Great WR's do not win Super Bowls | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great WR's do not win Super Bowls

Been saying it for years.

Playing QB has gotten too easy.

Until last season with Tyreek Hill, it’s not an impressive list of WRs who won rings in the previous decade.

They don’t impact the playoffs that much. Some fans are offended when you say that. Oh well. My stance on the subject is well documented. However even I can see the value in Devonta Smith. Not drafting him over Sewell though.

QBs are rarely as close with their WRs as they are their lineman. There’s a reason.

Great WRs don't win championships...neither do a bunch of promoted practice squad trash...Packers got Adams, Bucs got Evans and Godwin, Bills got Diggs, Chiefs have Hill...times are a changing my friend.

We gotta get a a crafty WR that's a route running master that can get separation at ease...we got enough 50/50 possession in WRs and Gesicki. Smitty or Waddle would be perfect. Chase is tempting but I feel he doesn't get as much separation as the other 2, but I'm also the least familiar with him.

DvP being covered by teams CB2 would make a huge difference.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ted Ginn and his family!

dont draft skinny WR W 3 overall.

trade down. Get guys later.

plus this year draft processes are not normal! Evaluation has been limited.

draft a defensive stud or trade out

i can see where you are coming from, but Brady is an outlier so take him off the board. Never has a 6th rounder done what he has done. Allen, Mahomes, and Rodgers were all considered top of the draft QBs with Rodgers falling on draft day. Historically having a top QB is the number one thing for past SB champs, and typically these are taken in the first round. Guys like Peyton, Elway, Aikman were taken early early where QB’s like Marino, Brees, Rodgers... went middle to late first to early second.

Important thing as noted above is to get a TOP level QB at all costs. Teams that don’t do this suffer long term. If you don’t have this all the linemen and receivers in the world won’t matter. Outside of the QB you need players that can protect your QB, can protect your QB, who your QB can throw to and who can lockdown a receiver. Where you get them in the draft matters because it determines what else you can get. Love everything about Smith at WR (wish he was a hair bigger), and only question is whether he is good enough to take at 3 versus trading down a few spots and getting Chase/Waddle or even Smith if he is still there and adding another 2nd which can be used to pair with pick 18 to move up to the top 10-12 to grab another impact player. Imagine trading down from 3 to 6 and still grabbing Smith or Pitts from Florida and then grab Chase/Parsons/Smith/Pitts with the second pick. That IMO would help us out the most long term.

It's safe to say never has any QB in any round done what Brady has done and the one that comes closest in terms of Championship success and individual success is a 3rd round pick from Notre Dame. Regardless the point of my post was not to argue about the importance of taking a QB in the 1st round I was simply stating that you don't need to draft a QB in the top 5, just as you said you don't need to draft a WR in the top 5. Allen, Mahomes and Rodgers might have all been considered top of the draft QB's but the fact remains none went in the top 5. Also Mahomes was not considered a top of the draft QB as most mocks had him as a late 1st round pick.

The most important thing is team building, if you build a team properly you can without without a top level QB. Look at the past 10 Super Bowls how many were won with an elite 1st round QB? I count 2.

2019: Chiefs--Mahomes elite 1st round QB? Yes
2018: Pats--Brady--No
2017: Eagles--Nick Foles--No
2016: Pats--Brady--No
2015--Broncos--Manning--No (This version of Manning was not elite)
2014:--Pats--Brady--No
2013--Seahawks--Wilson--No
2012--Ravens--Flacco--1st round? yes--elite? No
2011-Giants--Manning--1st round? yes--elite? No
2010--Packers--Rodgers--elite 1st round QB? yes

Olave staying at OU.....sigh.

I actually thought he would be a nice 2nd rounder.....

Great WRs don't win championships...neither do a bunch of promoted practice squad trash...Packers got Adams, Bucs got Evans and Godwin, Bills got Diggs, Chiefs have Hill...times are a changing my friend.

We gotta get a a crafty WR that's a route running master that can get separation at ease...we got enough 50/50 possession in WRs and Gesicki. Smitty or Waddle would be perfect. Chase is tempting but I feel he doesn't get as much separation as the other 2, but I'm also the least familiar with him.

DvP being covered by teams CB2 would make a huge difference.

Thoughts?
Agreed. It's old and out of date thinking to believe that a WR can't be worth a high pick. IMO it's about impact and the sad fact is that our WRs, even when they were healthy (which has proven to be an issue), are one of the worst in the league in terms of getting separation. In general, if you improve something you're terrible at then the impact is huge, particularly in a league that has obviously become so pass-centric. I also don't see much to hang your hat on in terms of organic improvement. We should get Hurns and Wilson back, but that's it. On the OL, we just added three young guys so it's reasonable that they should improve in their second year. We have a rookie QB so he could reasonably expected to improve as well. So I see WR as the number 1 spot where we need to add talent. We simply don't have talent on the roster that can be a #1 guy who is capable of separation. The number 2 spot is RB. The running game could improve with OL development, but we don't have a RB on the roster with the talent to be your #1 back. There are other positions that could be (and should be) upgraded, some sooner, some down the line, but none with have more impact than adding a #1 WR and #1 RB.

Ted Ginn and his family!

Holy cow please never compare T Ginn and D Smith again. Besides them being skinny and playing the same position they are nothing alike.

Hollywood Brown and Henry Ruggs III were the 1st WR's drafted in the last two classes, and both were outside of my Top 5 - and closer to 10th than 5th.
Sooooo what you’re saying is, we should all be checking out the 347 club, j-off’s player rankings here in a couple months for some solid guesses on who turns out as a pro?!

appreciate you

Agreed. It's old and out of date thinking to believe that a WR can't be worth a high pick. IMO it's about impact and the sad fact is that our WRs, even when they were healthy (which has proven to be an issue), are one of the worst in the league in terms of getting separation. In general, if you improve something you're terrible at then the impact is huge, particularly in a league that has obviously become so pass-centric. I also don't see much to hang your hat on in terms of organic improvement. We should get Hurns and Wilson back, but that's it. On the OL, we just added three young guys so it's reasonable that they should improve in their second year. We have a rookie QB so he could reasonably expected to improve as well. So I see WR as the number 1 spot where we need to add talent. We simply don't have talent on the roster that can be a #1 guy who is capable of separation. The number 2 spot is RB. The running game could improve with OL development, but we don't have a RB on the roster with the talent to be your #1 back. There are other positions that could be (and should be) upgraded, some sooner, some down the line, but none with have more impact than adding a #1 WR and #1 RB.
Completely agree...I honestly wouldn't mind using our first 3 picks on 2WRs and an RB depending on BPA. I think Smitty and Harris would make a huge difference, but Waddle is the most explosive. I know people are concerned about Smitty's stature, but after an NFL off-season of training I don't think it's unlikely he can put on atleast 10lbs of muscle without losing his smoothness. Plus he's smart enough to avoid big hugs, ala Marvin Harrison...think I saw the dude get directly hit less than 5 times ha.

But I think Smitty fits Tua's game the best, and Najee compliments our big boys up front the most IMO. Can't really see Hunt or Kindley being agile enough to block for a more zone type runner in ETN. I also think Gaskin doesn't get though credit. He'd be more than serviceable as an RB2.

Edit: Left it as "big hugs" instead of replacing it with "big hits" cuz it's better that way!

Gotta find more than Lynn Bowden, Jr. He reminds me of that stumpy dude with ridiculous quicks but no straightline speed. He played in the age of Brian Hartline, I think.

This will be an exhaustive offseason...

Gotta find more than Lynn Bowden, Jr. He reminds me of that stumpy dude with ridiculous quicks but no straightline speed. He played in the age of Brian Hartline, I think.

This will be an exhaustive offseason...
I think quickness without straight line speed can be very under rated in today's NFL (see Jarvis Landry). I think with an off season and mini camps of learning his new position Bowden can be a solid slot guy moving forward. Great 4th WR at the very least.

I think quickness without straight line speed can be very under rated in today's NFL (see Jarvis Landry). I think with an off season and mini camps of learning his new position Bowden can be a solid slot guy moving forward. Great 4th WR at the very least.

Davonne Bess!...it is underrated. Uncle Vante is 1 year older. Next year we should just sit Preston until Parker Peters out...(intentional)

Otherwise our offense with Lynn Bowden leading the way feels like we've regressed to the Davonne Bess era.

Ted Ginn and his family!

What other similarities can you point out in Smith and Ginn as prospects?

If you're looking to match Smith's size with someone's actual skillset.... Think more along the lines of Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce.

Smith dominates the entire route running tree. Ted Ginn at Ohio State dominated go routes.

Back
Top Bottom