Great WR's do not win Super Bowls | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great WR's do not win Super Bowls

perfect example of what I have discussed before. Do you need talent at the WR and TE spots? Yes. Do you have to get them in the top 5 picks - no. History bears this out repeatedly. Look at your list above and how many of them were 3rd and 4th rounders or mid first round picks. Trade back to 6-8 and take Pitts who is a monster and matchup problem and garner an extra first or second rounder.

I like this line of thinking. I'm in line with that stance, but what if Smith is Calvin Johnson sitting at 3 in disguise? Makes me pause.

perfect example of what I have discussed before. Do you need talent at the WR and TE spots? Yes. Do you have to get them in the top 5 picks - no. History bears this out repeatedly. Look at your list above and how many of them were 3rd and 4th rounders or mid first round picks. Trade back to 6-8 and take Pitts who is a monster and matchup problem and garner an extra first or second rounder.

Opinions like this don't make sense to me because this applies to ALL positions not just WR's. An elite QB is going to win a SB this year and none of them are top 5 picks.

Let's face it, it's hard to win a Super Bowl. Hell, most players never see one win or lose. Great players are a good thing. But, great teams are more than simply a composition of great players. It's not Marino's fault that we drafted Jackie Shipp ... and he wasn't any good. It's not Marino's fault that we never built a great defense when he was around. It's not Marino's fault that we destroyed the Chicago Bears in 1985 and they went on to dominate everyone else and win a Super Bowl with ease ... we didn't win the division, the Patriots did, and the Patriots were no match for the Bears who we humiliated. Sure, Marino was a great player, but if he can go through such a successful career and not win a Super Bowl ... then it's not really a surprise that any single position hasn't won many Super Bowls either.

At the end of the day, the WR is important, but historically, the RB has been more important, and of course the QB is more important. A good WR day is 9 plays ... just 9. It's not easy to dominate games with that few moments.
Agree completely....except I think the 9 plays oversimplifies the value of a great receiver. Romo gave a bunch of examples of what Hill does to a defense even when he's not getting the ball. It's frustrating watching one guy doing the same thing several times a game that just destroys what the defense wants to do when Hill ran those deep routes across the field over and over. It forces reactions from 3 or 4 guys on every play opening things up for the run game, other receivers, Kelce, etc. I know it's easy to pick Hill since he's a top 3-4 WR but certainly there are several WR's that force accountability from defense that go well beyond just forcing routine doubles or shading over the top.

Even our best receiver in Parker does not pose that type of threat and that's not to cut on him. He's a plus WR when healthy but just not the threat that a Hill, Diggs, Hopkins, Adams, Metcalf, etc. Now they don't all threaten the deep 3rd like Hill (who does), but they do require a defense game plan to slow them down. We need a 2-3 more threats and at least attempt to get one Alpha dog that can win on a 3rd and long when everyone knows the play will go his way.

I did this for drafting strategy purposes, because Smith at 3 seems a bit high without freakish measurables.

And after he's drafted, he's going to unzip his skin and step out 5" taller and 70 lbs heavier?

If we can agree that route running, the ability to get separation, and good hands are the most important traits of a receiver, then we can see their similarities instead of just physical measurables.

Yeah, I'm not arguing taking WR Top 5. You really don't want to draft anyone but a QB Top 5 - assuming there are people willing to trade up with you. If no one is willing, and there are no QB's you love, WR and OT are the next best options. For the #3 pick, I think Miami will receive enough to convince them to move down. Philadelphia and Carolina stand out as potential trade partners.

Agree completely....except I think the 9 plays oversimplifies the value of a great receiver. Romo gave a bunch of examples of what Hill does to a defense even when he's not getting the ball. It's frustrating watching one guy doing the same thing several times a game that just destroys what the defense wants to do when Hill ran those deep routes across the field over and over. It forces reactions from 3 or 4 guys on every play opening things up for the run game, other receivers, Kelce, etc. I know it's easy to pick Hill since he's a top 3-4 WR but certainly there are several WR's that force accountability from defense that go well beyond just forcing routine doubles or shading over the top.

Even our best receiver in Parker does not pose that type of threat and that's not to cut on him. He's a plus WR when healthy but just not the threat that a Hill, Diggs, Hopkins, Adams, Metcalf, etc. Now they don't all threaten the deep 3rd like Hill (who does), but they do require a defense game plan to slow them down. We need a 2-3 more threats and at least attempt to get one Alpha dog that can win on a 3rd and long when everyone knows the play will go his way.
It's called gravity and we don't have it with anybody on our roster. Nobody is holding two deep safeties against us or shading bracket coverage consistently because nobody on our offense scares a defense. It's why everything just looks so compact and difficult.

It's why I want both Smith and Waddle because it would immediately put fear into all three levels of a defense.

I dunno, you look how clean Buffalo's line keeps Josh Allen and you wonder.

I did this for drafting strategy purposes, because Smith at 3 seems a bit high without freakish measurables.
I consider these to be freakish measurables, especially when I consider being a significant factor in winning 2 National Championships.

DeVonta_Smith.png

Then I guess you'd consider Jay Ajayi a superior player because he had more yards and far more TD'S than Smith...
Besides him being a RB, have you ever followed the Mountain West defenses?

I also recall Ajayi helping Miami get to the playoffs in 2016. That has been far rarer than New England winning the Super Bowl the past two decades.

Last edited:
Let's face it, it's hard to win a Super Bowl. Hell, most players never see one win or lose. Great players are a good thing. But, great teams are more than simply a composition of great players. It's not Marino's fault that we drafted Jackie Shipp ... and he wasn't any good. It's not Marino's fault that we never built a great defense when he was around. It's not Marino's fault that we destroyed the Chicago Bears in 1985 and they went on to dominate everyone else and win a Super Bowl with ease ... we didn't win the division, the Patriots did, and the Patriots were no match for the Bears who we humiliated. Sure, Marino was a great player, but if he can go through such a successful career and not win a Super Bowl ... then it's not really a surprise that any single position hasn't won many Super Bowls either.

At the end of the day, the WR is important, but historically, the RB has been more important, and of course the QB is more important. A good WR day is 9 plays ... just 9. It's not easy to dominate games with that few moments.
The Dolphins won the AFC east in that year, the Patriots beat the Dolphins in the AFC championship game at the Orange Bowl.

Opinions like this don't make sense to me because this applies to ALL positions not just WR's. An elite QB is going to win a SB this year and none of them are top 5 picks.
i can see where you are coming from, but Brady is an outlier so take him off the board. Never has a 6th rounder done what he has done. Allen, Mahomes, and Rodgers were all considered top of the draft QBs with Rodgers falling on draft day. Historically having a top QB is the number one thing for past SB champs, and typically these are taken in the first round. Guys like Peyton, Elway, Aikman were taken early early where QB’s like Marino, Brees, Rodgers... went middle to late first to early second.

Important thing as noted above is to get a TOP level QB at all costs. Teams that don’t do this suffer long term. If you don’t have this all the linemen and receivers in the world won’t matter. Outside of the QB you need players that can protect your QB, can protect your QB, who your QB can throw to and who can lockdown a receiver. Where you get them in the draft matters because it determines what else you can get. Love everything about Smith at WR (wish he was a hair bigger), and only question is whether he is good enough to take at 3 versus trading down a few spots and getting Chase/Waddle or even Smith if he is still there and adding another 2nd which can be used to pair with pick 18 to move up to the top 10-12 to grab another impact player. Imagine trading down from 3 to 6 and still grabbing Smith or Pitts from Florida and then grab Chase/Parsons/Smith/Pitts with the second pick. That IMO would help us out the most long term.

Back
Top Bottom