Has anyone here seen Derrick Hamilton play for Clemson? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has anyone here seen Derrick Hamilton play for Clemson?

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I just saw a mock draft that's got us taking Andrews at 20(no surprised)and Hamilton in round 3. I read on him and they say he's a playmaker that Clemson didn't use him much cos they ran the ball more.Just for what I read he could be a good slot player for us. If Mike Williams is a no go on draft day then we might not take a WR like Evans cos he might be gone so I'm looking at other options. If anyone saw him play just tell me what you think of him.

Ozzy rules!!

Hamilton is one of my favorite prospects at receiver who could be available in the third. He's got good size at about 6'3/195. I haven't seen anything but highlights, other than a view times when I was switching around TV...I saw a couple of live TD's by Hamilton. He's a good route runner, he's has a nice vert, & he does a great job of getting separation(key). Hamilton can also return punts. Reminds me a bit of a taller Dre Davis without as much blazing speed.

If you just look at his body(can't really tell from the picture below), he definately has the frame to add more weight.
clear.gif

If D.H. is there in the 3rd & we haven't selected a receiver yet, he'd be a great pick.

I really like Colbert, but I doubt he's there.

I'm an ACC boy so I'm fairly familiar with Hamilton...he's definitely a play-maker but he just didn't get the touches as Whitehurst didn't get him the ball enough...but when he did, DH did some damage...he's a very nifty player who I can see some team possibly getting a steal with in the 3rd round...of course this draft is so loaded with WRs, who knows who will break out from the 3rd round and beyond...

Here are Hamilton's numbers from last year:

SEASON REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2003 - 62 1026 16.5 10 17 111 6.5 0

Thanks a lot for the info guys. It sound like he could be better in the NFL that he was in college if he goes to the right team.

Ozzy rules!!

Noodle is da Man!

I went to Clemson so yes I've seen him play and here's the scoop.

The Good
Tall, fast, ELUSIVE, playmaker

The Bad
Inconsistent hands, will lay it on the ground

Summary
I'd take him in a heartbeat in the 3rd round and give him a hard look late in the second. He'll be a player whereever he lands.

I attended this game. http://clemson.theinsiders.com/2/76322.html

It was pretty much a pathetic effort for all involved. It was Charlie Whitehurst's Freshman year so not very much can be assessed through stats. I don't think much can be attained by looking at 2003 stats neither.

Just from my observation this program has went through an extreme makeover in the past couple of years. When Tommy Bowden arrived he attempted to open things up with high percentage passes as he did in Tulane with a previously run oriented program. Derrick Hamilton was one of his first signings and it was balleyhood as a major coup for the program by the local press.

The problem is that no passing QB with the pedigree to read the field ever emerged out of the program. For the most part prior to Whitehurst Clemson had an excellent athlete at QB. In Hamilton's first year he had Woodrow Dantzler at QB. As you can see here -->http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6300/ he wasn't a pure passing QB and now resides in Atlanta as a RB. Drafted by Dallas he was immediately made a special teamer.

Willie Simmons was to be the next QB and in 2001 he filled in for an injured Woodrow Dantzler and most Clemson fans thought we had the pure passer we needed for Bowden to find the success he had in Tulane. It seemed as if in his first couple of years he was attempting to find the same passing success as he had experienced in Tulane.

Then South Carolina fired Brad Scott and CU picked him up immediately as offensive coordinator. That was Whitehurst's freshman year (2002) and it became clear that even as a freshman Whitehurst was a better option than Willie Simmons. Simmons remained the backup through 2003.

It seemed to me that Brad Scott had a larger commitment to the run than his predecessor in 2001. He probably had no choice as Whitehurst was a freshman. A highly touted pocket passing freshman at that. I think he ranked in the top five QB's coming out of high school by RIVALS. But still there was a learning curve.

I think 2003 was actually a building year for the program. A dominant runner had not been seen since 2002 with Bernard Rambert and even he wasn't very dominant. In 2003 I think the skills of Duane Coleman were "flirted with" and the program actually is looking forward to showcasing Coleman (sophmore) and Whitehurst (sophmore) in 2004.

In other words I think Hamilton got lost in all the change. The program has changed coordinators in Hamilton's college career. The program has changed QB three times in his college career. I would have liked to have seen what he could do in 2004 but he's leaving early. :mad:

What I can tell you most definately about the live performance against Maryland in 2002. NO CLEMSON RECEIVER ON THE FIELD GOT ANY SEPERATION and I was extremely disappointed with Hamilton. Then again that was a Maryland team that finished 11-3 with losses only to Norte Dame, Florida State, and Virginia. A Maryland team that feature Vikings linebacker E.J. Henderson in the defense. Maryland ended the season defeated Tennessee in the peach bowl. Still the Clemson/Maryland game was a disgrace for Clemson fans. I thought if Bowden continued showcasing the passing game he had once had success with he would be a goner.

As I stated before 2003 more balance emerged out of the offense and the offense of 1998 Tulane didn't resemble the offense of Clemson 2003 at all. Alot of fans were actually asking for Bowden's head prior to the BLOWOUT of South Carolina and the excellent run oriented game plan versus Tennessee in the 2003 Peach bowl.

I quess I could conclude this by saying Hamilton was in the middle of a mess. :lol: We never did see his true potential as the program was always in some sort of change. He would have been a Senior this year though. It would have been Brad Scott's third year with the program with an ace at RB (Junior Duane Coleman) and a Junior at QB that is noted by Scouts as a top ten QB now!

:cry:

Being the ACC fan that I am, I've seen Hamilton play numerous times. He's definintely a playmaker. But, if he dosen't get enough touches, he ends up as much as negative as he would be positive (ala Randy Moss). I think he maybe should have stayed one more season, especially considering the depth at WR in this years draft. But for the mid rounds, he could be a very good pick.

Back
Top Bottom