Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

The more days go by, the closer we get to the draft the more I become convinced that we should have stayed put at 3.
It appears you are buying into the hype more than the reality. There are 3 excellent WR’s, a possible HOF caliber tackle and a LB who many feel will be an impact player in the NFL. Even if Pitts is drafted by the Falcons and one of these other players is drafted by the Bengals, at least 4 excellent players will be sitting there at 6.

The Dolphins don’t need a QB in the draft and they obviously traded down because they will be happy with any of the players that drop down to them at six. I would have been fine with them staying at 12 and keeping the 2022 extra first round pick. So I am glad they made the trade to move down and I have no doubt they will draft an elite talent at 6.

You have that right..for what it's worth..I've heard more than one analyst say Pitts is a more advance pass catcher than Davis ever was at this stage or any stage of their careers..just having "speed and strength" won't make a player the "Best player" at his position. Time will tell.
As I have said repeatedly I am not against the Dolphins drafting Pitts. I just prefer one of the three WR’s. Pitts may or may not be a more advanced receiver than Davis but only time will tell.
I have just seen several TE’s drafted in the first round in the last decade and none of them have reached the level of being the best TE in the league in any season. The better TE’s in the last decade were drafted in the second round or later.

The Dolphins obviously do not consider Pitts a player who they had to have. Because if they felt that way, they would not have traded down and therefore risk losing him to the Falcons or Bengals. I think he is definitely a player they would have an interest in if he is still on the board at 6. Yet I do not think they will be upset at all if he is drafted before the sixth pick and they end up with one of the other players they moved down to six to draft.

I think the Pitts supporters on here will be a lot more upset if Pitts is drafted before the sixth pick than Grier and Flores will be. In fact I think they will likely be hoping that Chase is still on the board instead of Pitts when they make their first selection.

For everyone who thinks that Mel Kiper is a great draft guru here you are:

These guys are paid to make guesses on who is going to be great and at times they are very wrong.
They usually get loud when they are right, but if they are wrong they go mute.

Don't take everything these analysts spout as gospel.

As I have said repeatedly I am not against the Dolphins drafting Pitts. I just prefer one of the three WR’s. Pitts may or may not be a more advanced receiver than Davis but only time will tell.
I have just seen several TE’s drafted in the first round in the last decade and none of them have reached the level of being the best TE in the league in any season. The better TE’s in the last decade were drafted in the second round or later.

The Dolphins obviously do not consider Pitts a player who they had to have. Because if they felt that way, they would not have traded down and therefore risk losing him to the Falcons or Bengals. I think he is definitely a player they would have an interest in if he is still on the board at 6. Yet I do not think they will be upset at all if he is drafted before the sixth pick and they end up with one of the other players they moved down to six to draft.

I think the Pitts supporters on here will be a lot more upset if Pitts is drafted before the sixth pick than Grier and Flores will be. In fact I think they will likely be hoping that Chase is still on the board instead of Pitts when they make their first selection.
You think..but you and I have no idea. Neither do I. No one here on this board does. As someone else said, a draft and team is about more than one player..one player can make a good draft but multiple really good players make a draft class go from good to great. Agreed?

They picked up a 1st in 2023 and a 3rd round composite pick in 2022, was it? I mean, it's hard not to like that, right?

To go from #3 to #12 and #12 to #6? I love Pitts as a player, but if we get Chase or Waddle or Smith or Sewell or Parsons instead, I can't fault the front office too much. At all.

For everyone who thinks that Mel Kiper is a great draft guru here you are:

These guys are paid to make guesses on who is going to be great and at times they are very wrong.
They usually get loud when they are right, but if they are wrong they go mute.

Don't take everything these analysts spout as gospel.
Sure. Even many GM's and Scouts are wrong as much as Kiper..so yeah. No one ever said it was "Gospel" and anyone that does is fooling themselves. :shrug:

I think Devonta Smith is a special player and will almost assuredly be available for the Dolphins to take. I don't buy the frame worries. He was incredible durable in college despite his slim frame and he does not rely on physicality to get open, so I don't see why that would be a huge hindrance in NFL. Most importantly, dude has that type of perfectionist trait that all great sportmans usually have.

I'd be very happy taking him at 6.
Cool.
Smith is pretty special in how sharp and technical his cuts are.

The more days go by, the closer we get to the draft the more I become convinced that we should have stayed put at 3.
I think, sometimes, we're so pessimistic as DolFans that we feel that anything we do was the wrong thing, because 'precedent'. I know I feel that way.
If Grier does something, it's wrong.
Seriously, 'Dion Jordan'. Da Fuq?!?

Plus, I just felt like whatever decision we made last year at 5 was going to be the wrong one, while simultaneously believing Tua was the right guy!
Feelings are not Facts....until they are.

So, yeah, it sucks having the sense of dread that Miami's gonna screw it up no matter how much empirical evidence there is to support the moves we do make. That includes trading out of 3. ...or maybe trading back up to 6! I think that if Waddle makes it to 12 my head will explode.

Well, what's done is done. We're drafting at 6 and i just hope we get it right but really I hope we get this draft right as a whole. We need more than just one player and with 4 of the top 50 picks there's no excuse. Don't draft luxury picks like we did last year with Iggy. 6,18 and 36 should be nothing but dynamic playmakers.

Good luck finding it. I mean I am sure it's possible..but how many teams have one? Maybe you could say a physical corner like Jalen Ramsey could match up? I struggle finding many other corners. And Linebackers? Jamin Davis: Maybe..but how many of them are there.

Jamin Davis still lacks a bit of length compared to Pitts (79 7/8 inches for Davis vs. 83 3/8 inches for Pitts)..but yeah he's a big and fast linebacker with good leaping skills that probably could matchup favorably. I'll have to watch more tape on him.

Let's just say it's few and far between the players that can matchup with Pitts. :shrug:

Yep! There aren't a lot right now...but college programs tend to adapt with pro teams, as well. Jabril Cox, Baron Browning are 2 more big, fast 3-down LB who can cover as well as play against the run. They're becoming a necessity with the adaptation to mobile QB and athletic TE. Athletes will be groomed for that LB/Safety hybrid as long as it's effective.

This year is starting to look like a repeat with this organization that started with JJ....trade back for extra picks, miss out on a special player!

1998...JJ trades out of his first round pick at 19 for the 29th pick. 2 hall of famers are drafted between 19-29 that the draft genius Jimmy didn’t perceive....Randy Moss (an all time great wideout) and Alan Faneca.

He also receives pick 60 in the trade, but he trades down again for 3 later picks.

The net result...we lose hall of famer Randy Moss...we picked up John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton. In other words, for 1st and 2nd round pick...we got 4 nothing’s.....zip!

We repeated the mistake in 2010....Trading out of Earl Thomas for Jared Odrick and Koa
Misi.

Trading down is not a good thing if your missing out on hall of fame talent.

Chris Greer was in a hurry to trade out of pick #3....and the net of trading down to #6 is we may lose out on 1 or 2 special players...Kyle Pitts looks like a truly rare and special talent that was ours at 3....at 6? It’s looking worse everyday!

And for what? A 2023 first round pick two years from now?

If we miss out on Kyle Pitts and he becomes a gold jacket wearing all time great(as I think he will)...this was yet another massive trade down disaster by this organization...I’m praying he gets to 6.

It's not who you have but what you do with them.

Didn't the Dolphins do that once a long time ago?

Winning cures everything!

Lets see where we are after the 2023 draft if you are going to determine if we had success or failure with this years draft.

Couple things I believe:

Mac Jones isn’t going No.3.

The Broncos are moving to 4 or 6.

The Bengals are taking Sewell.

The Lions are taking Smith or Chase.

The Dolphins will not be selecting 18th. I like pick 14 as a trade up spot. Minn has no second but two thirds and a slew of later picks. I suspect something could be done there with pick 50 if an enticing prospect is available (Parsons or Waddle).

Whoever the Eagles take at 12 will not be good.

Picks 10, 11 and 12 look like strong CB spots. Would love to see two DBs go in those 3 spots. Should create some interesting posturing from 3 division foes.

Anyone else have some working theories on random teams or draft spots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom