Greatest QB Season ever? Dan Marino’s 1984! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest QB Season ever? Dan Marino’s 1984!

Totally true. I said nothing that isn't confirmed by looking at their achievements since 1985. What? Two early 90s seasons where they post a decent record but the Bills torched them in the playoffs? Do you know what happens to us if we get there vs the Giants and Cowboys? Ouch! Seriously......the franchise was done after the '85 playoffs when you look at their relevance in the division and the league. And they shouldn't have been with Dan Marino playing out the '80s and '90s with us. Such a shame that was his fate and that the team has had no answer at QB and head coach since then. I have some hope for this new decade but will needless to say take a cautious approach as far as the expectations.

I watched it live...I know we were in the conversation...it was a great Bills team.

If you reach the AFC championship game...your relevant!

Hard to argue against Marino. Brady's 2007 was another incredible season.

Have to factor in rule changes too.

I watched it live...I know we were in the conversation...it was a great Bills team.

If you reach the AFC championship game...your relevant!
Me too. We absolutely were relevant. That Bills team was a dynasty. We were their only serious competition in the AFC for the majority of those years.

Me too. We absolutely were relevant. That Bills team was a dynasty. We were their only serious competition in the AFC for the majority of those years.

Yes...and Dallas was even better then with JJ!

Miami of that era was similar to the Houston Oilers of the 70’s who couldn’t get past Pittsburgh!...Good team, competitive but not quite good enough to get past a great team.

Yes...and Dallas was even better then with JJ!

Miami of that era was similar to the Houston Oilers of the 70’s who couldn’t get past Pittsburgh!...Good team, competitive but not quite good enough to get past a great team.
Yes good comparison.

Brady's 2007 was in large part to Randy Moss...possibly the most talented receiver to ever play. Hell, he made Culpepper look elite.
Moss was amazing. That was really the first time that New England had a real legitimate deep passing game with Brady at quarterback. Get the ball around Moss and he would make the play.

Still, Brady was just so good that year and it wasn't just because of Moss.

Moss was amazing. That was really the first time that New England had a real legitimate deep passing game with Brady at quarterback. Get the ball around Moss and he would make the play.

Still, Brady was just so good that year and it wasn't just because of Moss.

But mostly rules changes.......and ball deflation started that year!

But mostly rules changes.......and ball deflation started that year!
Definitely have to factor in rule changes. I do hate when people talk about Brady doing it with very little talent around him. He always had a great defense that allowed him to be super conservative and not have to take chances down the field. But that was definitely his best year. Manning had that one year, I think with Gase in Denver. Those are the two that have to at least be in the conversation with Marino's 1984.

Love Marino and he's my favorite football player of all time, but no SB win is an awfully big hole to make that declaration.

Definitely have to factor in rule changes. I do hate when people talk about Brady doing it with very little talent around him. He always had a great defense that allowed him to be super conservative and not have to take chances down the field. But that was definitely his best year. Manning had that one year, I think with Gase in Denver. Those are the two that have to at least be in the conversation with Marino's 1984.
Agree w this. Manning probably throws 100 TDs that year if Gase wasn’t holding him back w bubble screens. Hahahhahahhaha

Love Marino and he's my favorite football player of all time, but no SB win is an awfully big hole to make that declaration.
That the best season a QB ever had only ended in a SB appearance, not a win?

Hard to argue against Marino. Brady's 2007 was another incredible season.

Have to factor in rule changes too.

Have to rule in that Brady was also throwing to a top-5 receiver of all-time (even if you don't agree with that assessment, Moss is a HOF'er). IMO, Moss is the single greatest raw talent to ever play in the NFL. When he wanted to play (and he did want to play most of that 2007 season), he was unstoppable. If he had brought that fire to every game, he would have been the best ever by a wide margin. Marino was throwing to ham and eggers (thanks, Bobby Heenan) in 1984 (and most of his career). I know very Duper and Clayton were both very good. Clayton made a few all-pro teams. But neither guy will ever get serious consideration for Canton (they are in the Hall of Good, not the Hall of Fame). Marino's 1984 is the best season ever by a QB. Marino's 1984 is better than anyone else's anything.

Do we proclaim the 2007 Patriots as the best season a team ever had that only ended in SB appearance, not a win?
I was asking for clarity if you were referring to the single season stat line. There have been so many “best seasons” statistically that didn’t end w a SB win - Eric Dickerson’s rushing feat, Randy Moss TDs, Strahan’s sack récord and so on. In fact, I think it’s rare a player sets an individual record and the team wins the SB in that year. Perhaps suggests some sort of imbalance.

Back
Top Bottom