hate that we changed the offensive line today | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hate that we changed the offensive line today

webb needs to play if healthy. davenport is awful. Kilgore is getting worse. we are better with Boehm at c and Calhoun at g. also want to see more prince. I didn't think he played at that bad when he started that one game

Just me, but 32 (when next season starts) might be too old for a team in year 2 of a complete rebuild. By the time Miami is ready to compete he might be 33, 34, maybe injured, long in the tooth getting paid big money.
On the other hand, he would give a young QB a legit veteran LT. While a younger dude is developing waiting to take over

Spend big but not spend it all. Some will be saved for '21

Yes and 21 will be another boon as Reshad Jones and Bobby McCain and a couple other guys money falls off the books.

Dolphins will be players in free agency in 2020 and 2021.

I'd rather use high picks on playmakers (offense or defense), but if they burn one on a stud olineman I'll live.

I'd rather spend money on young, proven olinemen and swing for the fences in the draft.
I'd do just the opposite, I think we need 3 oline with our first 5 pics. Oline is main reason we have stunk for 20 years.

I'd do just the opposite, I think we need 3 oline with our first 5 pics. Oline is main reason we have stunk for 20 years.
I know.

I don't want to roll the dice on oline draft picks.

I don't want to wait for them to develop.

I want young, proven veterans.

I don't want to use high picks for anything we can buy in free agency.

I'm sure we will draft olinemen, it just wouldn't be my preferred route to building our line.

Miami has no one in the Front Office who can evaluate/recognize o-line talent outside of the first round, and IMO even their recent first round o-line picks weren't what I would consider tough and physically dominating! I'm sick and tired of seeing Miami's o-line pushed around and dominated by tough, physical d-lines, and this has been a major problem ever since Philbin took over the team and wanted finesse rather than tough and physical. Gase also went with finesse, and I was really hoping that Flores and Grier would have put more effort and resources into replacing Gase's ENTIRE o-line. I understand that they need to rebuild the entire roster, but it's impossible to properly evaluate offensive skill position players when your o-line can't stop anyone. IMO, they just wasted a year by failing to focus on rebuilding the trenches first!

You've been saying this for years bro, and I always agree with you. But this time I have a few exceptions.

First, we havent rebuilt the trenches because we havent begun rebuilding yet. We are still in the tear-down phase. All I have seen so far this year is an extended pre-season with weekly experiments plugging guys into different positions and seeing what sticks. I am still confident that Flores and Googs will rebuild this oline the way you and I prefer. Big, strong, roadgrader types rather than the finesse guys that Philbin and Gase loved so much.

And second, I cant hold the current FO to the prior FO failures. I know Grier has been there the whole time, but he has had the foresight to bring in guys like Reggie McKenzie, which will go a long way toward improving the caliber of our draft picks.

They played much better with Boehm at Center. Kilgore is back and they regressed, you tell me...
I don't think Kilgore is as strong as Boehm, either that or he's just not healthy yet. You are right, Boehm at Center going forward wouldn't bother me. I got to watch a guy named Dwight Stephenson play the position for the Fins. He was freaking awesome!! Believe me, I'm not comparing!

I know.

I don't want to roll the dice on oline draft picks.

I don't want to wait for them to develop.

I want young, proven veterans.

I don't want to use high picks for anything we can buy in free agency.

I'm sure we will draft olinemen, it just wouldn't be my preferred route to building our line.
Totally agree. Get oline in free agency and we know what we're getting. Draft oline and we don't know how they'll do. I'd get two starting oline guys in free agency and then draft one with one of our top 5 picks. That makes it 3 to go along with Boehm,Dieter, Webb and Davis.

Get skill players in the draft.

Totally agree. Get oline in free agency and we know what we're getting. Draft oline and we don't know how they'll do. I'd get two starting oline guys in free agency and then draft one with one of our top 5 picks. That makes it 3 to go along with Boehm,Dieter, Webb and Davis.

Get skill players in the draft.
Plus selfishly avoiding Tunsil comparisons if we take a tackle with a very high pick (we should have kept Tunsil!!! hysteria. I can definitely live without that).

You've been saying this for years bro, and I always agree with you. But this time I have a few exceptions.

First, we havent rebuilt the trenches because we havent begun rebuilding yet. We are still in the tear-down phase. All I have seen so far this year is an extended pre-season with weekly experiments plugging guys into different positions and seeing what sticks. I am still confident that Flores and Googs will rebuild this oline the way you and I prefer. Big, strong, roadgrader types rather than the finesse guys that Philbin and Gase loved so much.

And second, I cant hold the current FO to the prior FO failures. I know Grier has been there the whole time, but he has had the foresight to bring in guys like Reggie McKenzie, which will go a long way toward improving the caliber of our draft picks.

Point taken... maybe I'm just jumping the gun a bit. I was hoping for a quicker turnaround; using the first year to both tear down while simultaneously rebuilding (at least some of) the trenches.

Back
Top Bottom