Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

Yeah if we can't have a guy whose happy when we're losing 102-10 our first two games, that's not a guy I want here. Especially since he didn't appreciate that we shipped our our offensive line centerpiece before the season...wait I forgot how that was supposed to make sense. After we did nothing but draft lesser versions of the players we traded away with those picks, I still don't understand the wisdom.
I am still bitter over the Minkah deal. Tunsil made sense to me as we were going to have to pay him much more than he’s worth. I was good w that. But not Minkah.

Larry Shannon
David Garrard
Jerris mcphail
Robert Jones
Tony Collins
Stefon Adams
Leonard Henry
Davon Drew
Some good names here. I think Robert Jones had a nice career here and was just a little past his prime, Tony Collins was shot by the time he got here - Shula gave him a good chance and he was decent in preseason but you could see he had lost a couple of steps - I think he retired when he didn’t make the team.

From a coaches perspective I make that deal all day every day.. Gm has to be accountable for the players chosen..

I'm still not that sold on our staff...lots of bad teams have been able to play spoiler down the stretch, especially when they can play with reckless abandon with no consequence as losing is almost a win. Much harder to come out in a season with actual expectation and play competitive football over the length of a season. Saban rolled over bad teams late in the year (with the help of two great relief appearances from Sage Rosenfels which turned sure losses into wins) to a 9-7 record, and then his failure to take the team to the next level will always be Dolphin legend. Flores alienated this team's only actual talent outside of Devante Parker, failed to handle a QB of the future properly, and got absolutely schooled time and time again early in the year. He did far more negative than surprising late season wins when you're only playing spoiler can undo. I'm still not sure he knows how to use anyone in their proper position nor handle the QB position properly.

I seem to remember a guard who went on to be a probowler, but I can't pin the name down.
Was it Wade Smith? He was a tackle for us and he was atrocious. He wound up making a pro bowl as a guard in like his 14th season. I remember saying, “huh? I didn’t know he was still playing”. Not sure if that’s who you are referring to?

I'm still not that sold on our staff...lots of bad teams have been able to play spoiler down the stretch, especially when they can play with reckless abandon with no consequence as losing is almost a win. Much harder to come out in a season with actual expectation and play competitive football over the length of a season. Saban rolled over bad teams late in the year (with the help of two great relief appearances from Sage Rosenfels which turned sure losses into wins) to a 9-7 record, and then his failure to take the team to the next level will always be Dolphin legend. Flores alienated this team's only actual talent outside of Devante Parker, failed to handle a QB of the future properly, and got absolutely schooled time and time again early in the year. He did far more negative than surprising late season wins when you're only playing spoiler can undo. I'm still not sure he knows how to use anyone in their proper position nor handle the QB position properly.
I’ve got no comment on Flores pro or con, but I’ve always said getting a team from 1 or 2 wins to 7-8 is not the mean feat it’s made out to be. Getting the 8-8 team to 12+ wins and a legit playoff run. Now that’s the mark of a great coach.

Was it Wade Smith? He was a tackle for us and he was atrocious. He wound up making a pro bowl as a guard in like his 14th season. I remember saying, “huh? I didn’t know he was still playing”. Not sure if that’s who you are referring to?

Wade Smith belongs in the tier of worst lineman to ever start for this team. That said, even at the time a lot of people on the board said his arms were too short for playing tackle, where he was exceedingly overmatched. The Dolphins themselves tried to transition him to another position, but cut bait on him after doing so in camp one year. Lo and behold people on here were right - he was viable at a position besides LT. I never lost sleep over him though.

I don’t feel like you are putting the talent level of the team into proper context relative to the rest of the league..

Who was the Qb of the future Rosen?

Minkah panicked

I don't think so, I think I was mistaken because I haven't been able to find him. I thought a guard who went on to start for the Saints had been with us, but no.

Some good names here. I think Robert Jones had a nice career here and was just a little past his prime, Tony Collins was shot by the time he got here - Shula gave him a good chance and he was decent in preseason but you could see he had lost a couple of steps - I think he retired when he didn’t make the team.

that's every dolphin player that ever went to ECU lol

Reggie Bush and Adewale Ogunleye

also would never let Zach Thomas play for Dallas in his last year.

Reggie Bush and Adewale Ogunleye

also would never let Zach Thomas play for Dallas in his last year.

Wale had a solid but unspectacular career after he left Miami - one double-digit sack year, and Chicago gave him a ridiculous contract.

Wale had a solid but unspectacular career after he left Miami - one double-digit sack year, and Chicago gave him a ridiculous contract.

Ogunleye had one great year with us but he was a product of having a HOF DE opposite him. He was good but legitimately not worth the money. We actually got a pretty good player for him too, but Booker really never had any mojo here whatsoever. Quite disappointing as he was a flat out beast in Chicago.

So threads like this one come up periodically every season or so. I can't help but think I'd widen my perspective. Here are a few that I typically don't see mentioned:

5. Fergie (she's still hot)
4. Bill Arnsparger (at a minimum we should have lured him back when he returned to the NFL)
3. Jimmy Buffet (admit it, when you're drunk in the stands you're STILL singing "fins to the left of me, fins to the right ...")
2. The original Flipper (not a guy dressed up in a dolphin suit ... the actual dolphin mammal in a pool that jumped through hoops when we scored ... in fairness he might have been overworked if he were still around in the Marino era, but still, he was awesome!)
1. Don Shula (yeah, Jimmy Johnson was a great young coach and offered a real expectation of a dynasty ... but Shula was the best, and he was still winning 10 wins a year)

Back
Top Bottom