Hank Goldberg Says... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hank Goldberg Says...

The lack of knowledge and assumptions about Chan Gailey in this section of the site are STUNNING.

Some comments aren't from a "lack of knowledge" at all.

His style is and has been clearly visable for all to see.
As I posted before.
You can certainly get places conservatively.
It's just that once you start playing the teams that are really going places, it takes a little more in the game planning, stategy and adjustment phases of the game.
Especially in the NFL where teams can be so similar in talent levels with the salary cap.

I don't think we'll get that from him.
Maybe the OC we hire can mesh with him and spruce up his philosophy a little. I hope that will be the case.

What do some of you people expect when a coach leaves you for a college team? For all the best coaches to quit their current jobs and come join the fins?

We don't have much to choose from. I understand we need a coach that's going to stick around for awhile but if the timing isn't right or the people that are available aren't right, then we shouldn't force the issue. Yes, we need a young guy to come in with some fire and to stick around for awhile. But that guy isn't there yet.

Maybe Gailiey does a decent job, sets us up for success and we hire someone internally. Maybe Jason Gerrett is that guy...

Everyone talks about finding someone for the future. If the guy isn't there i'd much rather have someone like Gailey that will hold the job down, improve the team, possibly get us a playoff birth, all the while grooming someone else to take over till Gailey retires.

I don't think it matters anyways.

I don't see anything bright about this franchise's future, and it's been that way for a while. I guess that's why I favor the younger coaches.........

Under your SN it reads "Keeping the faith." You could have fooled me.

No, I expected a young guy to come in and restore some fire and build us a dynasty. I didnt expect a 1yr turnaround for a SB run, I expected a young HC would come in and restore us to being a longterm viable franchise.

If anything, the hiring of Mora or Gailey signifies that we are yet again pretending we are loaded for a SB run and that all we need is a different experienced coach.

Sorry, this just blows and is about the most dissapointed ive been in teh fins in awhile and thats saying something. What the heck happened to this franchise? :confused:

I hear ya. This is a black day as far as I'm concerned. First Brohm announces he's going to stay and then rather then bust out the ferrraris we go to the used car lot and pick a retread.

If fat Hank says it is Gailey, then put your money on Mora.
I feel you on that one. He said that Jim Bates would be the leading candidate when Saban left. I think all that sweat is seeping through his fat head and effecting his thought process. I hate looking at him, almost as much as Jason Cole.

No, I expected a young guy to come in and restore some fire and build us a dynasty. I didnt expect a 1yr turnaround for a SB run, I expected a young HC would come in and restore us to being a longterm viable franchise.

If anything, the hiring of Mora or Gailey signifies that we are yet again pretending we are loaded for a SB run and that all we need is a different experienced coach.

Sorry, this just blows and is about the most dissapointed ive been in teh fins in awhile and thats saying something. What the heck happened to this franchise? :confused:

There is an understandable, but misguided, notion that a young unproven is the best choice because there is no dirt on him. That is a huge gamble. He may be the next Sean Payton or Mangini, but much more often than not he is the next Mike Tice, Mike Riley, Dave Shula, Chris Palmer etc. etc.

In fact Sean Payton hasn't done anything yet that Jim Mora Jr. didn't. Though having Brees, Bush, and McCallister instead of Vick, Dunn, and Duckett, suggests that he might.

Tomlin, B.Schottenheimer, Cameron, and Whisenhunt are all very sexy choices because in the fan imagination they can become anything that you want. And as a fan, I'll admit that any of them allow me to daydream that they could become the next Shula. I don't pretend that either Mora Jr. or Gailey make me feel that way. But that doesn't mean they aren't better candidates than the unproven ones we fall in love with.

This years playoffs
Dungy. Fired from Tampa Bay
Marty. Fired from Washington
Coughlin. Fired from Jacksonville
Belichick. Fired from Cleveland

Gotta figure there's someone in wayne's mind that's still coaching and wayne can't make a run at until that team is out of the playoffs. Bears/Rivera, Chargers/Cameron
Can only hope, gailey sucked as the Fins OC. Besides, Georgia Tech is no pwerhouse under his reign.

I hear ya. This is a black day as far as I'm concerned. First Brohm announces he's going to stay and then rather then bust out the ferrraris we go to the used car lot and pick a retread.

It's pretty sad in the phins camp these days. How pathetic are we getting? Brian Shott was our best option, now its down to the leftover loosers.

Chan looked like a total chump this year playing a pathetic QB (Ball) all season until he got hurt - how pathetic, reminded me of sticking with Jay for all those years.

It's pretty sad in the phins camp these days. How pathetic are we getting? Brian Shott was our best option, now its down to the leftover loosers.

Chan looked like a total chump this year playing a pathetic QB (Ball) all season until he got hurt - how pathetic, reminded me of sticking with Jay for all those years.

I know. If Chan is our coach we'll go back to running the ball which is good but will only take you so far. Ronnie Brown's career will probably be shortened by a couple of years after the pounding he takes in 07

i dont see why we would assume the offense would shrink under a shell under gailey. we used a lot 5-wide looks under gailey

look at jay fiedler's career stats. he had two good years:

'01 under gailey, throwing for 3,200 yards 20 TDs, 19 ints with an 80 qb rating with lamar smith and rookie chambers

'02 under norv turner with the injury shortened year (11 games) did well, 2000 yards, 14 TDs, 9 ints and 85 rating with ricky williams and rookie mcmichael

im not even an advocate for chan. i just dont think he will tank the offense

i dont see why we would assume the offense would shrink under a shell under gailey. we used a lot 5-wide looks under gailey

look at jay fiedler's career stats. he had two good years:

'01 under gailey, throwing for 3,200 yards 20 TDs, 19 ints with an 80 qb rating with lamar smith and rookie chambers

'02 under norv turner with the injury shortened year (11 games) did well, 2000 yards, 14 TDs, 9 ints and 85 rating with ricky williams and rookie mcmichael

im not even an advocate for chan. i just dont think he will tank the offense

I dont think so either, but he's not going to do anything but run of the mill. It really is going to come down to our offensive line because they are going to be leaned on heavily next year

Brian Shott was our best option, now its down to the leftover loosers

wow....

may i ask why? what experience does he have ? jets OC? good lord...

did you know Gailey took over an aging dallas team thar went 6-10 and went 10-6 his 1st year and did you also know that was the LAST nfc east title the boys won? did you know he made the playoffs both his years in dallas, and was run out by super bowl or bust owner and fans just a few years removed from 3 of 4 sb champs?

it's amazing how some ppl get so enamoured and fall in love with "NAMES" ....

I do.

I know the arguments for him.
I've read all who've offered them.

Regardless of many defending him I can't shake the memory of what I saw while he was here.

Yeah, we got production out of a ragtag group.
Product of the D we had putting us in great positions during games. We also had a good OL at that point and we were able to grind it out against defensively weaker teams. You can get away with conservative for awhile and against certain teams.

There comes a point however, where the coaching staff needs to help it's players to put them in good positions to make plays. When you start playing top echelon teams that are matched equally to you or have more strong points than you do, strategy, game planning and adjustments become very important.

That's where Gailey fails now and will fail here.
He'll do the same grind it out straightforward philosophy.
You can forget about different formations to disguise certain plays IMO. He'll be predictable and stay the course no matter what.

It may work against some teams but it'll kill us against top teams. JMO. It's exactly what I saw while he was here and he certainly hasn't changed his stripes while at GT.

If he's hired I'll of course hold out hope but I sure won't be feeling any excitement about this team deep down.

I'm not trying to change you're point of view here Trekbiz, but there are alot of contrasts in what you wrote, IMO.

What's wrong with scoring points that are a product of a defense? Actually, that's something this offense has been lacking...the ability to turn TOs into points, turning good field position into points, and to be able to score TDs. Had we been able to consistently score on weaker defensive teams, or times when the defense had benefited us with field position or TOs, our record would be much different.

There is nothing wrong with conservative. It worked for the Ravens in 2000. It worked for Pittsburgh last year (for the most part Pittsburgh was fairly vanilla with the occassional Antwaan Randel-El WR Pass...haha). It's working for Chicago this year. If that is your personnel and running the football and playing defense is your strength, what's wrong with riding the horses until the end?

You wrote that you read about how we got production out of a ragtag group, well isn't that "helping it's players to put them in good positions to make plays"? If you could do what he did with names he had on offense, I'd say that is a pretty estimation of the great strategizing, gameplanning, "thinking out of the box" needed for the offense. You don't have to run different formations to disguise plays...You just have to run those plays they way they are drawn up.

Back
Top Bottom