Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

As an older fan Troy Vincent became a Pro Bowler after Jimmy got rid of him.
Wes Walker hurt but he never would have had the success he went on to have in NE with Brady / Belecheck

Very awkward situation. Theismann was a famous college player and it seemed obvious he was incredibly underrated in that draft. But Griese was in his prime and Theismann was adamant about not waiting behind Griese. So nobody had much hope anything would work out. It was just a matter of where Theismann went and if Miami received any compensation.

During his Redskins career it was never a matter of we shoulda kept him. Now, if he had been drafted in '77 or '78 instead of '71 it would have been a totally different story.

Leon Gray and Gary Fencik were the two names that came to mind immediately in this category. It's obvious not too many old timers still post here when those players haven't been mentioned by page 8. These were multiple first team All-Pro types. Unfortunately the rosters were small and Miami had depth at the two positions, especially offensive line when Gray was released. Everyone knew that was a heck of a player who we had to let go. He starred with New England quickly and for a long time. Fencik was not as obvious as a budding star but he was very smart and a big hitter. Jake Scott had been traded weeks earlier. The secondary was hardly a strength to the degree of offensive line when Gray was released. That 1976 season turned out miserable anyway. Then within a year or two when Fencik was starring for the Bears we realized not only was the season a waste but we gave away a great enforcer safety for nothing.
I had forgotten about Fencik. Great player.

For me it is a tie. WR-Anthony Carter (traded to Vikings in 1985) and Minkah Fitzpatrick (traded to Pittsburgh 2019).

I had forgotten about Fencik. Great player.
OH MY GOD!!! You almost gave me a stroke telling us the Miami Dolphins DRAFTED and CUT Leon Gray. Dude I had no idea Miami drafted him. He is the best Offensive Tackle New England ever had to this day. I remember him along with LG-John Hannah dominating that left side back in the day. Good pick by you man. hard to top that one.

Billy Turner - we cut him after he played a terrible game at left tackle, a position he was asked to play on the morning of the game with no prep time and he went on to become a serviceable guard.

He's still among the worst guards in football.

For me it is a tie. WR-Anthony Carter (traded to Vikings in 1985) and Minkah Fitzpatrick (traded to Pittsburgh 2019).
Carter’s trade was really for Hugh Green. Should have been a great trade. Minkah was a terrible trade IMO and I still hate it, and probably will hate it until I’m senile and forget about it. He scored more TDs last year than almost everyone on our offense ?

Carter’s trade was really for Hugh Green. Should have been a great trade. Minkah was a terrible trade IMO and I still hate it, and probably will hate it until I’m senile and forget about it. He scored more TDs last year than almost everyone on our offense ?
I mean it's really more about how Jackson does as that the primary player we got for trading him right?

Dolphins had the Mark Brothers and Nate Moore so Anthony would not have gotten much playing time as 4th receiver and Dolphins needed help on defense so they traded Anthony to get help on defense and the trade did not work out for us due to Green's knee injury so Minnesota won the trade unfortanely!

Minkah did not want to be here so Dolphins have no choice to trade him

As an older fan Troy Vincent became a Pro Bowler after Jimmy got rid of him.
Wes Walker hurt but he never would have had the success he went on to have in NE with Brady / Belecheck
Yeah Welker is the one I really regret but we were (are still until Tua starts) a multi decade trash can at QB.

I mean it's really more about how Jackson does as that the primary player we got for trading him right?
True. But an impact player for a lineman - Jackson needs to be a very good player for a lot of years to make this feel better.

Exactly. We got a fair amount for him. We don't want players that don't want to be here. Get on board or drown.
I disagree. Minkah was the 11th pick in the draft. And was very good at FS. Flores tried to use him at every position on defense making him ineffective. He is now an All-Pro FS in Pittsburgh.

Back
Top Bottom