Grier, McD & Fangio are Doing a Great Job!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier, McD & Fangio are Doing a Great Job!!!

I think everybody here wants the OL to perform better, last year's patches were very unsatisfying to say the least. The problem this year was only having 4 draft choices and none before the top 50 players and there was nothing to justify a OL pick at #51. The two OT's signed this week look to be insurance against injury. Hopefully a year of maturity, familiarity with the system, and some injury luck, we could see some progress in our weakest area.

Just curious what did they rank our offense line?
He hasn’t done offense yet. Hasn’t done safety or ILB yet to finish up defense, either.

But he did say the other day that he really likes the Isaiah Wynn addition.

I think everybody here wants the OL to perform better, last year's patches were very unsatisfying to say the least. The problem this year was only having 4 draft choices and none before the top 50 players and there was nothing to justify a OL pick at #51. The two OT's signed this week look to be insurance against injury. Hopefully a year of maturity, familiarity with the system, and some injury luck, we could see some progress in our weakest area.

I think I read somewhere that Applebaum struggled to coach the OL last year, so Frank Smith had to babysit. Now we have Barry. I want to be enthusiastic about the hire, but there are reports from the players on his old team saying he didn't know what he was doing. I trust McDaniel and I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. As with last year, Frank Smith could cover if need be, but wouldn't that be taking him away from his duties? There is only so much time in a day. If we are going to make a run at this thing, everybody, coaches included, needs to be on the same page and performing at the highest level.

Don't hold your breath, Sunshine. When was the last time Chris Grier paid top $ for a RB? On top of which he just drafted Achane.
Until last year, when was the last time he paid top dollar for a RB? Until this year, when did they pay top dollar for a DC? Perfect examples of how history isn't always indicative of future moves.

So...we went into the offseason, with (other than Tua), the offensive line being the biggest issue on the team. We did not address this, at all. NO clear upgrades anywhere. I don't care who our receivers are, if Tua can't get time to get them the ball and can't stand up straight, so what? If there are no holes for our runners to get through, so what? We have definitely upgraded and they have done a good job of bringing in talent, but they did not deal with the biggest problem. It's like having a cracked axle and getting a new paint job and new rims.

Until last year, when was the last time he paid top dollar for a RB? Until this year, when did they pay top dollar for a DC? Perfect examples of how history isn't always indicative of future moves.
To be fair, he paid top money to a DC with the previous hire. He just gave the clueless bastard the title of HC.

So...we went into the offseason, with (other than Tua), the offensive line being the biggest issue on the team. We did not address this, at all. NO clear upgrades anywhere. I don't care who our receivers are, if Tua can't get time to get them the ball and can't stand up straight, so what? If there are no holes for our runners to get through, so what? We have definitely upgraded and they have done a good job of bringing in talent, but they did not deal with the biggest problem. It's like having a cracked axle and getting a new paint job and new rims.

Yeah. Grier said in the after-draft presser that others outside the organization are more concerned with the OL than they are internally. He must feel really confident about our guys developing and taking the next step. I hope he is correct and not just saying it because he's trying to give the unit a boost mentally.

Regardless. To cite history as the reason something won't happen is ridiculous. Nothing happened until IT happened.
True to an extent. "Won't" is an absolute, absolutes are inherently flawed in many cases.

In the other hand, if similar situations have similar outcomes numerous times, the probabilities are apparent, therefore a rational point of debate.

It can be ridiculous, as you put it, but not necessarily so, IMO.

The OL as a group should perform better this year than last year. There are multiple reasons for my statement.
  • Fewer assignment mistakes from 2nd year in the system.
  • Improved talent in the group as a whole.
  • Growth of young players.
  • Better blocking support from the TEs
  • There is a chance there will be no replacement level players in the starting 5.

Back
Top Bottom