hate that we changed the offensive line today | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hate that we changed the offensive line today

I believe from what I have read the Texans attempted to move Davenport to LT where he really struggles from RT where he played adequate. We are doing the same. While this coaching staff appears scheme wise and motivational wise getting this team to play up why they have guys like Davenport, McCain and the recently departed Mica F playing in positions where they struggle is a mystery. Would be interesting to know what they see.

Not during a season full of cast offs and developmental players. We were expected to lose almost every game.

Are we though? Not according to a lot of posts I’ve read on this site in the last 3 weeks (I’m not inclined either way just playing devils advocate) furthermore, it could also be argued that the off is in a similar shape to the def they’re both in similar s**t shapes it’s not just the def or am I missing something..... was this off expected to get us close to anything?

It's all a major problem, and by having one single solid guy on the line you could improve everyone else's play. But I'm not sure how anyone could have watched Davenport yesterday and thought LT isn't a problem anyway.

Don't disagree, except by priority. Boehm and Davis should be penciled in as starters, if only because I doubt Miami will replace 5 starting OLmen. Prince and Deiter may be OK next year, but their body of work THIS year isn't comforting. Probably 2-3 new faces in '20

No way either Humphreys or baidasz make it to the second round. I'm pushing for Humphreys with our 1c.
The rest of this year is like to see Boehm at C, Prince at RT and kick Davis back inside at RG.

My plan is simple, and you do not have to fix the line in one year, just get a quality linemen (or two if possible without destroying that cap), get one linemen in the draft that you expect to start.

The following year, depending how the line looked in 2020, do it all over again in 2021 for any part of the line that did not measure up.

My plan is simple, and you do not have to fix the line in one year, just get a quality linemen (or two if possible without destroying that cap), get one linemen in the draft that you expect to start.

The following year, depending how the line looked in 2020, do it all over again in 2021 for any part of the line that did not measure up.

Agree. Signing FAs does NOT mean spending loads on 'elite' talent.

Keep this fact in mind: The Dolphins coaching staff has a strong connection with the Patriots free agents entering the 2020 off season.

With the enormous cap room and the years of relationship in the Dolphins favor, the Dolphins should be favorites to sign LG Joe Thuney. Thuney is still young and is elite at his position. I'd try to sign him to a six year deal.

This would allow for Deiter to compete with Boehm at center(Kilgore will be long gone) and possibly at RG. Deiter spent a year at Wisconsin playing center. The guy has experience at all three OL positions.

This is the best case scenario for the 2020 Dolphins OL.

Dolphins win the trade battle for Trent Williams and sign him to a five year extension. LT position is now elite.
Nobody out there in need of a LT could compete with the Dolphins draft and cap capital. If Trent would be willing to sign an extension this move would be an absolute coup for the Dolphins. Trent has beyond freakish athleticism. He should have another 6-7 years of elite play left in him.

Dolphins indeed acquire LG Joe Thuney in free agency. LG is now elite.

Boehm and Deiter battle for the starting center position and the result is a very good center in 2020 and some really nice depth.

Dolphins draft Tristan Wirfs with the pick from the Steelers and play him at RG where he quickly becomes an All-Pro. Think Quentin Nelson/Brandon Brooks/

Jesse Davis,Isaiah Prince, Davenport, and a 2020 undrafted rookie free agent all compete for the starting RT and swing tackle positions resulting in a quality player at RT and nice depth..

Yes, if Jack Conklin or another quality veteran RT just falls into our lap, then ya, of course we sign them.

With our good coaching this OL would be at least top five.

I think they did this because Webb has been god awful. Wingfield did the all 22 breakdown last week and we left multiple plays on the field vs Indy due to Webb's struggles. I guess what I'm saying is maybe they feel Davenport is better than Webb which really isn't saying all that much.

Keep this fact in mind: The Dolphins coaching staff has a strong connection with the Patriots free agents entering the 2020 off season.

With the enormous cap room and the years of relationship in the Dolphins favor, the Dolphins should be favorites to sign LG Joe Thuney. Thuney is still young and is elite at his position. I'd try to sign him to a six year deal.

This would allow for Deiter to compete with Boehm at center(Kilgore will be long gone) and possibly at RG. Deiter spent a year at Wisconsin playing center. The guy has experience at all three OL positions.

This is the best case scenario for the 2020 Dolphins OL.

Dolphins win the trade battle for Trent Williams and sign him to a five year extension. LT position is now elite.
Nobody out there in need of a LT could compete with the Dolphins draft and cap capital. If Trent would be willing to sign an extension this move would be an absolute coup for the Dolphins. Trent has beyond freakish athleticism. He should have another 6-7 years of elite play left in him.

Dolphins indeed acquire LG Joe Thuney in free agency. LG is now elite.

Boehm and Deiter battle for the starting center position and the result is a very good center in 2020 and some really nice depth.

Dolphins draft Tristan Wirfs with the pick from the Steelers and play him at RG where he quickly becomes an All-Pro. Think Quentin Nelson/Brandon Brooks/

Jesse Davis,Isaiah Prince, Davenport, and a 2020 undrafted rookie free agent all compete for the starting RT and swing tackle positions resulting in a quality player at RT and nice depth..

Yes, if Jack Conklin or another quality veteran RT just falls into our lap, then ya, of course we sign them.

With our good coaching this OL would be at least top five.

Just because Miami has cap space doesn't mean they'll spend big. I doubt they go for two top OLmen

The front four not able to get any pressure whatsoever the entire day is very disheartening.
I know right and then you see Calhoun and Reed inactive, both guards who I believe are better run blockers than what we had out there. When you have a run game and in particular a back in KB who is struggling massively I don’t see the logic in leaving players that can help the situation inactive... unless... tank..

[B]Ian Rapoport[/B]‏Verified account @[B]RapSheet[/B]

#Texans OL Seantrel Henderson, who has been on the non-football injury list, is being released off the NFI, source said. The issue was from a slight back injury, but he’s healthy now. Could provide quality depth at a need position.

.....hey another guy to throw into the OL merry go round

Last edited:
It's a big part of it. Davenport/Webb along with Deiter who can get lost in pass blocking has been bad. I'm not at all sorry they traded Tunsil because you don't need a high end LT, but you can't have the combination of Webb/Davenport either.
The thing with Tunsil is more than just the picks though.

They knew he would command top dollar in FA, and were unlikely to pay him what it would cost in a bidding war. Yes, you could franchise him, but that only prolongs the situation, and has the potential to cause bad feelings.

When the opportunity presented itself, they moved him. It may not have been the best thing in an immediate sense, but as a move looking to the future, given the compensation, it was almost impossible to pass up.

IOW, I can't complain about the trade, even if it hurt like hell this year.

Back
Top Bottom