 13.62% but Smith's yards per screen were 8.85 compared to Tannehill's 4.53 (landry screens were highly ineffective). Calling our offense conservative is understatement; Ajayi and Drake had more 40 yd runs than any other rb group in the NFL ; and Tannehill is near the bottom of the league in terms of air yardage meaning our receivers yac contributed to many of our big plays, which is the reason we ranked so highly in terms of big plays.

Where did you get the screen % numbers? Not saying they're wrong... I would just love to see how the other qb's ranked. It feels like Brady throws way more screens and dump offs than Tannehill. Seeing that we use some of those receiver screens as running plays, 4.5 yards per carry doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited:
Idk man just pop in a Parker and Stills highlight reel. They have both caught many bombs. Tannehill was also ranked a top 10 deep passer this past season. I think we are fine

I notice that ESPN has Tannehill with 90 passes thrown to targets behind the line of scrimmage and Brady throwing 77. It shows Tannehill averaged more yards on those passes than Brady did. It shows Tannehill averaged 5.2 yards on passes thrown behind the line if scrimmage which seemed inline with other qbs. They show Alex Smith with 115 passes and 5.5 yard average. Oh and that's Tannehill at 5.2 yards per attempt on passes behind the line of scrimmage not per completion on those passes. I'm curious how different the numbers for passes to targets behind the line of scrimmage is different from screens?

No offense throws the ball by design behind the los as in the primary more than the Kansas City chiefs offense

They rely on the backs as primary pass options on repeat. There's not a lot of 3rd and 4th progression wr concepts in that offense

Man it would be sad to scour the internet to find obscure articles to support an agenda. I have to wonder why someone follows a team so closely if they hate a key player that I'll be here for a long time. Seems more of a time consuming aggravation that could be filled with a less stressful and presumably more enjoyable hobby.

Back
Top Bottom