Great perspective from Eisen and Rapaport on why the MD might trade #6 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great perspective from Eisen and Rapaport on why the MD might trade #6

If Chase or Pitts is sitting there at 6th and they do trade down, they better pillage whatever team they pull the trigger with, giving up that type of playmaker for a move back won't be received well if Miami passes on potential all-pro.

Well if neither is available, then one of the top 4 QB's will be and we are a very possible trade candidate, right? Unless we are forced into picking Smith/Waddle to ensure we get a WR? I wonder what folks would need to move down to say, 15 or 20, in that scenario.

So if one of them is available, what do we need to move back? If it's a move to 15 or 20, is it that pick, a 2nd, and a 2022 1st? Is that enough, too much? And do we even entertain a trade that nets NE a QB at #6, for example?

We can bash Grier if he drafts more JAGs. A lot of starters in the NFL are JAGs, too. There's 32 teams. Every team has 22 guys 'starting' each weak. Not many of them make a profound difference between winning and losing.

We need difference-makers, not 'more picks' to stockpile JAGs.

Thats my point, Id be upset if we're skipping to guys that we ourselves identify as special talent - like Pitts in the above scenario - so I'd be upset if we knowingly just took the trade down and ignored it.

If Pitts, Chase, Smith, Waddle, Parsons are all still available....I hope to "God O Mighty" we make our pick (PITTS please) and then try to trade up from 18 to grab one of the other ones around 10-14.

Smith or Waddle may actually fall to 18.

I know the early conventional wisdom here at this board swore that neither would even fall out of the top 10, but it is looking ever-more likely that this COULD happen.

5 QBs, Pitts, Chase, Surtain, Horn, Parsons... maybe Slater... all should go before these two.

good video but as Eisen said, sooner or later you have to cash in on all these assets. Whether that be a player or targeting you guy and moving up. Great to have tons of picks, but if you aren't hitting on your picks or getting real talent , its irrelevant. FWIW, we should have used capital to move up for Whirfs last year.

Its so much fun to speculate, but only our GM and maybe the HC 'know' what they are trying to do and who they want to select. Many here want success faster than it is possible. They've always preached that they will build it the right way - that's with quality players through the draft and don't over spend in FA. So far so good. One week to go!!

There are many more than 2 good scenarios to trade down and we don’t have to move at all -

One being is if they are drafting D with the first pick because this is a top heavy draft at WR
Is there a D guy worthy of 6?

Well if neither is available, then one of the top 4 QB's will be and we are a very possible trade candidate, right? Unless we are forced into picking Smith/Waddle to ensure we get a WR? I wonder what folks would need to move down to say, 15 or 20, in that scenario.

So if one of them is available, what do we need to move back? If it's a move to 15 or 20, is it that pick, a 2nd, and a 2022 1st? Is that enough, too much? And do we even entertain a trade that nets NE a QB at #6, for example?
Can you trade in the draft is all about what you get back. Call back to 19 or 20 I want a lot. To trade with New England I even want more

I don't think a consolidation prize or prizes that consist of a combo of Bateman, Elijah Moore, Marshall, Williams, Najee Harris and others is worse than one of Chase, Waddle, Smith and Pitts. Miami has won 15 games, over the last 2 seasons, with the roster as is. And they've added Fuller. If Pitts or Chase are Miami's main targets and they are there, of course I'd expect them to draft one of them. But if they traded down and came out with 2-3 exciting players, why would you complain? If Pitts or Chase were gone by #6?

Last edited:
I agree with both takes on Miami's position on a potential trade out. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the potential to use all the future draft capital in a trade up to secure a player they really like. In that case, having more picks in 2022 and 2023, can help facilitate that option, in those particular draft years. Having additional 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 on top of what Miami has already, would put the franchise in a position no NFL team has been fortunate to be in.

Miami already controls their own destiny, but by securing additional future draft picks, by trading out of #6 could put the franchise in position to sustain even longer term success. Then what's already expected in Miami.
If you add that there are more than two or three guys that Miami likes in the 6 pick, is very possible that even trading out, Miami could get the player that we want, plus more capital, which it seems brilliant; aside from the fact that we hit the right player, just talking about the trade.

Trade down to 9 the D player will likely be there i would take Parsons there or the WR and then move back up to get Parsons or try for Collins at 18

Parsons goes to NE we will regret it

I’m beginning to feel that this is 1-either a massive Grier smoke screen if or 2-a legit option if a QB drops. Be prepared for a wild night. Players traded, moving up, moving down. Fun time to be a MD fan
There are only two unquestioned, elite D top 10 talents—Parsons and Surtain and I think they can be had a little later.

Back
Top Bottom