Guys we gave up on too soon | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

royalshank

Not a Game-Changer
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We really got trashed in here with a lot of players mentioned. I don’t agree w all of them - each has circumstances such as Tunsil (so what if he’s the highest paid OL) but curious what names come to mind.

Tony Martin for me - bugged me that we didn’t have him for the middle of his career.

Who else comes to mind?

Minkah Fitzpatrick..I know he wanted out of Miami but I sure wish Fitzpatrick and Flores could have worked things out. Because I think if he stays healthy, Fitzpatrick will be an all pro safety for several years to come.

Rishard Mathews comes to mind...it's about to be Jakeem Grant the way this board is talking.

Chad Henne could've been retained for cheap and he seemed to be growing before his last freak injury.

People seem to want to discard Rosen while we have him for cheap. Doesn't make sense to me considering his potential upside. His pocket presence is pretty damn good. He's got timing issues, but still a decent backup at least.

This doesn't necessarily apply to "giving up on too soon", because JT was at the end of his career, but seeing Jason Taylor leave, go to Washington, come back, then go to the Jets, then come back, was not cool. Wished we would have kept him here his entire career, especially at the end.

He had 11 sacks in 2007.
Went to Skins and had 3.5
Came back and got 7.
Went to Jets and got 5.
Came back for final season and got 7 again.

Rishard Mathews comes to mind...it's about to be Jakeem Grant the way this board is talking.

Chad Henne could've been retained for cheap and he seemed to be growing before his last freak injury.

People seem to want to discard Rosen while we have him for cheap. Doesn't make sense to me considering his potential upside. His pocket presence is pretty damn good. He's got timing issues, but still a decent backup at least.

Why on Earth keep Henne? He had shown minimal progress and Matt Moore led what developed into a pretty high flying offense by the end of the year...something that Henne just wasn't capable of. He showed to be a serviceable backup but you don't re-sign your former QB of the future to be that, especially when you've got those guys on the roster.

Matthews was a FA. He had blossomed but we had a lot invested at that position at that point and it didn't make sense to sign Matthews to FA money.

When you say Mostert had shown potential before his brief Miami stint, remember he didn't get his first NFL regular season carry, reception or return until after he left Miami. He had only a small handful of preseason carries before trying out for the Dolphins. I think it was 39 carries 156 yards 4.0 average and a long of 16 yards. Solid, but nothing that really catches the eye for a udfa back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom