Handling of Noah Igbinoghene an example of Dolphins’ long-term process | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handling of Noah Igbinoghene an example of Dolphins’ long-term process

You're mad that Miami took a Iggy in the first round but wish they took a running back in the first round instead? That's an awful use of draft resources. The one thing this team has right is the value they place on the running back position. It's the last position they should ever use a first round draft pick on. A third corner back has more value than a running back when it comes to team building,
That's garbage. An awful resource is drafting poor players like Charles Harris or a player that sits on the bench and hardly plays. Drafting a starting RB is a smart resource since it actually helps your team win games. This nonsense about not drafting a RB in the 1st round has become illogical. You want great players on the field like a JTaylor regardless of position. Iggy is basically a cheerleader from the bench.

That's garbage. An awful resource is drafting poor players like Charles Harris or a player that sits on the bench and hardly plays. Drafting a starting RB is a smart resource since it actually helps your team win games. This nonsense about not drafting a RB in the 1st round has become illogical. You want great players on the field like a JTaylor regardless of position. Iggy is basically a cheerleader from the bench.
It’s easy to look back in hindsight and say “who” you should have taken. When you’re building a team, it’s more important to place value on the position especially in the first round because of the money that needs to be allocated to a rookie compared to a veteran at the same position.
Just look back at what the Chiefs did last year by taking CEH in the first round. There were about five running backs selected after him that look more dynamic than him. He was hardly a factor most of the season. They would have been better off drafting just about any other position other than a running back in the first round.

I'm going to admit I'm not a big fan of Noah. His feet looked so slow to react last season which is a terrible trait in a corner. It seemed like any time he saw the field he was picked on by Quarterbacks.

That said, he is raw and I'm hoping the work he has put in lifts him beyond my personal expectations.
But we were supposed to trade X when we drafted him and plug 🔌 in the cheaper, younger version. You know, leading the NFL in INTs over 4 years is easily replaced… 😝

It’s easy to look back in hindsight and say “who” you should have taken. When you’re building a team, it’s more important to place value on the position especially in the first round because of the money that needs to be allocated to a rookie compared to a veteran at the same position.
Just look back at what the Chiefs did last year by taking CEH in the first round. There were about five running backs selected after him that look more dynamic than him. He was hardly a factor most of the season. They would have been better off drafting just about any other position other than a running back in the first round.

Are you a disgruntled JETS fan looking for a better team to whine about, or are we just lucky your here?

I never seen so many I told you so posts about rookies being 'horrendous' thier first year being two of the youngest guys in the NFL with no offesason. Wow you guys are sooooo intuitive. The anti Grier crowd is still strong.

It was a terrible pick when they could have drafted an all pro RB in Taylor. Or Swift , JK, Akers or Edwards Helaire. All are legit starters at a position where the Fins ranked 29th.
These would have, could have, should have takes are wonderful. I can't say I liked the pick at the time, but unlike most I understand the reasoning and the potential in this kid. It doesn't matter what my GM abilities tell me about what the Dolphins should or shouldn't do.

If you scout by magazine or ESPN and that's your thing, Noah wasn't considered some 4th rounder. He was mostly in the late first/second round conversation based on physical abilities. This after playing the position for 10 years..oops..2 years. Flores and Alexander have both said his turning point and improvements are noted in practice and the Cinci game they specifically called him out.

To me, he has a chance to get there. He will also benefit from you know....practice..preseason...things they didn't get much of last year. Call him a bust if that's your thing...but his story is not written.

Before the season starts we need a thread allowing people to say NOW who Miami should have taken in April. E.g., iinstead of Holland, I'd have taken . . .i No trades allowed. we know these people will turn up in Nov when the results are in

These would have, could have, should have takes are wonderful. I can't say I liked the pick at the time, but unlike most I understand the reasoning and the potential in this kid. It doesn't matter what my GM abilities tell me about what the Dolphins should or shouldn't do.

If you scout by magazine or ESPN and that's your thing, Noah wasn't considered some 4th rounder. He was mostly in the late first/second round conversation based on physical abilities. This after playing the position for 10 years..oops..2 years. Flores and Alexander have both said his turning point and improvements are noted in practice and the Cinci game they specifically called him out.

To me, he has a chance to get there. He will also benefit from you know....practice..preseason...things they didn't get much of last year. Call him a bust if that's your thing...but his story is not written.
Aside from that, ppl that get all up in arms about drafting a RB high have a far different (and somewhat outmoded) philosophy than those in charge. That's fine, but they are arguing something that isn't reality, and it isn't likely to change until/unless our roster is otherwise complete.

They, and many other organizations, just don't see it as a high "value" position, in terms of the draft.

Last edited:
You're mad that Miami took a Iggy in the first round but wish they took a running back in the first round instead? That's an awful use of draft resources. The one thing this team has right is the value they place on the running back position. It's the last position they should ever use a first round draft pick on. A third corner back has more value than a running back when it comes to team building,
Wait….. So it was a good thing that they took a rookie project that got decimated in his first year? I mean….He wasn’t even a good special teams guy. By your logic, it was better to take that guy than any of the RBs drafted right after him that were productive?

Wait….. So it was a good thing that they took a rookie project that got decimated in his first year? I mean….He wasn’t even a good special teams guy. By your logic, it was better to take that guy than any of the RBs drafted right after him that were productive?
From a value of position perspective? Absolutely. Someone used as an example that taking a running back would have been a much better pick than Charles Harris. What if the pick would have been TJ Watt instead of Harris, would the running back still be the better pick? Hell no. A defensive end, especially on a rookie contract, is way more valuable than a running back.
I wouldn’t judge a cornerback in his rookie season compared to a running back in their rookie season. Cornerback is notoriously one of the hardest positions to excel at right away, while running back is the easiest to excel at as a rookie. Jeff Okudah was an excellent corner prospect that was selected with the third overall pick in Iggy’s draft class and he struggled and looked lost last season. Should the Lions have selected a running back instead because they would have gotten more immediate production from that position? Hell no to that question also.

From a value of position perspective? Absolutely. Someone used as an example that taking a running back would have been a much better pick than Charles Harris. What if the pick would have been TJ Watt instead of Harris, would the running back still be the better pick? Hell no. A defensive end, especially on a rookie contract, is way more valuable than a running back.
I wouldn’t judge a cornerback in his rookie season compared to a running back in their rookie season. Cornerback is notoriously one of the hardest positions to excel at right away, while running back is the easiest to excel at as a rookie. Jeff Okudah was an excellent corner prospect that was selected with the third overall pick in Iggy’s draft class and he struggled and looked lost last season. Should the Lions have selected a running back instead because they would have gotten more immediate production from that position? Hell no to that question also.
Ppl often go off on tangents, using specific player selection comps, instead of addressing the fact that there is a basic philosophical difference.

The fact is, the RB position is no longer seen by most NFL FOs as a high value position. Not in terms of drafting, and not in terms of high $ free agents.

This is the draft history of RBs. I defy any of the ppl expousing the old school RB philosophy to look at it, and show me how spending high draft capital on a RB, in the modern game (after the turn of the century) translates to a championship contending team.

that's because the last 5 games of the season he played a grand total of 9 defensive snaps, all of them coming in week 17 at buffalo.
First 4 games...

223 snaps
22 targets
14 completions
63.6% completion
280 yards
12.7 y/t
3 TDs
0 PBU
146.8 passer rating

Rest of season (6 games played)...
63 snaps
6 targets
3 completions
50% completion
26 yards
4.3 y/t
0 TDs
1 PBU
61.8 passer rating

I'm not posting this to excuse Iggy. Overall he had a garbage first season. And there is an obvious contextual difference that must be acknowledged between the first and second set of numbers that I don't think needs to be explained.

I do also just also want to note that 260 (85%) of his yards and all his TDs came against Buffalo/Seattle, even though those two games only account for 42% of his snaps. He actually had a very good statistical season otherwise, but those games were just that bad. He only gave up 20 total yards against the Jags/Pats early on while logging heavy snaps, yet the numbers from his first 4 games are still that bad.

Don't shoot the messenger here. I'm just posting the numbers since we are talking about his snaps and the stats he gave up after his disastrous start.

But if we are going to totally trash him for how bad he was to start the year, I don't think we should ignore that he, at the very least, managed to not embarrass himself in what amounted to 22% of his snaps on the year afterwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom