Hardest Cuts Will Be At Wr And Te? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hardest Cuts Will Be At Wr And Te?

It seems like those two spots will be the hardest cuts to make. Lets say we keep 4 TE's which is not a given. We have right now,
Allen
Gesicki
Smythe
O'leary
Waldorf who had a couple of nice catches the other night.

Then at WR,
Wilson
Grant
Stills
Parker
Williams
Ford
Hurns
Butler

And of course we'll be hard pressed to find 5 O-line guys we want to keep but we'll carry at least 8 or maybe 9 on the 53.

Simple math would be to trade either a TE or a WR for O-line help. The problem of course is nobody wants to trade O-line away but there's always a desperate team that needs help at some position.

This is just my opinion but I think trading Stills would be the move to make. Not because he's a bad player that I want to get rid of but rather, he's probably good enough that we could help a good player in return for him. Of course we don't really know if Wilson or Grant will be healthy week one or if they will be able to stay healthy but we need help up front and I don't see any other position where we can spare a player.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if wilson or Grant start the season on PUP. And I doubt anyone will trade for Ford, Hurns, or Butler. Even then, someone like Grant or Gesicki won't get much - certainly no OLman capable of starting.

Wilson makes the most sense to me to try and trade.

He's dynamic but injured and costly.

Josh Rosen might be here for a decade+. I'm looking for guys who can be his teammate for the long haul. Preston Williams might make quite a few guys expendable soon enough.

Stills most value still day 3 return though which does u nothing ammo wise.

Wilson off a hip i seriously doubt anyone takes from you.

Hurns and butler jags ford still trying to figure out. Leaning towards jag cause that’s not a great body for the slot

My vote would be to keep Stills, Parker and of course Williams together. They are all healthy and most likely to produce consistently. All have manageable contracts over the next two years (three for Williams) given their level of talent. It's the one position Miami has talent and depth because of these three and think it would be foolish to trade any of them right now unless there is exceptional return.

Wilson and Grant are wildcards with their injuries. Miami's offense went into significant decline once Wilson got injured last year, but hip injuries can linger and affect other parts of the body as it overcompensates so he is much more likely to be injury prone moving forward. Wilson also has the biggest cap hit in 2020 with a base salary of $9,475,000. But dang can that kid fly! Glad there is the possibility to use the PUP.

I trust the coaches in deciding who fits their scheme better between Ford, Hurns, Butler.

Miami is going to need solid blocking from TE to help the OL from getting our QBs killed so I would prefer keeping Allen, O'Leary and Smythe. I would be pleased if Miami is able to salvage a 7th for Gesicki at this point, ecstatic if they got a 6th.

Smythe is on tbe team. He had one bad play at the poa on a run where the edge stacked him maintained his shoulder and then won inside but he’s the best blocking tight end that was out there.

# 85 is intriguing to me. Not sure who that is

O’Leary is high effort but man that ceiling is average

Smythe is on tbe team. He had one bad play at the poa on a run where the edge stacked him maintained his shoulder and then won inside but he’s the best blocking tight end that was out there.

# 85 is intriguing to me. Not sure who that is

O’Leary is high effort but man that ceiling is average

85 is Chris Myarick.. 6 5 250lbs from Temple... got the good PFF grade for the game .....

Get rid of Stills and put the other camp fodder on the practice squad.

Pats offense usually carried 5-6 WRs on the active roster (2 more on the PS), 5-6 RBs and 2-3 TEs.
Since we will have a hybrid offense our roster will look much the same.

The number of WRs and who we will keep will depend on the RBs and how many are capable to be put into the passing game. Same with TEs.

Right now we have 10WRs. You could expect maybe two cuts (at most). RBs we are standing at 6 on the roster. Not much cuts expected there (unless we pick another RB up). The biggest cuts on offense will be at TE. We have currently 6 on the roster and I expect us to go with 2 maybe 3 into the season.

Most cuts will come in the secondary. We currently have 17. The Flores defense carries about 10-12 (of which a couple may be on the (PS).
The other big cuts will come at LB. Flores' defense carries about 6 LBs and we have currently 10.

Yes, can’t see him re signing here, just not sure what we could get in return, for any of the WR’s actually. Probably along the lines of what the Th ghost posted.

Maybe near cut day you could make a player for player trade but those don't happen with much frequency.
If Stills doesn’t resign perhaps we get a comp pick for him?

It seems like those two spots will be the hardest cuts to make. Lets say we keep 4 TE's which is not a given. We have right now,
Allen
Gesicki
Smythe
O'leary
Waldorf who had a couple of nice catches the other night.

Then at WR,
Wilson
Grant
Stills
Parker
Williams
Ford
Hurns
Butler

And of course we'll be hard pressed to find 5 O-line guys we want to keep but we'll carry at least 8 or maybe 9 on the 53.

Simple math would be to trade either a TE or a WR for O-line help. The problem of course is nobody wants to trade O-line away but there's always a desperate team that needs help at some position.

This is just my opinion but I think trading Stills would be the move to make. Not because he's a bad player that I want to get rid of but rather, he's probably good enough that we could help a good player in return for him. Of course we don't really know if Wilson or Grant will be healthy week one or if they will be able to stay healthy but we need help up front and I don't see any other position where we can spare a player.
Spot on @Danny !

At TE, I think we can call Gesicki and Allen locks. I figured O'Leary would be the odd man out with Smythe and Walford fighting for the 3rd spot … but it seems O'Leary has shown very well in preseason practices, and Walford had a good preseason game 1, so it's probably a free-for-all for the 3rd and/or 4th spot. Whomever doesn't make it will be one of the few cut Dolphins that might actually be picked up by another team.

At WR, we're really in a good spot. I agree with your list and order entirely, and would guess the top 5 (including Preston Williams) will make the team. It's going to be hard to justify 4 TE's and 5 WR's plus 1 FB, so either a TE or RB slot will be sacrificed to get our FB onto the roster. At WR, I think I'd keep an eye out for soft injuries with guys who the team may want to stash on the short term IR. Parker is always a good candidate there.

@The Ghost has it right though, any peripheral trades will be for late round draft picks. If we're going to upgrade positions such as OL, we're probably doing it through the waiver wire and late cuts.

Oh yeah … please fix the autocorrect … I keep typing Walford and it keeps autocorrecting it to Waldorf … he's a former U of M TE, not a salad for crying out loud!

How many LB will we keep? That group may be a tough cut.

Baker
Mcmillian
Kiko
Eguevoen
Watson
Hanks
AVG
Hull
Allen
Poling

I'd guess the last 3 are definitely gone, but all the rest have looked pretty impressive at some point.

If we really think Williams can keep his nose clean and is ready to play, I think Parker could be a tradeable asset. He would net us the best gain in terms of the cap and I could see a WR desperate team taking a chance on his ceiling and the fact that he has two years left on his contract at a reasonable cost. But I don't think we would try this unles we feel 2 out of the 3 of Hurns, Grant and Wilson are healthy and able to contribute, and the Williams is gonna be a player from day 1.

We should cut Geisicki, he seems to be the worst of the bunch.
Why in the world would you do that? His rookie deal doesn't cost much, and he wasn't given an opportunity to use his unique skills under Gase.

IDK if he will ever be a top TE, but I wouldn't hang the "bust" label on him quite yet.

You do know cutting a player is not the same as trading one, right?

Back
Top Bottom