Happy Birthday Brother Gonzo! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Happy Birthday Brother Gonzo!

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Shane I hope you had a great day! Happy Birthday bro!

gRRjS.gif

[video=youtube;hgL-s36L5Q4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgL-s36L5Q4[/video]

Have a good one brother :brewskis:

Thanks!

Celebrating with a glass or three of:

Widow_Jane_1176140_i0.jpg

Happy birthday, you giggling sack of anal warts.

Here's a letter from Hunter Thompson to Anthony Burgess as a present.

gallery-1452179744-hunter-thompson-rejection.png

Burgess was the author of A Clockwork Orange, by the way.

Happy B-day!

(Still counts as the same day if you haven't finished drinking yet. :up:)

And if you haven't read Burgess's introduction to updated American text, you are missing out. https://thefloatinglibrary.com/2009/04/20/a-clockwork-orange-resucked/

I'm trying to work up the energy and time to tackle The Complete Enderby, but as of now, it just sits on my bookshelf.

I've never read that but that missing end is part of the lore of the book and the movie. Iirc Kubrick was not originally aware of the 21st chapter but did become aware of it during the writing process and hated it (for what seems to me to be obvious reasons). There's a good chance that if his original copy had had that last chapter he never would have made the movie at all. The movie after all is not so much about Alex as a human being but Alex as a representation of societal evil. That evil cannot be wiped out without destroying something even more important -- choice. Burgess' concept for that last chapter butt ****s that theme with a pineapple.

I've never read the book myself. My brother has and seemed sort of meh about it. He had a copy with the last chapter. I did like that Burgess seemed to recognize that the last chapter would come off -- or does -- as didactic and boring. But he can't quite bring himself to part with it because it's the entire reason he wrote the book in the first place. As I recall his initial inspiration was the fact that his wife was brutally beaten by some hoodlums and A Clockwork Orange was his way of working through that experience.

But all of us out here in the world don't have to give a **** why he wrote the novel any more than an appreciation of A Christmas Carol has to be affected by the fact that Dickens wrote it quickly when his career was in the ****ter in the hopes of scoring a hit big enough to cover some debts.

Back
Top Bottom