Greatest QB Season ever? Dan Marino’s 1984! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest QB Season ever? Dan Marino’s 1984!

I certainly agree. And there’s no doubt in my mind that had the season ended with the Dolphins sitting at 17-2, after a victory in Super Bowl XIX, nobody would ever think it to be anything but the best ever.

Like several Dolphins seasons since the 70s Golden Age, the 1984 season lost some luster due to the last game (just like 1982, 1985, 1990, 1992, 1994, etc.).

When you consider the records, the team‘s success, and the era in terms of rules and physical defense — it surely has to be among the top seasons for a QB ever. I’d certainly view it as #1.

Kurt Warner‘s 1999 is probably the next contender that immediately comes to mind, in terms of pre-2004ish offensive friendly rules changes.

I certainly agree. And there’s no doubt in my mind that had the season ended with the Dolphins sitting at 17-2, after a victory in Super Bowl XIX, nobody would ever think it to be anything but the best ever.

Like several Dolphins seasons since the 70s Golden Age, the 1984 season lost some luster due to the last game (just like 1982, 1985, 1990, 1992, 1994, etc.).

You left 1971 out.....

When you consider the records, the team‘s success, and the era in terms of rules and physical defense — it surely has to be among the top seasons for a QB ever. I’d certainly view it as #1.

Kurt Warner‘s 1999 is probably the next contender that immediately comes to mind, in terms of pre-2004ish offensive friendly rules changes.

Yes...I would only add that Warner had an all time great back in Marshall Faulk...something we never could get in Miami!

Or Dan’s ‘86 season. One of those two.

OK. I'll be nice.

Remotely comparing Warner to Marino is beyond laughable.

Seriously.

BNF

84' and 86', two of the most exciting yet disappointing seasons. Marino was Extraordinary!!! Never saw anything like him. It's sad he never got the chance to lift that championship trophy. But on the flip side, he single handedly changed the league. He had a storied career and HOF inductee. Miss those days for sure.

The fact that 1986 gets eternally overlooked is proof that the each individual season is viewed through the prism of the ultimate result.

1986 was a great year for Marino and a bad year for the Dolphins, missing the playoffs for the first time since 1980, the beginning of a four year slide and the beginning of the end of Dolphins dominance in the division (although maybe that began in the 1985 AFC championship). Had the Dolphins been a great team that year, won the division, made noise in the playoffs, 1986 would rank right up there among the most highly regarded QB seasons as well.

Personally, other than the playoffs I didn't get to see many games, having grown up in CA in Oak/SF territory.

I think, other than the SB, the game that stood out most that season was the AFCCG. How good was that Pittsburgh team to have gotten that far with Mark Malone at QB? What a lot of Miami fans might not know was that David Woodley was the backup on that team. He was the reason I became a Dolfan, despite how mediocre he was.

Personally, other than the playoffs I didn't get to see many games, having grown up in CA in Oak/SF territory.

I think, other than the SB, the game that stood out most that season was the AFCCG. How good was that Pittsburgh team to have gotten that far with Mark Malone at QB? What a lot of Miami fans might not know was that David Woodley was the backup on that team. He was the reason I became a Dolfan, despite how mediocre he was.
The Steelers were certainly past their glory days by then and they limped to an unimpressive 9-7 record. They even lost to the Dolphins earlier in the regular season in Pittsburgh. But that team will always be known for inflicting San Francisco’s only loss in 1984.

Last edited:
Or Dan’s ‘86 season. One of those two.

From a pure elite production standpoint, totally agree. I just didn’t list it because the team success wasn’t also there — in terms of wins and losses — as was the case with Marino’s ‘84 and Warner’s ‘99.

OK. I'll be nice.

Remotely comparing Warner to Marino is beyond laughable.

Seriously.

BNF

Why so?

I didn’t say it was as impressive, just that his ‘99 season was the next contender for the title of greatest seasons by a QB ever. Specifically considering that it occurred prior to a majority of all the rule changes. And his team had great success winning games, including the SB.

Honestly, if you look at his production that year combined with the team success, IDK how you say it’s laughable. To say it’s not comparable is laughable.

I still believe Marino’s ’84 season is the benchmark. The greatest season of all. But Warner’s ‘99 ain’t far behind.

Now, if you’re talking comparing careers? That would be beyond laughable.

Back
Top Bottom