Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

Are you serious!?! Our front office traded out of a spot that could of landed a hall of famer for a worthless first round pick in the future?
Jeezzzzz this Grier guy is clown. Wanted to get more picks just so he could draft more bust's...

:bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole:
Possibly...yes. We will see how the board plays out. His gamble may work better than the past examples that set this franchise back...or it may be a repeat of past mistakes....the point of the thread! I see one unicorn like Randy Moss in this draft.

Wasn’t comparing the years...it was about the philosophy of trading down when there are special players on the board.

Sorry you didn’t understand it!

I understand that your throwing a premptive hissy fit telling everyone on Finheaven that the Dolphins have to draft the guy you think is special, not them.

If the Dolphins had drafted Gronkowski instead of Koa Misi at 40, would your “theory” still hold any water with you.

Last edited:
Possibly...yes. We will see how the board plays out. His gamble may work better than the past examples that set this franchise back...or it may be a repeat of past mistakes....the point of the thread! I see one unicorn like Randy Moss in this draft.
How many Super Bowls did Randy win again?

Grier and Flores are building a winning team. Beating the drum over and over again for a guy who has yet to play a down in the NFL is not what the FO wants for this team. I don't care how fast Pitts ran in his underwear I didn't want to draft a TE with the #3 overall pick. They are in the perfect spot for a playmaker and I don't care who it is.

How many Super Bowls did Randy win again?

Grier and Flores are building a winning team. Beating the drum over and over again for a guy who has yet to play a down in the NFL is not what the FO wants for this team. I don't care how fast Pitts ran in his underwear I didn't want to draft a TE with the #3 overall pick. They are in the perfect spot for a playmaker and I don't care who it is.
How many did Dan win?

Teams win games and Pitts is the playmaker mismatch above all the rest in this draft...not just a TE, only small thinking would view him that way when he has measurables and credentials of a “Megatron”.....

He didn’t drop one targeted pass in 2020.....

How many did Dan win?

Teams win games and Pitts is the playmaker mismatch above all the rest in this draft...not just a TE, only small thinking would view him that way when he has measurables and credentials of a “Megatron”.....

He didn’t drop one targeted pass in 2020.....
So what will you do if Pitts is on the board at #6 and we draft D. Smith. A playmaker is a playmaker and can get a TEAM were they want to be. I would love Pitts but some of you are turning me away from him with this nonsense that he is the greatest football player in history.

So what will you do if Pitts is on the board at #6 and we draft D. Smith. A playmaker is a playmaker and can get a TEAM were they want to be. I would love Pitts but some of you are turning me away from him with this nonsense that he is the greatest football player in history.
What can I do...? just like when they took Tua over Herbert... I will be disappointed but I will hope My strong gut feeling was wrong.

Smith was a nice college receiver on the strongest team nearly every week he lined up.

I don’t see Smith being the dominant player in the NFL that Pitts will be.

And....I seriously doubt they will choose a 160+ pound 6’1” receiver over a “Megatron” unicorn like Kyle Pitts...but there’s a very good chance Pitts doesn’t reach 6.

What can I do...? just like when they took Tua over Herbert... I will be disappointed but I will hope My strong gut feeling was wrong.

Smith was a nice college receiver on the strongest team nearly every week he lined up.

And....I seriously doubt they will choose a 160+ pound 6’1” receiver over a “Megatron” unicorn like Kyle Pitts...but there’s a very good chance Pitts doesn’t reach 6.
See, this is always my dilemna

Production vs potential. I am not saying Pitts didn't produce. But its clear people are enamored with his potential.

I always preferred production over potential with top 10 picks.

Tua was like that. If he wasn't injured, most analysts say he would have been the #1 pick. Who knows because he was hurt.

Tua was special in college, starting from his first game winning the championship.

Herbert was clearly a great QB in college, and would have made a solid QB in my mind.

I would have loved Herbert at 5 if Tua was already drafted.

However, if Tua was available he had to be the pick IMO.

I would have rather drafted Tua and him be a bust, than pass on him draft Herbert and Tua go on to be a hall of fame.

Similar situation here. I would rather draft the best player in college last year(Smith) then pass on him for a potential unicorn in Pitts. Only for Smith to go on being a hall of fame or whatever.

Either way, both players would help the team. I personally prefer, with a top 10 pick, to choose the guy who has already shown what he can rather than relying on potential.

Production vs potential. I am not saying Pitts didn't produce. But its clear people are enamored with his potential.

Tua was like that. If he wasn't injured, most analysts say he would have been the #1 pick. Who knows because he was hurt.

Tua was special in college, starting from his first game winning the championship.

Herbert was clearly a great QB in college, and would have made a solid QB in my mind.

I would have rather drafted Tua and him be a bust, than pass on him draft Herbert and Tua go on to be a hall of fame.

Similar situation here. I would rather draft the best player in college last year(Smith) then pass on him for a potential unicorn in Pitts. Only for Smith to go on being a hall of fame or whatever and Pitts has already shown his ceiling

Either way, both players would help the team. I personally prefer, with a top 10 pick, to choose the guy who has already shown what he can do rather than relying on potential

Are you serious!?! Our front office traded out of a spot that could of landed a hall of famer for a worthless first round pick in the future?
Jeezzzzz this Grier guy is clown. Wanted to get more picks just so he could draft more bust's...

:bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole::bobdole:

Are YOU serious?! Our front Office traded out of the 3# 1st round pick, that could be a boom or bust, for a lower #12
1st round pick that could be a boom or a bust and also received 2 other 1st round picks in the next 2 years and an other later round pick this year. Then traded up again, to the #6 pick by giving up one of our newly acquired 1st round picks and swapping a later round pick, all in order to have a better shot at a potential boom or bust player.

Is an additional future 1st round pick useless? Total "Lemming" Juice!

Is a 1st round pick a guaranteed HOF selectee? Total "Lemming" Droppings!

Are we likely to see your favorite player get picked? Maybe, maybe not, you don't know!

Are we likely to see improvement in our team due to multiple draft selections, some of which we traded back for? Very probably!

Why? Because the Front Office is infinitely more knowledgeable about the players and how the system works the you do. I know this from the teams record of growth the last two years. What's your record of growth, out side of a gift for hyperbole!

Similar situation here. I would rather draft the best player in college last year(Smith) then pass on him for a potential unicorn in Pitts. Only for Smith to go on being a hall of fame or whatever.

Either way, both players would help the team. I personally prefer, with a top 10 pick, to choose the guy who has already shown what he can rather than relying on potential.
Where we differ...Is I look at college players from programs like Alabama with a skeptical eye...because they have O-lines that dominate their opponents weekly, because a guy like Smith lined up with other highly graded receivers that made the weaker opponents defenses even more overwhelmed...etc etc etc

There are many examples of college players with huge production that were pretty mediocre in the NFL.

I look at the Florida-Alabama game last year....where Bama clearly was the better team overall...Florida’s defense last year was not very good....and Yet Kyle Pitts had a big hand in a near upset 52-46.

In the end though, there is no question that Kyle Pitts is a unicorn....20 years old(still growing...what?). 6’6” 246 pounds 4.46 40 (he actually wasn’t afraid to be tested)...largest wingspan in 20 years....didn’t drop a targeted pass in 2020. And...just turn on the film...a human that large moving that fast and athletically...that lines up all over the field...mismatch nightmare for NFL defenses.

I think Smith will have a good career in the NFL...but like many other college Heisman winners at the amateur level...the greatness doesn’t translate to the big leagues where a 160 pound receiver is going to get hit much harder.

I would consider Smith if they trade down again...or at 18...but not on the same level of Pitts or Chase...or Sewell at number 6.

Where we differ...Is I look at college players from programs like Alabama with a skeptical eye...because they have O-lines that dominate their opponents weekly, because a guy like Smith lined up with other highly graded receivers that made the weaker opponents defenses even more overwhelmed...etc etc etc

There are many examples of college players with huge production that were pretty mediocre in the NFL.

I look at the Florida-Alabama game last year....where Bama clearly was the better team overall...Florida’s defense last year was not very good....and Yet Kyle Pitts had a big hand in a near upset 52-46.

In the end though, there is no question that Kyle Pitts is a unicorn....20 years old(still growing...what?). 6’6” 246 pounds 4.46 40 (he actually wasn’t afraid to be tested)...largest wingspan in 20 years....didn’t drop a targeted pass in 2020. And...just turn on the film...a human that large moving that fast and athletically...that lines up all over the field...mismatch nightmare for NFL defenses.

I think Smith will have a good career in the NFL...but like many other college Heisman winners at the amateur level...the greatness doesn’t translate to the big leagues where a 160 pound receiver is going to get hit much harder.

I would consider Smith if they trade down again...or at 18...but not on the same level of Pitts or Chase...or Sewell at number 6.
I get it. I can't really argue with that logic.

All we can do is hope for the best.

In all reality its not like we traded out of the top 15. We are still getting a top talent regardless. We aren't passing on a top talent for 2nd tier guys.

Having extra picks help us do that.

I am looking forward to SF flopping so we get another top 10 pick next year Mwahaha.

Again, I would be happy with Pitts. I just prefer Smith
Pitts/smith/chase/sewell/ waddle any of them will make me happy. Waddle being my last preferrence

I get it. I can't really argue with that logic.

All we can do is hope for the best.

In all reality its not like we traded out of the top 15. We are still getting a top talent regardless. We aren't passing on a top talent for 2nd tier guys.

Having extra picks help us do that.

I am looking forward to SF flopping so we get another top 10 pick next year Mwahaha.

Again, I would be happy with Pitts. I just prefer Smith
Pitts/smith/chase/sewell/ waddle any of them will make me happy. Waddle being my last preferrence
A San Fran collapse would be amazing!

Are YOU serious?! Our front Office traded out of the 3# 1st round pick, that could be a boom or bust, for a lower #12
1st round pick that could be a boom or a bust and also received 2 other 1st round picks in the next 2 years and an other later round pick this year. Then traded up again, to the #6 pick by giving up one of our newly acquired 1st round picks and swapping a later round pick, all in order to have a better shot at a potential boom or bust player.

Is an additional future 1st round pick useless? Total "Lemming" Juice!

Is a 1st round pick a guaranteed HOF selectee? Total "Lemming" Droppings!

Are we likely to see your favorite player get picked? Maybe, maybe not, you don't know!

Are we likely to see improvement in our team due to multiple draft selections, some of which we traded back for? Very probably!

Why? Because the Front Office is infinitely more knowledgeable about the players and how the system works the you do. I know this from the teams record of growth the last two years. What's your record of growth, out side of a gift for hyperbole!
I understand your support of the organization and belief that they are never wrong...but just look back to the last draft where this organization passed on a vastly superior QB physically for one that was very unimpressive physically with a long injury history. and again I refer back to the examples stated of trading back on both a first rounder and second rounder in the same draft....and getting absolutely nothing from the extra draft picks...but losing out on special players.

Getting extra picks is no sure fire way to a better team....

And all of the above proves that the people running organizations are often wrong.

I understand your support of the organization and belief that they are never wrong...but just look back to the last draft where this organization passed on a vastly superior QB physically for one that was very unimpressive physically with a long injury history. and again I refer back to the examples stated of trading back on both a first rounder and second rounder in the same draft....and getting absolutely nothing from the extra draft picks...but losing out on special players.

Getting extra picks is no sure fire way to a better team....

And all of the above proves that the people running organizations are often wrong.

10-6

Back
Top Bottom