Handling of Noah Igbinoghene an example of Dolphins’ long-term process | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handling of Noah Igbinoghene an example of Dolphins’ long-term process

I'm still happy with the pick for now. It was a rough year for him to start but I'm not sure any rookie would have been able to handle that especially with the COVID-19 restrictions limiting camps.

Between injuries and potential contract disputes you have to be prepared to replace starting players, especially at the high value positions (CB,EDGE)

The Dolphins obviously see boundary CB as a position that they need a potential starting player ready to go in the pipeline. Not surprising considering injuries/contract dispute concerns. They drafted a guy they see as a future starter at a position of high value. Hard to find fault in the basis of the pick.

I will say If the Dolphins need him to step up and start this year he has to show up and produce, rookie excuses aren't valid in year 2.

There is no reason not to take a HB near the end of the first round if its the right player. Its not like we are talking a top 5 pick.
There's really no reason to take one in the first round either, when it's the least valuable position on the field and is the easiest position to fill in other ways.

I deleted last season's games, but if I recall correctly (as an example) he played about half the defensive snaps in the win against Cinci.

I'm not saying he set the world on fire, but he did not look like the same payer as the disaster that was inserted before he was ready early on.
A hope is that in year 2, a player taken 30th last year could outplay a rookie taken top 5 this year. Basically he was drafted to 'redshirt' his rookie year and be ready to excel in year 2. Elite CB draft picks are often top 7 picks.
Would you feel good if Iggy can match the ability of Surtain JR in 2021?
If he has the physical gifts of an elite CB and his rookie year trained him up like a more polished star college CB, then you got an elite, early-first round player at #30 overall and all it cost was one year of rookie salary.
But, we make up for that in the cost-difference between what Iggy signed for vs Surtain Jr rookie contract.
Im pretty sure Dolphins win or break even. Only big risk was injury negating the practice/playing time needed for the training for him to make that jump now. No Injury, so WIN IMO.
If Iggy lags way behind the top 3 CBs in 2021 draft then Miami loses the gamble.
Keep in mind, CBs cost a Fortune and are cap destroyers if you need one in FA. We know best on that right now. Iggy panning out could be what wins us a SB...because we van use the savings in other areas to bolster our roster.

A hope is that in year 2, a player taken 30th last year could outplay a rookie taken top 5 this year. Basically he was drafted to 'redshirt' his rookie year and be ready to excel in year 2. Elite CB draft picks are often top 7 picks.
Would you feel good if Iggy can match the ability of Surtain JR in 2021?
If he has the physical gifts of an elite CB and his rookie year trained him up like a more polished star college CB, then you got an elite, early-first round player at #30 overall and all it cost was one year of rookie salary.
But, we make up for that in the cost-difference between what Iggy signed for vs Surtain Jr rookie contract.
Im pretty sure Dolphins win or break even. Only big risk was injury negating the practice/playing time needed for the training for him to make that jump now. No Injury, so WIN IMO.
If Iggy lags way behind the top 3 CBs in 2021 draft then Miami loses the gamble.
Keep in mind, CBs cost a Fortune and are cap destroyers if you need one in FA. We know best on that right now. Iggy panning out could be what wins us a SB...because we van use the savings in other areas to bolster our roster.
If Howard or Jones go down again... and Iggy gives us good play in reserve, he will have made his money..
If he plays well enough so that we can let one of them go... we struck gold.

First 4 games, he didn't even know the coverages...

Late in the season, he played better because he knew them. He'll play.
The defense as a whole didn't even look like it had gotten the scheme down early on. Look at how the garbage Pats rolled all over us in week 1.

We had Byron, Lawson, Ogbah, Van Noy, Roberts, Davis were all listed starters that had not been on the team the previous year. How many teams have over 50% turnover on either side of the ball?

This was a team that needed a proper offseason more than any. And Iggy was already the most raw prospect taken in the first 2 days.

It was a perfect storm in the worst way that Byron went down and thrust Iggy in a role that was too advanced for where he was at. All while in a defense where other guys were still figuring out.

I don't want to make excuses for guys like Jackson or Iggy. When we drafted them I was upset bc I didn't expect either of them to be good in 2020.

So why am going to change my opinion when I basically got almost exactly what I expected last year? Plenty of growing pains from both. And I didn't even think Tua would play TBH. Back on draft night I was viewing that 1st round as three high risk/high ceiling players that wouldn't begin showing their true potential until 2021.

Just hoping these guys get closer to that "high ceiling" next year.

Last edited:
Just going by memory, since Flo came aboard we have, in rd1, drafted a D lineman, a QB, a RT, a corner, one of the top WR prospects (huge need), and arguably the top pass rusher in the class this year.

All considered premium positions, with the exception of Waddle, and I certainly don't fault them for that.
Waddle is going to redefine premium...at multiple positions

There's really no reason to take one in the first round either, when it's the least valuable position on the field and is the easiest position to fill in other ways.
So last year, who exactly was our easiest position filled with???

So last year, who exactly was our easiest position filled with???
...A guy who averaged 97.2 yards from scrimmage (10th among RBs) in the 10 games he played.

And when he got hurt, Ahmed (who we basically pulled off the streets) gave us 83 ypg rushing on 4.46 ypc in 3 starts. Sadly he got hurt too.

How many other positions can you put in an unrostered player as starter in an emergency situation and get completely adequate production?

If Skura/Dieter don't work out at center, I can guarentee you that situation has roughly a zero percent chance of being salvaged during the season by an undrafted, previously waived, practice squad player.

The fact we had nothing at RB and Ahmed came in and gave us what he did is evidence of how much easier it is to find a functional RB compared to ANY other position.

Iggy was a good insurance pick in case X didn't make a entire season which has been the case many seasons in the past and face it he played because? Someone was out those first couple of games is why Iggy played. Plus the back end of the first round does not guarantee sucess. That all being said Flores is pretty good at aquiring secondary talent it wasn't to long ago that everyone was questioning Nick Needham plus using Eric Rowe and Bobby MeCain at safety. Well how did that work out?

Iggy was a good insurance pick in case X didn't make a entire season which has been the case many seasons in the past and face it he played because? Someone was out those first couple of games is why Iggy played. Plus the back end of the first round does not guarantee sucess. That all being said Flores is pretty good at aquiring secondary talent it wasn't to long ago that everyone was questioning Nick Needham plus using Eric Rowe and Bobby MeCain at safety. Well how did that work out?
Judging by the Week 17 Thrashing the Bills gave us...not great. The Holland pick shows Flores/Grier saw what I saw.
Needham often played to his draft position. Sometimes he played a little better. Sometimes. There certainly were NO Earl Thomas-like safeties on our roster. We were Very susceptible to the deep ball. So, 'Rowe'? Im not impressed.
The Byron Jones signing...'BLECCHH!'
He was supposed to at least stay with receivers and defend, if not intercept (cuz he's not a 'hands guy'), but he got Super Burned Way Too Often for his Outrageous salary and cap hit.
Is there a more overpaid player in the NFL?
Jones is so bad that X Howard still has Miami over a barrell. Even if Iggy pans out Miami has to overpay Howard.

Judging by the Week 17 Thrashing the Bills gave us...not great. The Holland pick shows Flores/Grier saw what I saw.
Needham often played to his draft position. Sometimes he played a little better. Sometimes. There certainly were NO Earl Thomas-like safeties on our roster. We were Very susceptible to the deep ball. So, 'Rowe'? Im not impressed.
The Byron Jones signing...'BLECCHH!'
He was supposed to at least stay with receivers and defend, if not intercept (cuz he's not a 'hands guy'), but he got Super Burned Way Too Often for his Outrageous salary and cap hit.
Is there a more overpaid player in the NFL?
Jones is so bad that X Howard still has Miami over a barrell. Even if Iggy pans out Miami has to overpay Howard.
Rowe and McCain both surprised imo, McCain a slot corner and Rowe a retread cb had played well and better than their former positions. McCain is a bit small for the position and he was nicked up way to much.
X let's face it has also been hurt much to much and great talent is no talent on the bench.
Flores has been using bandaides in FA and roster churns getting his guys through the draft.
Iggy is his guy while Jones fills a void for now and maybe X stays on the field and if he does not well.

Back
Top Bottom