Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

When you say Mostert had shown potential before his brief Miami stint, remember he didn't get his first NFL regular season carry, reception or return until after he left Miami. He had only a small handful of preseason carries before trying out for the Dolphins. I think it was 39 carries 156 yards 4.0 average and a long of 16 yards. Solid, but nothing that really catches the eye for a udfa back.

I remember seeing Mostert in preaseason action. He was also a very good returner and that was the primary reason why I was surprised we picked him up and then discarded him so quick.

He did have a couple good years with the colts

Really thought him and Smith were gonna be special :(

I though Smith would be special after his first preseason...but it turns out he picked off about as many passes that preseason as he would in any full regular season. He was pretty typical of a Dolphins defense in that era that struggled to translate decent performances into wins because they couldn't make game changing plays and when the game was on the line, QB's would just throw through our defense, including Smith, because they just could never play the ball and opposing QBs knew that.

This doesn't necessarily apply to "giving up on too soon", because JT was at the end of his career, but seeing Jason Taylor leave, go to Washington, come back, then go to the Jets, then come back, was not cool. Wished we would have kept him here his entire career, especially at the end.

He had 11 sacks in 2007.
Went to Skins and had 3.5
Came back and got 7.
Went to Jets and got 5.
Came back for final season and got 7 again.

Jason Taylor playing for the Jets was like when the Dukes of Hazzard replaced Bo and Luke with Coy and Vance. We all know it happened, but let's just never talk about it.

TFK

I though Smith would be special after his first preseason...but it turns out he picked off about as many passes that preseason as he would in any full regular season. He was pretty typical of a Dolphins defense in that era that struggled to translate decent performances into wins because they couldn't make game changing plays and when the game was on the line, QB's would just throw through our defense, including Smith, because they just could never play the ball and opposing QBs knew that.

Hey that one year he dropped like 5 or 6 easy picks and he was supposed to have been a receiver in HS. Stone hands

Minkah Fitzpatrick..I know he wanted out of Miami but I sure wish Fitzpatrick and Flores could have worked things out. Because I think if he stays healthy, Fitzpatrick will be an all pro safety for several years to come.
I think he is good not great, he is fortunate to play for a diehard fan base that submits every player on the team for pro bowl. His big notable plays last season were all lucky jailbreak INTs or Fumble recoveries. He still lacks man coverage skills and isn't the tackler that he was billed as coming out of Alabama. I predict he asks for a trade in another year or two when the Steelers start their post BigBen rebuild

I would say Raheem Mostert is the obvious...I thought it was pretty disappointing that a guy who had shown some potential before we brought him in was cast aside a few weeks later without much chance.
I remember seeing Mostert in preaseason action. He was also a very good returner and that was the primary reason why I was surprised we picked him up and then discarded him so quick.

Miami ended up keeping three backs in 2015 Ajayi, Lamar Miller and Damien Williams. I could see why he didn't make the roster. I think 2019 was the first year anyone would have rated him higher than the other three. I think Miami had Mike Gillislie in camp too at the time and he ended up having a couple of decent moments with the Patriots, Bills and Giants.

I think he is good not great, he is fortunate to play for a diehard fan base that submits every player on the team for pro bowl. His big notable plays last season were all lucky jailbreak INTs or Fumble recoveries. He still lacks man coverage skills and isn't the tackler that he was billed as coming out of Alabama. I predict he asks for a trade in another year or two when the Steelers start their post BigBen rebuild

He did not want to be here. End of story

Wish him well when he's not playing us I guess :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom