Greedy...I dont think so. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greedy...I dont think so.

kbeath

Come on fellas in 07
Reaction score
Maryland/ Now in FL near Davie I wonder why
Why are all these players that are holding out considered Greedy?:confused: We all want all the money we bring to our respective companies not a cent less but when its a pro athlete than its GREED. :shakeno: I keep hearing "respect your contract" that is funny I dont remember too many contracts that the teams keep. They are always cutting people to free up salary cap space and to stop from paying all the money from the back loaded contract. FOOTBALL CONTRACTS ARE NOT GUARENTEED. Only the signing bonuses. TO may be a jerk but come on the guy is getting paid like the 10th best WR in the league when you are lying if you think you can name 3 better. Same thing goes for Walker as far as getting what your worth. Like it or not these players bring millions of dollars in revenue for there teams and the city they live in. It is unfair to throw the lable GREEDY around. If we were the 10th highest paid employeer for a company we were the absolute most productive worker at, we would all be Pissed! So isnt all this GREEDY stuff HYPOCRITICAL!:fire:

kbeath said:
Why are all these players that are holding out considered Greedy?:confused: We all want all the money we bring to our respective companies not a cent less but when its a pro athlete than its GREED. :shakeno: I keep hearing "respect your contract" that is funny I dont remember too many contracts that the teams keep. They are always cutting people to free up salary cap space and to stop from paying all the money from the back loaded contract. FOOTBALL CONTRACTS ARE NOT GUARENTEED. Only the signing bonuses. TO may be a jerk but come on the guy is getting paid like the 10th best WR in the league when you are lying if you think you can name 3 better. Same thing goes for Walker as far as getting what your worth. Like it or not these players bring millions of dollars in revenue for there teams and the city they live in. It is unfair to throw the lable GREEDY around. If we were the 10th highest paid employeer for a company we were the absolute most productive worker at, we would all be Pissed! So isnt all this GREEDY stuff HYPOCRITICAL!:fire:

yup

kbeath said:

If TO wanted more money then he should have worked that out before he signed on the dotted line. I am supposed to feel sorry for a player that makes more money is one or two years that I would make in 20yrs? I don't think so. They signed the contract. Play it out. You are right that they don't have Guaranteed contracts, only the signing bonus. With the size of the signing bonuses, it doesn't matter. Anyway they should not sit out. Holding out is like a two year old who throws a temper tantrum because they don't get their way.

kbeath said:
I agree that they are doing what's best for them financially, and I wouldn't argue with that. But I tend to lose respect for certain players that hold out sometimes (especially a rookie). An unproven rookie who holds out (eg: Shawn Merriman) really baffles me because there's no guarentee that they're good enough to be in the NFL... as good as they may be in college... once they enter the NFL, there's always the possiblity they can be a BUST. I tend to respect players who think of the team first before themselves. Team players earn my respect because they're not only avoiding causing problems and distractions to the team, but they also are helping the team. As as for TO... the guy just needs to "feed his family". :rolleyes:

kbeath said:

So using your analogy... lets say (for argument sake) you are the 10th highest paid employee for a company, but yet the most productive worker. What do you think would happen if you 'hold out'? You get shown the door for not doing your job. If these players want 8mil a year instead of 7... I say screw you. you signed the contract. Lets let any of these guys go find a normal job that pays that much.

I am all for players trying to get contract extensions by sitting out. If they are in the last year of their contract (like the Wally situation last year). I totally understand it. As a fan, I just want them to play, but I understand. TO is a terrible example. HE just signed a 7 year contract LAST YEAR!. Come on now, if he wanted more money he should have gotten it then. This is just TO. He has his me-first attitude and next thing you know he wants more money.

I can't reember the last time a player wanted to renegotiate if they had a bad year!

Supply and demand. There's a high demand for the entertainment provided by professional football players, and there are very few people in the world who can do what they do. That means those very few people come at a high cost. If you have a problem with that cost then blame it on the people who create the demand -- the fans.

Watch out........here come the "move this to the general nfl forum" police.......

And there is NO way to defend what TO is doing.....NONE! He signed the contract last year, when he was still one of the 3-4 best WR's in football. He got a 9 million dollar bonus. It's not like he was a rookie who completely outplyed his contract in the first year, a contract which was basically pre-determined due to the rookie cap (see Anquan Boldin).......he was granted special league permissions to get out of his SF contract (which was BS to begin with) and then chose Philly and agreed to the contract. If the contract was good enough last year when he was getting his 9 million dollar bonus, what has changed since then.....is he a better player? NO.

I've used a lot of adjectives to describe TO since he pulled this ****....but never GREEDY....more like stupid, jack@ss, malcontent.

No.
If there was no such thing as a "signing bonus" then I would agree with you. In that case, if the team had the right to cancel a contract, then the player should have the same right. However, by paying the signing bonus, the team is effectively guaranteeing the player a sum of money in exchange for that player's guarantee that he will honor his side of the contract.
Now, if a player that wants to "hold out" would be willing to return his signing bonus then the sides would be equal and I would have no problem with that player seeking to renegotiate his deal. But, that isnt what TO is doing. He wants to keep the money already paid to him and get another huge payday now. And, he wants this huge payday after criticizing the organization and the very QB that he demanded he be allowed to play with.
So, no....we arent being hypocritical.... and yes, TO is a greedy punk.

Oboy said:
So using your analogy... lets say (for argument sake) you are the 10th highest paid employee for a company, but yet the most productive worker. What do you think would happen if you 'hold out'? You get shown the door for not doing your job. If these players want 8mil a year instead of 7... I say screw you. you signed the contract. Lets let any of these guys go find a normal job that pays that much.

I am all for players trying to get contract extensions by sitting out. If they are in the last year of their contract (like the Wally situation last year). I totally understand it. As a fan, I just want them to play, but I understand. TO is a terrible example. HE just signed a 7 year contract LAST YEAR!. Come on now, if he wanted more money he should have gotten it then. This is just TO. He has his me-first attitude and next thing you know he wants more money.

I can't reember the last time a player wanted to renegotiate if they had a bad year!
Wally was not in the last year of his contract. Wally fulfilled his contract obligations and was a free agent (RESTRICTED free agent) He played the full term of his contract and was sitting out because he didnt like the terms of the NEW contract the Phins were offering

I think players that hold out should be fined heavily by their teams for not showing up when there suppose too, do not negotiate with them, if they don't want to play for what they signed for, then they don't have to play and they don't have to be paid, this would put an end to holdouts in a hurry, the eagles are going about this the right way, saying if your here your here, if not, we will win without you, there is always someone else willing to take your job. Not being in trainning/mini camps hurt the team and its chances to do well in the season, do you want these players on your team, they ruin chemistry.

kbeath said:

I think everyone above me as stated excellent arguments against you on why TO is in fact greedy. Agree with it all. But don't be naive enough to include Javon Walker in the same class as TO. TO has dominated for years. Javon has had one good year. I know because I had the bum on my fantasy football team the year before and he stunk. Javon has absolutely, positively zero rights to hold out.

anytime a person is offered millions and he holdsout for more, hes called greedy.

but i would be doing the exact same thing...

Holding out to get a contract extension is one thing. Like I would understand if Randy McMichael did. He is going into free agency and is WAY underpaid still playing on his old contract. That to me is acceptable because he is underpaid.

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND: (I could be mistaken)

TO's whole crap is BS imo. Hes making what, 7 million a year? Now thats greed! Theres a difference between wanting what is due to you, and being greedy. TO is greedy. The way his contract is set up, as long as he puts up good numbers, he gets paid. I think this whole "holding out" thing was sparked because he got hurt last year. TO's money is not guaranteed and he wants to rework his contract for slightly more money and more guaranteed money. I think that because he got hurt last year, he had a realization that if he got hurt again early in the year and had to sit out for awhile, he would not get paid and that is what sparked this whole "rework" my contract BS. I have no sympathy for a guy who wants to rework his contract in year 2 of a 7 year deal.

I however feel for guys who want to extend or rework their contract in year 5 of a 5 year deal when they are well underpaid. Teams can axe them if they feel they are not producing, so players should be able to hold out if they are underpaid. Its a 2 way street where the player is usually made out to be the bad person.

I also feel for guys who outplayed and out performed their rookie contracts and want to go into free agency and get paid their worth. If they get slapped with a franchise tag, or a RFA tender, like Ogun did last year, I cant blame him for holding out, I would have done the same thing. If I feel I put up numbers that are top 5 in the NFL and I get slapped a tender paying me top 25 pay, Im going to hold out.

Randy McMichael next year is going to be an interesting situation if we cant work out a contract. I see us slapping a franchise tag on him, whereas I see him wanting a long term deal.

Isn't Sean Taylor holding out for a new contract after being in the league for ONE YEAR?! (At least that's what Drew made it seem lke during Sports Xtra)

Oboy said:
So using your analogy... lets say (for argument sake) you are the 10th highest paid employee for a company, but yet the most productive worker. What do you think would happen if you 'hold out'? You get shown the door for not doing your job.

If youre bar none the MOST productive worker in a company and you "hold out/threaten to leave" unless you earn more money, chances are your Company will at least attempt to meet your salary requirements. Thats the real world in business, and its the real world in the NFL.

I dont like all these hold outs, especially since the players involved are millionaires, but I cant say I dont know where theyre coming from. I have a decent job, but I still think about my salary almost every day and would do almost anything to make more cash. Lets put it this way - If I completed a huge, profit-generating project, I would be in my bosses office the following week asking for a raise. It may not sound nice, but thats life. :o

Back
Top Bottom