Grier Ranked 20th Best GM by USA Today | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier Ranked 20th Best GM by USA Today

For what it's worth, USA Today ranked all NFL GM's with Chris Grier coming in at number 20. I think that's low, but Miami has only made the playoffs once in Grier's seven seasons in the position with three winning seasons.

Bill Bellichick was given the top spot, which I definitely don't agree with. As a coach, sure but as GM?

The bottom line is winning, though. Hopefully, this year will move Grier up. Personally, considering the magnitude of the rebuild I think Grier is top half of the league, just outside of the top 10 (12ish).

I don’t think it’s low. He hasn’t built a playoff roster yet.

Hmmm..... I always thought Shula would have had problems dealing with the Free Agency aspect of today. I definitely don't think players would be lining up to play for him today, given his (perceived?) hard a$$ persona.
Recall he was the coach in ‘92 when FA started and his first move was to land Keith Jackson. I think he would have been great in any era - even today. Same reason BB is great today - and he is even less relatable - winning. Players respect winning coaches.

Recall he was the coach in ‘92 when FA started and his first move was to land Keith Jackson. I think he would have been great in any era - even today. Same reason BB is great today - and he is even less relatable - winning. Players respect winning coaches.
Phin goggles. By that time he hadn't won anything in two decades. Do you think if BB hadn't won a title in 20 years he would be viewed the same way?

Phin goggles. By that time he hadn't won anything in two decades. Do you think if BB hadn't won a title in 20 years he would be viewed the same way?
Well he had 2 SB births and an additional 2 title game appearances - one as recently as ‘91. I don’t think the winningest coach of all time would have had trouble managing his team - same way guys who win now - BB, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid don’t have trouble.

For what it's worth, USA Today ranked all NFL GM's with Chris Grier coming in at number 20. I think that's low, but Miami has only made the playoffs once in Grier's seven seasons in the position with three winning seasons.

Bill Bellichick was given the top spot, which I definitely don't agree with. As a coach, sure but as GM?

The bottom line is winning, though. Hopefully, this year will move Grier up. Personally, considering the magnitude of the rebuild I think Grier is top half of the league, just outside of the top 10 (12ish).

Pretty much, if Tua balls out, looks like a franchise qb and miami gets to playoffs, maybe wins a game. I think Grier should and would shoot up toward top. We've had good picks, but it's obvious, the biggest deciding factor to Grier as a gm is how Tua pans out. This is the year, I think tua will ball out but we shall see.

He totally botched the last 2 first-rounders in 2020 with Jackson and Iggy, especially Iggy, but he's really turned it around the last 2 years IMHO. His arrow is definitely pointing up.

He totally botched the last 2 first-rounders in 2020 with Jackson and Iggy, especially Iggy, but he's really turned it around the last 2 years IMHO. His arrow is definitely pointing up.
I hear you. Hopefully, Jackson is salvageable. A new coaching staff could be just what he needs.

Hmmm..... I always thought Shula would have had problems dealing with the Free Agency aspect of today. I definitely don't think players would be lining up to play for him today, given his (perceived?) hard a$$ persona.
But Bellicheat was considered hard ass but since he won (with Brady) lots went to play for him.

But Bellicheat was considered hard ass but since he won (with Brady) lots went to play for him.
Really? I don't recall that many top FAs signing up there. Sure, he had several problem children go there and be successful on bargain contracts, but let's not pretend top skill players or defenders were lining up to play for BB. If they were lining up for anything it was to win a title, and that had as much to do with Brady as BB, IMO.

The bloom has come off the Shula rose for me. I give Shula his due for the fifteen year period between 1970-1985 (as a Dolphins coach, obviously he had great success prior with other teams). But his last ten years as Dolphins coach are overrated as hell (in light of the disaster the team became post his tenure). He absolutely wasted the Dan Marino years: 1 SB loss, 1/3 in conference championships, missing the playoffs entirely 1986-89, 91 (technically ‘93 as well but Marino got injured), and even in ‘95 they got to the playoffs only to be embarrassed by the Bills (Shula was 0-3 against the Bills in the playoffs).

If Brady is worse than Dan Marino, and Belichick did substantially better with a worse QB then it’s fair to say he’s better. I don’t care much about that debate. But when Marino’s career is reevaluated, one can only arrive at the the conclusion that either he was overrated or Shula was at that point. I’m confident it was Shula.

Or you can go with the obvious solution?

The NFL has changed the rules of the passing game to where it's a bigger correlation to winning than it used to be.

It's easier to win now with just the best QB than it was when Shula was coaching.

You know how I know the opinions on FinHeaven are trash? Because we have a single thread where people are trashing Don Shula and praising Chris Grier. You guys are mooks... The lot of ya.

BB is definitely overrated. There are 9 years of BB coaching without Brady.

3 winning seasons, 2 playoffs, 1 WC game win.

No arguing that he isn’t a great DC.

I am impressed with Howie Roseman of the Eagles.

The amount of resources Roseman spent to acquire Smith and Brown compared to the amount of resources Grier spent to acquire Waddle and Hill is astonishing.

Well he had 2 SB births and an additional 2 title game appearances - one as recently as ‘91. I don’t think the winningest coach of all time would have had trouble managing his team - same way guys who win now - BB, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid don’t have trouble.
In Shula's last 6 years, we won 2 division titles, had 4 playoff appearances. 3 playoff wins, averaged 10 wins a season, with 1 AFC title game appearance. Somewhat disappointing at the time... and light years beyond anything we've seen in Miami since.

Rating Bill Bellichick at the top as a GM pretty much invalidates the rest of the list.

Take a look at his Draft record.

Back
Top Bottom