Great Article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Article

jbond

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6336796

"Take, for example, one of the roughest, toughest players on the Dolphins in Zach Thomas. There was a mix-up in practice one day and Saban, reverting to his college dictator ways, decided to pretty much question Thomas's manhood.

Are you kidding me? This guy has physically run through wall after blocking wall with injury upon injury and has never once been a malcontent, but the coach felt the need to belittle his Pro Bowl linebacker.

Well, as one could imagine, Saban was a few steps away from getting the snot kicked out of him. Hey, good coaching job, Nick. Way to alienate your team leader! Nice one. Thomas actually loved the defense they played in, but that didn't mean he wasn't willing to show the coach he was talking to the wrong guy"

-----

"Oh yeah, don't give me this crap about how he really wasn't interested and never heard from anyone, but Alabama persisted. That right there sounds like a big, fat lie, doesn't it? "

-----

I read that a few minutes ago. Good article. I'm sure Wayne Huizenga and his recruitment staff are well aware of this now. I personally think that Wayne is a lot smarter than people think. Wayne probably feels bad for bringing Saban to Miami in the first place and he's letting Nick and Terry make their exit without making too many waves. Taking the high road is the smart thing to do. People will remember it. New coaches coming in will certainly take notice ... and he knows that he needs to find the best guys out there to get the Dolphins back on track.

Like he said in the press conference, I think Wayne just wants to bring the winning tradition back to Miami. Pure and simple. Losing isn't much fun at all. I'm sure in 2004, Wayne thought that Saban was THE hot coach on the market. Someone on this board even had some quotes showing that Dan LeBetard wanted Wayne to hire Saban before he eventually did. That was interesting to hear. Wayne certainly wasn't the only one on the Saban bandwagon in the beginning. The local press apparently was. Hell, MOST people were. Probably 90%. Saban had just won the NCAA National Championship in 2003 afterall.

With this current Saban firestorm, he just got a lot wiser about how to be a good NFL owner in this league. He's got have a little Jerry Jones in him and also get some very experienced NFL guys around him to help him make these tough decisions. Hiring a new coach is obviously a little more involved than he anticipated. He needs to take into account things besides the details of the contract ... things like making sure the wife is onboard about everything and knows exactly what they're getting into, etc.

Back
Top Bottom